Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #196
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckah View Post
90 EUR for the set...auch.
They are selling for 67 euros now in Greece got mine replaced 5 days ago...No fuel pump problems after 65k km a lot of fuel filters replaced though...around 5 if I recall well...
Old 12-29-2013, 01:13 AM   #197
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,720
Are problems getting more rare?

Is it an old problem, cured and forgotten?
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #198
种.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 254
-06 990 with 95.000 km, no problems.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #199
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
06 990, 80k km+ no issues.
I do have Safari tanks to fit and am going to put a replacement on when I get round to putting them on.
Someone here is offering 'upgraded' aftermarket pumps for 90 - I'm going with that.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #200
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
I wonder how many assumed pump failures were really plugged filters. And I wonder how many pump failures were filter caused.

My suggestion, after reading the whole thread, is to establish your own filter replacement schedule. I am going with 10,000 miles. And I carry a spare set when travelling.

The GEFR filters and pumps are a great deal and have worked well for me with 8000 miles on a set

Oh yeah, '07 changed pump and filters at 32k miles as preventative measure. No previous problems.

FWIW

renogeorge screwed with this post 12-29-2013 at 08:47 PM
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #201
gpthis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
08 990 11k, had a wire come loose which if I opened it up to visually confirm would have saved a few hundred... Now I've got a spare one..
gpthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #202
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
2011, 990R. I rebuilt the fuel pump at 12,000 miles but it was preventive more than restorative. As of today, 16000 miles, hard use in high mileage freeway to get to high mileage dirt when I can.

BG
2009 Harley Road Glide
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:11 AM   #203
guglemonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
prefiltering at refuelling is the solution

one bad fill up and your delicate mini sized filter will simply sto working

prevention not cure is the solutions gentlemen

just don't wast money on filters and schedule

preilter at fuel cap :)

period
guglemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #204
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

I think pre-filtering at the cap is a good idea. I will do that when in remote areas/getting gas from a barrel or jug in Mexico for example. But, a little pain in the A...with 3 tanks to fill.

Another thought......Fuel from the right side tank is at least filtered by the petcock filter. Same with my Adventure aux tank. Fuel put directly into the left side tank is only filtered by the pump filters. Might be a strategy to not fill left side tank when fuel quality is questionable. Could even fill right side, open both petcocks and allow fuel from right side to fill left side to half full.

Just thinking, sorry to interrupt the poll.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:15 AM   #205
guglemonster
Gnarly Adventurer

wrong ahahah

put at each cap a filter to stay under the cap itself and let the monster filter work for you

it's the same if carburetor or IE, never let the dirt reach your tank again :)

have being oing it for the last 3 years and it's just perfect

eliminated also the ridicolous prefilter and paper jimmick in the pump with my own design.... (ktm 990)

the filters at petcocks, more strainers than real filters, are too lame to protect the over delicate mini prepump strainer and the stupid paper umbrella in the pump itself :)

the work above 50micron range while prefilter (old design is less than 40 microns plastic membrane,m new design maybe less so but no water separation capability) and papre filter are much more sensitive, they will clog so fast you will not finish the tank in case of bad patrol, street or adventure trip it may be

fuel is a must, but it must not be a problem hahahaha

Old 01-01-2014, 12:35 AM   #206
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by guglemonster View Post
wrong ahahah

put at each cap a filter to stay under the cap itself and let the monster filter work for you

it's the same if carburetor or IE, never let the dirt reach your tank again :)

have being oing it for the last 3 years and it's just perfect

eliminated also the ridicolous prefilter and paper jimmick in the pump with my own design.... (ktm 990)

the filters at petcocks, more strainers than real filters, are too lame to protect the over delicate mini prepump strainer and the stupid paper umbrella in the pump itself :)

the work above 50micron range while prefilter (old design is less than 40 microns plastic membrane,m new design maybe less so but no water separation capability) and papre filter are much more sensitive, they will clog so fast you will not finish the tank in case of bad patrol, street or adventure trip it may be

fuel is a must, but it must not be a problem hahahaha

So where are the details on your miraculous new cap filter ?

all I'm see so far is lots of attitude and ridicule
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
MudratinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:03 AM   #207
guglemonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudratinOz View Post
So where are the details on your miraculous new cap filter ?

all I'm see so far is lots of attitude and ridicule
Wow I can see we are on the aggressive side now ;)

My oh my shall we not all live in love peace and motor biking friendship??

First is not new, being using them for three years and selling since two ;)

As for the details, last time I put details to the pump per filter upgrade and no interest showed, all so happy about the poor original set-up, so I do not see such an interest on my side to list myself in the vendor list ;) ;)

I'm happily working in Italy and I'll start Europe next

You see my friend, if you don't feel welcomed why do you insist knocking at the door???

Wish you all the best for new year ;)

Old 07-15-2014, 12:57 AM   #208
brentonodon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Got an '07 990S with 45000mi on her. A few months back I ran bone dry just outside of Gonzalez, CA. Farmer was nice enough to spot me some fuel. Lots of dirt and grit on the can made me a little wary but I had to get back. Been noticing a bit if anemia and hesitation coming out of corners and hard on the throttle. Question is, replace pump or just the filters? Thoughts?
brentonodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #209
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Personally, I would get a pump and 2 sets of filters from Gefr in the vendor section, change out pump and filter and have a filter set in reserve. I changed my originals at 32k miles, not having any problems--just preventative maintenance for an Alaska trip.

FWIW
Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #210
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 955
For those if you with Safari tanks....I installed two ACE001 prefilters from Profill Australia several tankfulls ago. Yes it is more of a pain to fill up...takes about half again as long, mostly just getting the last gallon or so in each side as most of the fillup is as fast as normal...but the peace of mind is worth it. Apparently they will stop water as long as it is small amounts and you get rid of it right away (I pull the filters up to look at them fairly regularly). For those of you with standard caps you could use a filter as a drop-in while filling then store it in a baggy....you might have to trim the plastic lip down on this model to get it to drop down into the recess. Also I believe CJ makes beautiful billet prefilter adaptors to replace the standard filler neck and locking cap.