User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
The Jester OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
G650X Aux tank - Option 3

Like many here, I can't afford the xtank and the tank Muckpee is developing seems to have stalled. A colleague gave me the number of one of his friends and said to ring him. He runs a small firm with another bloke who used to build jet-fighters so the quality of work should be pretty good. Following a quick conversation I emailed him photos of the various tanks people have used and made to see what he could do.

I have just come off the phone and things are looking very good. He expects to be able to make a tank similar to the race version that inspired the xtank, to hold around 7L, from polished alloy. He is making the tank so that it can be produced on a limited run, keeping tooling costs to the minimum. The plan is to drop my bike with him for a couple of days in a fortnight so that they can take detailed measurements and make a tank. The final price is yet to be confirmed but he said it will cost more than Muckpees expected $200 but not hugely more, certainly a lot cheaper than the xtank.

Obviously the 1st tank is more expensive, and I would like to get some of the setup costs back. Anybody interested?

Iain

New thread started as suggested.

I'll post updates here as I get them. Add your name below if you are interested so I can try to haggle for a discount on production costs.

So far:
Sno dawg
werner747
Motor-110
Gunslinger1

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester
Like many here, I can't afford the xtank and the tank Muckpee is developing seems to have stalled. A colleague gave me the number of one of his friends and said to ring him. He runs a small firm with another bloke who used to build jet-fighters so the quality of work should be pretty good. Following a quick conversation I emailed him photos of the various tanks people have used and made to see what he could do.

I have just come off the phone and things are looking very good. He expects to be able to make a tank similar to the race version that inspired the xtank, to hold around 7L, from polished alloy. He is making the tank so that it can be produced on a limited run, keeping tooling costs to the minimum. The plan is to drop my bike with him for a couple of days in a fortnight so that they can take detailed measurements and make a tank. The final price is yet to be confirmed but he said it will cost more than Muckpees expected $200 but not hugely more, certainly a lot cheaper than the xtank.

Obviously the 1st tank is more expensive, and I would like to get some of the setup costs back. Anybody interested?

Iain

I'll post updates here as I get them. Add your name below if you are interested so I can try to haggle for a discount on production costs.

So far:
Sno dawg
werner747
Motor-110
Gunslinger1
bwfox
www.gnatsass.net
Bert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Motor-110
...respect my Authoritah!

Oddometer: 592
Quote:

So far:
Sno dawg
werner747
Motor-110
Gunslinger1
Alright, on board awaiting further instructions .
Old 05-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 617
BRING IT ON
Old 05-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Sno Dawg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Wink waiting patiently......again - good luck!!

this is going to be interesting
I wish you luck and will be following this closely!

Please keep us posted and feel free to say that it can't be done economically, then I can begin my search again. I held my breath patiently for Muckpees tank as it sounded like a fantastic idea. It sound like he is a busy guy and the tank is on hold indefinately - I am not mad, just searching......

Teeth to the wind,
Sno Dawg

Quote:

Iain

So far:
Sno dawg
werner747
Motor-110
Gunslinger1
Sno Dawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 2,943
Quote:

So far:
Sno dawg
werner747
Motor-110
Gunslinger1
tbarstow
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,146
I think it's pretty safe to say that there are about 100 guys who are interested -- all you got to do is send out a mass PM to all the responders on the Muckpee thread.

I'm definitely interested, though I know the tank won't be ready until after I'm back from my last long ride of the summer. In fact, if anybody's interested, I know FOR A FACT this new tank will be ready to go on the exact day I get back from my trip to New York in late August/early September. Murphy told me so.

In the meantime, I have one 2-liter and two 1-liter fuel bottles that I'll stow in my luggage. I'm getting about 55mpg, so these bottles will get my range up to about 190 miles.
4XKPN - sold
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
mreich77
GUNIVY

Oddometer: 161
Count me in...
mreich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
Ferrisian
Blast if I have to...

Oddometer: 6
G650X Aux tank - Option 3

Sounds good to me...
Old 05-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
R80 STrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I second DRONE's comment. Come in with a product that relates well to Max's tank or Muckapee's at a cost up to the mid $200's and you'll sell them. I can't afford Max's (need two) and Muckpee seems to be unavailable so ... If someone doesn't come through with a reasonable option I'm going the Epoxy/Fiberglass or Carbon routine.
R80 STrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,058
When you start selling, I'll move this to Vendors.

Posting pics would be plus
Old 05-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
Rubbernecker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Thumb

i'm in.
Rubbernecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
ONYERBIKE
LE Rosbeeeeef!

Oddometer: 351
Count me in, obviously depending on price and finished product quality.
ONYERBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:07 AM   #14
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
I'm outside the States but provided price is reasonable and u ship to New Zealand I'm for one.

Thanks
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:56 AM   #15
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
I want one too.