ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2009, 05:34 AM   #76
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,919

Hell, I'll be there rain or shine. The forecast of rain through the week may make for some muddy boots and number plates
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #77
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
I'm definately in.

I may bring a bitch on the back, too.

She's thinking about it, but isn't sure if she wants to come (actually, she pretty much said no).

How do I convince her to come?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #78
HBN OP
is car free

All I can think of is a number of ways to convince her not to come. I was going to start posting pics but decided against it.

If you need a bigger tent, I can lend you my old one(pay by the hour)
Old 06-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #79
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurgNinja

If you need a bigger tent, I can lend you my old one(pay by the hour)

Actually, a second tent would be useful.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #80
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocox
I don't know?? It's a bmw. Will it make it?

It's survived my thrashing so far, the only casualty being a headlight bolt. Loctite is key here.

I actually found a ~90 mile route almost completely on backroads and forest roads (less about 5 miles), so I could in theory bring my (non-street-legal) 200. Gas is a little bit of a concern though, looks like the closest from the OP gmap marker is about 20 miles by backroads (just above the A marker is Dunkle Hollow Rd, about 4 miles to the OP marker, looks like they connect on satellite view).

The ride looks sweet though, I may take it on the way out anyway if I go with the beemer.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #81
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomo

It's survived my thrashing so far, the only casualty being a headlight bolt. Loctite is key here.

I actually found a ~90 mile route almost completely on backroads and forest roads (less about 5 miles), so I could in theory bring my (non-street-legal) 200. Gas is a little bit of a concern though, looks like the closest from the OP gmap marker is about 20 miles by backroads (just above the A marker is Dunkle Hollow Rd, about 4 miles to the OP marker, looks like they connect on satellite view).

The ride looks sweet though, I may take it on the way out anyway if I go with the beemer.
At least in VA, you need a street-legal bike for all forest roads.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #82
HBN OP
is car free

The road does connect from Dunkle Hollow. I can bring a spare gas can if you need me to. Gas is available in Brandywine and the store off 33 by Coopers Mountain (Giant's Grave)

+1 on legal bike like skippii said.

I want to make a run to that BBQ place in Brandywine, never been and want to try it out (probably will be disappointed)
Old 06-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #83
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Question

Quote:
The road does connect from Dunkle Hollow. I can bring a spare gas can if you need me to.
Speaking of which......
Old 06-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #84
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
+1 on legal bike like skippii said.
In that case, it'll be the yellow behemoth. It may be the case in WV as well, but I have never, ever, ever met a forest ranger in the Seneca Rocks forest area, so who knows (I've only ever ridden my plated bike there, though). I don't like to break the law, and I'd like even less to put anyone else camping in jeopardy of a ruined weekend.

Quote:
I can bring a spare gas can if you need me to.
Naw, I'd scrounge up some fuel bottles if I was really serious about doing it. Maybe I'll put the work into finding some new mirrors and a tail light so I can get the 200 registered and do it right next time around.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #85
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomo
I don't like to break the law, and I'd like even less to put anyone else camping in jeopardy of a ruined weekend.
Don't worry, we don't care if you get arrested.

Quote:
Maybe I'll put the work into finding some new mirrors and a tail light so I can get the 200 registered and do it right next time around.
I have some mirrors and a spare tail light/turn signal/licence plate assembly. Would probably take some work getting it to fit on your bike, though!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #86
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,344
And I have a few extra motorcycle tags laying around ........ I'm kinda worried about my freaking exhaust since it has no spark arrestor etc. I'll just go nice and easyyyyyyyyyy..
Old 06-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #87
HBN OP
is car free

What is the law on group rides in the national forest. I thought I overheard someone once mention that any group of x many people riding together can be considered an unlicensed event if preplanned. Anybody know the truth on this in the NF? Psucanary?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #88
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos
And I have a few extra motorcycle tags laying around ........ I'm kinda worried about my freaking exhaust since it has no spark arrestor etc. I'll just go nice and easyyyyyyyyyy..
Forest Ranger Dan: "You boys have spark arrestors on those bikes?"

"Spark arrestor? What's a spark arrestor? This is how my bike came when I bought it. I didn't know I was needing to arrest any sparks."

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #89
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars
Forest Ranger Dan: "You boys have spark arrestors on those bikes?"

"Spark arrestor? What's a spark arrestor? This is how my bike came when I bought it. I didn't know I was needing to arrest any sparks."

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...roup?Ntt=spark

$10 for a spark arrestor....probably worth it.
5 minutes to weld it in place, or just use high temp/exhaust epoxy.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #90
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
What is the law on group rides in the national forest. I thought I overheard someone once mention that any group of x many people riding together can be considered an unlicensed event if preplanned. Anybody know the truth on this in the NF? Psucanary?
You're not worried about this weekend are you? I know that with the Shenandoah 500 they don't get a permit but they do tell the forest service and make sure they are okay with it.

There is no difference from a group a Corvette owners getting together to ride to golden coral that us ridding gravel state maintained roads to eat at a gas station. (Except they have more money)

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote