ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #31
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
I'm fairly convinced now that the pump Keihin makes for the 990 is a proprietary KTM part.

I broke down and bought an entire spare assembly from KTM.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #32
alphajory
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
crash i agree that the whole assembly is proprietary to ktm but i can't believe that they, keihin, would design a pump specifically for the 990 as it is such a small market in the whole scheme of things. I bet that the actual pump itself is a standard part that is used in other applications the question is how to find out what other applications and keihin will not going to provide that information. Now if we could find a distributorship that stocks keihin FI pumps there would be the possibility of finding a match.
alphajory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #33
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
I understand. It does kind of chap my ass that KTM makes you buy the whole pump assembly, and dont even get me started about the $135 fuel filters.

In the end, I am stripping the pressure regulator, pump, orings and fuel filters to put in my kit, no sense in carrying the whole enchilada.

Someone might figure out how to get the individual parts but it wont be directly from Keihin.

Sudco might be able to get those pumps as they sell all kinds of Keihin carbs and parts. It might be worth a call.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:41 AM   #34
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
I understand. It does kind of chap my ass that KTM makes you buy the whole pump assembly, and dont even get me started about the $135 fuel filters.

In the end, I am stripping the pressure regulator, pump, orings and fuel filters to put in my kit, no sense in carrying the whole enchilada.

Someone might figure out how to get the individual parts but it wont be directly from Keihin.

Sudco might be able to get those pumps as they sell all kinds of Keihin carbs and parts. It might be worth a call.
thanks for your efforts and pity that you had to pop the dollars finally for the pump kit.

i have done as much internet research as possible but being in this motoaccessory-unfriendly aprt of the worl does not help either.

If i can get some one to confirm/provide the pressure and flow ratings of the stock pump, i can start my search all over again at the local dealers/distributors and find if any resources are available.

It would also be helfull if some of you US guys gave a call to carb/fuelpump dealers experts to find some info on this ?

cheers & thx again all YFF's
Old 07-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #35
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,807
I should quote another thread in here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422042
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:20 AM   #36
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Thanks Gefr,

I went through this thread looking for vital info that i needed (flow & pressure ratings) but did not find any. Also, the direction/approach of that thread to the FI pump problem is different, in the sense that its an attempt to find an external pump to replace the internal fuel pump on the 990.

Whereas, we are (on this thread) attempting to find only the Fuel pump (instead of the whole fuel pump assembly that KTM sells for 500USD+) to be procured as spare.

cheers
Vick
Old 07-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #37
shawty950
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Ok..i'm motivated...mines playing up...

Hi all, subscribed to this a fair while ago...and had a bit of a play trying to find the pump somewhere on the interwebby but didn't have much luck at the time.

Now....Mine has started to miss and cut out during wheelies with half a tank of fuel or less and last night rolled on from 3500 rpm and missed a bit before picking up.

Re-read this thread last night and had an idea...search for sock type fuel filters with the idea of either trying to find a match OR something that could be modified somehow.

So far...in a very limited search...found this

http://www.corvetteparts.com/details/iid/13312401.htm

Which would require a mod to the plastic attachment point on this photo..to the left of Mr V's thumb to turn it into a round mounting point..

Anyways...still looking...and will post if I find something....

Shawty

Edit...I got all excited and then realised that this thread was really about finding another "pump" at a cheaper price rather than getting a filter at a cheaper price. My apologies...if this redirecting from Mr V's original idea for this thread.
Shawty

PPS...just ordered this one http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...65&partID=5840
But will have to wait till it gets to Australia before I can play with it...;-)

shawty950 screwed with this post 07-29-2009 at 01:32 AM
shawty950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:25 AM   #38
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawty950
Hi all, subscribed to this a fair while ago...and had a bit of a play trying to find the pump somewhere on the interwebby but didn't have much luck at the time.

Now....Mine has started to miss and cut out during wheelies with half a tank of fuel or less and last night rolled on from 3500 rpm and missed a bit before picking up.

Re-read this thread last night and had an idea...search for sock type fuel filters with the idea of either trying to find a match OR something that could be modified somehow.

So far...in a very limited search...found this

http://www.corvetteparts.com/details/iid/13312401.htm

Which would require a mod to the plastic attachment point on this photo..to the left of Mr V's thumb to turn it into a round mounting point..

Anyways...still looking...and will post if I find something....

Shawty

Edit...I got all excited and then realised that this thread was really about finding another "pump" at a cheaper price rather than getting a filter at a cheaper price. My apologies...if this redirecting from Mr V's original idea for this thread.
Shawty

PPS...just ordered this one http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...65&partID=5840
But will have to wait till it gets to Australia before I can play with it...;-)
any information is good information !!!

pls continue your good work & report back the results if you are able to adapt the corvette filter to the stock pump. The KTM spare fuel filter at 114USD is not a cheap one either

Although we are looking for alternate sources for the fuel pump (alone), any other info is surely welcome.

thanks for your efforts
cheers

edit : I don't think the filter you found will work. Looks like the filter will be perpendicular when mounted on the pump, whereas the KTM sock filter has the adapter which makes the filter parallel to the pump when mounted.

Vicks screwed with this post 07-29-2009 at 02:29 AM Reason: re-read the post
Vicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #39
alphajory
Studly Adventurer

if you look at the dimensions on the spec sheet compared to vicks measurements it looks like a type c or d. now if some one has the current draw it would narrow it down a bit. I would go ahead and order one and match it up to see if it is the same. Now if i just find a supplier that is willing to one a pump we might be a step closer.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #40
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajory
if you look at the dimensions on the spec sheet compared to vicks measurements it looks like a type c or d. now if some one has the current draw it would narrow it down a bit. I would go ahead and order one and match it up to see if it is the same. Now if i just find a supplier that is willing to one a pump we might be a step closer.
Current draw for Type C is 5.0A @ 12VDC and for the Type D, it is 3.8A @ 12VDC.

Edit : Sorry, i thought you were asking for the current draw of the Type C & D pumps, and after re-reading your post, i understood that you were asking for the current draw of the stock pump. Let me try to do some measurements over this weekend and get the figures for you.

I can't believe that none of the inmates know the fuel flow & pressure ratings for the stock pump on the 990 . C'mon guys, we need yar help here ..... This info will be critical to finding the right model of keihin pump, one less problem.

Vicks screwed with this post 07-29-2009 at 11:45 PM
Vicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #41
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,974
Ive already had one go and another fitted , the new one started to play up giong in to the Australian Simpson desert. It really sucks when you cane it up a dune only for the pump to cut out under load nearing the top . atleast i made it thru.

Then just taking it easy ,no gear on with a mate following in a tin top it started to fail again at high revs under load it would just not produce enough fuel for the motor.
i'm lost as to what is the cause.

Hope you find a solution.
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:28 AM   #42
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
The fix: buying a set of CVK40s or FCR41s

Fuel pressure is 3.5 bar(51.45 psi) as per this post
Tahoeacr is the EFi master
Old 07-30-2009, 02:13 AM   #43
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme 2
Ive already had one go and another fitted , the new one started to play up giong in to the Australian Simpson desert. It really sucks when you cane it up a dune only for the pump to cut out under load nearing the top . atleast i made it thru.

Then just taking it easy ,no gear on with a mate following in a tin top it started to fail again at high revs under load it would just not produce enough fuel for the motor.
i'm lost as to what is the cause.

Hope you find a solution.
sorry to hear about the failure of your 2nd pump Have you flushed your tanks ? might give you an indication if its dirt still remaining in the gas tanks that are the casue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake
The fix: buying a set of CVK40s or FCR41s

Fuel pressure is 3.5 bar(51.45 psi) as per this post
Tahoeacr is the EFi master
The Type-C is 294kPa (42.64psi) & the Type-D is 250kPa (36.26psi) and these are standard pressure ratings @ 90Lt/Hr & 70Lt/Hr respectively.

If the fuel pressure is indeed 51.45psi (354.73kPa), then the next thing we need to find out is at what flow rate ?

Doing some mental math, i can remember riding 120kms in an hour at pretty constant speeds in 6th gear on a straight desert highway and she drank like 10ltrs on this stretch. So, can we safely assume that the stock pump on the 990 is rated for 51.45psi @ approx. 10-20Lt/hr ??

So, what do we infer from this now ?
Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #44
alphajory
Studly Adventurer

so the type c pump has the volume and close to the pressure rating. if it is fact a type c i wonder if having the pressure regulator set at 3.5 bar is stressing the pump and causing it to prematurely fail. I will try and find keilin dealer that is willing to bring a pump in.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #45
shawty950
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Outcome of pump strip

Hi guys, posted this in the other thread..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=41

Think my pump and screen are ok..just the paper filter being the issue.

Shawty

ps...will post pics of the remote filter when finished.
shawty950 is offline   Reply With Quote