ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #91
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars
You're not worried about this weekend are you? I know that with the Shenandoah 500 they don't get a permit but they do tell the forest service and make sure they are okay with it.
The forest service does a bit more for the S500. They actually go and open closed roads for that one, and they do get a special use approval for the ride

Quote:
We can't host this event without the support of the U.S. Forest Service - would you please take a moment to send the Ranger (Elwood Burge) and the Special Use Permit Mgr (Christian Canary) a letter or email thanking them for their support? These folks got the gates to all the roads we used opened in time for the event and worked closely with us to adjust our route to avoid the other events going on in the Forest last weekend.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #92
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos
And I have a few extra motorcycle tags laying around ........ I'm kinda worried about my freaking exhaust since it has no spark arrestor etc. I'll just go nice and easyyyyyyyyyy..
I could be talking out my arse, but I'm reasonably sure that a catalytic converter serves the same purpose, i.e. not spewing flaming gasoline chunks out the back of the pipe(s).

Edit: I don't think the stock silencer on my GS has a spark arrestor, but it does have [at least] 2 cats.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #93
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,920
That would be like asking a car if they had their spark arrestors installed
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #94
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
The forest service does a bit more for the S500. They actually go and open closed roads for that one, and they do get a special use approval for the ride
huh.. didn't know that.. thanks...

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #95
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Ironically, a cat is more likely to start a forest fire than a wayward spark from exhaust. Those suckers get HOT! They are also mounted very low on most vehicles, and a lot of times not covered by skid plates.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #96
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,346
I could have swore I've seen somewhere that spark arrestors are required for nat'l forest riding ???
Old 06-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #97
crossEDup
Sir Fallsalot

Oddometer: 233
spark arrestors

Quote:
I could have swore I've seen somewhere that spark arrestors are required for nat'l forest riding ???
Never had a Ranger check my bike (I retained the factory spark arrested exhaust) but I believe there's a reference to the requirement in the rules governing National Forest OHV riding areas (Pedlar, Taskers, Rocky Run, Shoe Creek, Sherondo, etc.). Probably also listed in the NF website regarding vehicles in NF areas. Like others have said, rule doesn't make much sense, but if it's in there, running w/o one in today's heightened enforcement environment may provide you with an opportunity to present your logic in a Federal Court.
crossEDup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #98
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
I think you are correct on that one Chris. If your pipe is legal it should be stamped on it. Most bikes with factory exhaust should be OK but an MX bike has a pipe for closed course competition. That would not be legal. You can buy slip on S/A's if you aren't using the factory pipe.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #99
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
P.S. Knowing this.. Hatfield requires a S/A but as many times as I have been there my pipe was never checked.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #100
VaMountainBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I would like to come and bring a friend or 2 . But had a couple of questions . We probably will not be camping and would haul the bikes in on SAT or SUN morning and if so what will ya'll start riding . Will there be gas stops under 80 miles apart. Will 1 day be more dirt or rough stuff than the other if so what day is what. We will be riding a 453 EXC and WR 450 and a KLX or 2. Thanks
VaMountainBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #101
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,346
JD is that you? I hope the gas stops are 80 miles or less or else I'll be pushing
Old 06-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #102
VaMountainBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Yeah Chris it's me. I hope everything works out so we can ride together this weekend. Its been a while huh.
VaMountainBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:30 AM   #103
HBN OP
is car free

Hey there. Yes you and a friend are more than welcome to tag along. I imagine Saturday will be a rougher riding day for exploring. Everyone post up the relative time you may show up (within a few hours) to make it easier to gauge when we will be riding. I should be there around 9 or 10AM and will just be kicking it waiting for yahoos to show up. I need gas every 80-100mi so YES, gas stops will be in order. Skippii may bring me some gas cans so we can always refuel at camp some.

Sunday is usually when everyone wakes up, scratches their butt, packs up those old beer bottles and heads for the closest shower There may be some riding though
Old 06-09-2009, 04:55 AM   #104
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurgNinja
Hey there. Yes you and a friend are more than welcome to tag along. I imagine Saturday will be a rougher riding day for exploring. Everyone post up the relative time you may show up (within a few hours) to make it easier to gauge when we will be riding. I should be there around 9 or 10AM and will just be kicking it waiting for yahoos to show up. I need gas every 80-100mi so YES, gas stops will be in order. Skippii may bring me some gas cans so we can always refuel at camp some.

Sunday is usually when everyone wakes up, scratches their butt, packs up those old beer bottles and heads for the closest shower There may be some riding though
I don't have a clue when I'll be there. I'll pack up the bike the night before, sleep in my leathers, and whenever someone calls me and says "I'm riding by your house in 5 minutes, wake up and join us," I'll get up and ride.

For those who don't know-- I live right off 33 on the West side of Hburg.
I'd love to have some company for the ride up.
703 861 8755
Old 06-09-2009, 05:21 AM   #105
HBN OP
is car free

I'd call but with night shift(?) you'd only have two hours of sleep

Lets say a dirt ride from the campsite around 2 or 3pm? That should give us enough time to set up, let out of towners arrive, while providing 4-5 hours of riding. Folks can always hit the Rawley mud if they are getting impatient.

Oh and this is a Cat Herders sorta thing, so all bets are off, plans could be thrown to the wind at any time. No refunds available