ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
PeterHOz OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PeterHOz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Aus
Oddometer: 222
Non std Mitas E-07 tyre sizes on F800GS

OK,

Hope I do not asking something which has already been answered (have searched these forums but have not found answer) but here goes.

I am looking for a more offroad suitable road tyre - something like the Heidenau K60s or Mitas E-07.

The Heidenaus are manufactured (note I did not say "available" as the Aus agent is not able to indicate when stock will be available again) in the 150/70-17 size as specified.

I am however able to get hold of Mitas E-07 and Metzeler Sahara 3's but these are not produced in the standard size, only in 140/80-17(Mitas) and 130/80-17(Sahara 3).

Has anyone run the Mitas E-07s on a F800GS and what has your experience been? According to the importer the Mitas will fit, but is not sure how they will perform on rims wider than 4.0". The F8 has a 4.25" rear but I see a number of people are riding around with them on here. Have not been able to get direct feedback from any of them.

I have tried the both Karoos and the TKC80s - too offroad biased for my needs so am not considering those which are available in the recommended size.

Thanks
Pete
__________________
Rather live one day as a lion than a thousand years as a sheep.
90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap
Some things are just un-outworkable
PeterHOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast
 
Bike4Fun's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 1,683
The 800GS Tire Thread (Oh, no you didn't!)

Metzler Karoo vs Conti TKC80 and Mitas E09??
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
PeterHOz OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PeterHOz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Aus
Oddometer: 222
Fitting for the wider 4.25" F800GS rim

Thanks Bike4Fun - did have a look at those forum posts earlier, but although they discuss the tyres I did not find any information (unless I missed something) on fitting the narrower Mitas E-07 tyres on the wider F8 rims.

However, did see the comment on Mitas Stone Kings on the F800GS so unless someone has a different point of view it may be OK to use them, but would appreciate first hand feedback of the E-07 on the F8. Sorry for being a PITA.
__________________
Rather live one day as a lion than a thousand years as a sheep.
90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap
Some things are just un-outworkable

PeterHOz screwed with this post 05-06-2009 at 09:44 PM
PeterHOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.
 
Skippii's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterHOz
I have tried the both Karoos and the TKC80s - too offroad biased for my needs so am not considering those which are available in the recommended size.

Thanks
Pete
Try a Karoo T. The Touring version (T) is more street oriented than the MCE Karoo or the Karoo 2.
__________________
"Umm be careful what you say, this is Skippii....
You may get it delivered in the form of a shake or some interperative dance routine that involves nakedness, pizza and a stuffed raccoon..." -DCrider
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
atgreg
Africatwinarama
 
atgreg's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Sydney Australia
Oddometer: 10,012
guys here in oz have used the 130 & 140 E07's on KTM950/990's with no drama so the 800 should be fine
__________________
1990 RD04 Africa twin 750
350,000km and still going strong
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
PeterHOz OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PeterHOz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Aus
Oddometer: 222
Mitas E-07 ordered

Hi All,

Just managed to catch up with SteveRed by phone and he has been running the 130/80-17s on his F800 without problems, so the 140/80-17s should be fine.

Have just placed the order - will let you know how things go.

Thanks for the feedback

Pete
__________________
Rather live one day as a lion than a thousand years as a sheep.
90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap
Some things are just un-outworkable
PeterHOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
PackMule
love what you do
 
PackMule's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: New Hampshah
Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
guys here in oz have used the 130 & 140 E07's on KTM950/990's with no drama so the 800 should be fine


The F8 has a much wider rim than the KTM's.

(the 140 should still be fine)
__________________
Nate in N.E.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
guys here in oz have used the 130 & 140 E07's on KTM950/990's with no drama so the 800 should be fine
The rear on the F800GS is 150 (width) 70 (aspect ratio) 17 (rim diameter). The F800GS has a very wide rear rim.




IMHO I'd try to stick with a 150/70-17.

If you must go smaller than 150 in the rear, the smallest I would go is 140/80-17. Any smaller and you're going to have problems with the bead breaking off the rim while riding.

A few tires available in 150/70-17 and 90/90-21 are:

Metzeler Tourance
Metzeler Tourance EXP
Metzeler Karoo
Metzeler Karoo T
Continental Trail Attack
Continental TKC-80
AVON Distanzia
Michelin Anakee
Bridgestone BattleWing
Dunlop 607
Shinko 705
Heidenau K60 (not in the States yet, hopefully this Summer)

etc...

F800GS Rear ONLY:

Kenda K270
Maxxis Presa Detour
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.
 
Skippii's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 6,506
The V-strom also takes 150/70-17, and some of the 650 guys run a 130 rear tire. I haven't heard of any problems, but it's generally not recommended.
__________________
"Umm be careful what you say, this is Skippii....
You may get it delivered in the form of a shake or some interperative dance routine that involves nakedness, pizza and a stuffed raccoon..." -DCrider
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:09 AM   #10
raider
Big red dog
 
raider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 1,582
Since you live in NSW and your bike is subject to annual inspection, don't forget that technically, the tyre fitted must match the tyre placard size. So if you opt for narrower, you'll need some originals handy to swap back on at pink slip time.

Most bike pink slip places won't check, however, but it's worth bearing in mind!
__________________
14 R1200GS Adventure
raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:52 AM   #11
PeterHOz OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PeterHOz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Aus
Oddometer: 222
Pink Slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
Since you live in NSW and your bike is subject to annual inspection, don't forget that technically, the tyre fitted must match the tyre placard size. So if you opt for narrower, you'll need some originals handy to swap back on at pink slip time.

Most bike pink slip places won't check, however, but it's worth bearing in mind!
Since the bike is only 6 months old I should hopefully not have to worry about that for a few years. But thanks for the heads up.
__________________
Rather live one day as a lion than a thousand years as a sheep.
90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap
Some things are just un-outworkable
PeterHOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #12
raider
Big red dog
 
raider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 1,582
Really? My July 07-build Strom, transferred from QLD rego, has to be done annually. Do you get some kind of new-bike waiver if it's registered here from new?
__________________
14 R1200GS Adventure
raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast
 
Bike4Fun's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 1,683
Personally I would go down to a 140 but will not go down to a 130. But thats just me.
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #14
PeterHOz OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PeterHOz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Aus
Oddometer: 222
Pink Slip - Required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
Really? My July 07-build Strom, transferred from QLD rego, has to be done annually. Do you get some kind of new-bike waiver if it's registered here from new?
I assume that bikes are subject to the same grace period as cars for pink slips (I did a search on the RTA website but could not find info on whether there is a grace period for bikes. Previous bike was a 2nd hand Dakar which required it each year)

Anyone have the facts regarding the inspection requirements? Does swapping rego from interstate require pink slips when the bike is near new?

Thanks
Pete
__________________
Rather live one day as a lion than a thousand years as a sheep.
90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap
Some things are just un-outworkable
PeterHOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:46 PM   #15
PeterHOz OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PeterHOz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Aus
Oddometer: 222
First impressions Mitas E-07

Received the 140/18-17 rear tyre from www.motorcycletyres.net.au - at $139 I think a pretty good price and the service from Dave was friendly with delivery the next day to Sydney from Melbourne, so all plusses in my book.

Initial Impressions:

On Road: The compound is slightly harder than the Battlewings or the Karoos, but my impression is that the grip on tar is better than the Karoos (because of the larger contact area I would think). Have not ridden them in the wet yet, so will have to wait to see how the harder rubber reacts.

Off Road: Took them for a 300km ride in the Yengo National Park with Gordon, Robe and Albie yesterday. Even though I gave it quite a bit of stick on the loose and rocky stuff the tread showed no sign of ripping (see photos attached) and handled very well in the grip and braking department. The Karoos looked a lot worse for wear after similar distance and terrain. Not sure how they would stack up against the Karoos in the really muddy stuff, but I was pretty happy with them in the sandy and rocky areas.

So - at this stage I am pretty happy with Mitas...

If anything changes I will let you know.

Pete






__________________
Rather live one day as a lion than a thousand years as a sheep.
90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap
Some things are just un-outworkable
PeterHOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014