ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #271
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
Not sure if covered earlier here but some guys seem to swear by the filter cleaning mod, which reverses the pump on shutdown to blow out the pre filter. CJ sells them, which puts it several notches higher on the believability scale for me...any experience here?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #272
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,819
I would think the best filter cleaning would be new filters.

But then it is a personal choice.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #273
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
Changing filters is not a five minute job and not one you want to do on the side of the road...the purge kit is designed to make the intervals longer between having to replace filters, maybe negating the need to change filters at all, depending on how well the system works and how poor the fuel quality is. I have seen the same principal applied to 400 kW pumps used in underground mining. On shutdown the normal checkvalve is bypassed for a certain period to flush out the suction screen on the priming pump. From CJ's website:

We have a few test riders use them over the last few years and many thousands of miles. Reports back have said there filters are still looking in great shape, when they would be dark by now. They are still in there bike now.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #274
fredbenz
2 wheel adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Don't know if anyone is still paying attention to this thread... ?

From reading through it I'm convinced that the issues I've had with my '07 990 are due to the 'cavitation' issue with the pre-filter, (thanks to "Autostream" for his explanation).

My next step is to get the rebuild kit (O-Rings seperately). No issues there.

My question is if/when it occurs again... i.e. the teabag/sock intake filter gets clogged and cavitation starts again, is there any way to clean that filter even if only as a temporary fix or is the case that once it gets clogged with debris the only choices are to either replace it or remove it (temporarily).

Appreciate the thoughts/experience of those who know more
'04 KTM 200 EXC
fredbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:25 PM   #275
KTMbageera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
You might consider CJ Designs fuel filler filter upgrade. I installed the new filler necks with pre filters on my 09' 990R and they really extend the service life/frequency of my filters. + they look cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEI2Ancvd3w
KTMbageera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:19 AM   #276
guglemonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
hallo fredbenz

if you have the new prefilter from ktm, left on the image, right the old plaastic membrane type

you can wash it with a solution of fuel injector and clean petrol, light mixture, let it soak for some 20 minutes, blow it from inside, dip again and repeat 3 times, it will get 80/85% as good as new

as prefiltering, the original ktm is not selective enough to preserve the original filter set

it's only monolayer and far too expensive, far too much
guglemonster is offline   Reply With Quote