Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564

Razorbak screwed with this post 04-23-2004 at 06:28 PM
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 01:22 PM   #2
zicore
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Yes. It is still a great ride. I think it is the closest thing Northwest Arkansas has to a roller coaster! There is a new interstate that goes to Fort Smith which has taken almost all of the cars off the pig trail. So it might even be better now.
zicore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 02:48 PM   #3
zicore
n00b

Unfortunately, I have not ridden the Talimena Scenic Byway. I have read about it and I plan to do it sometime this summer. I'll let you know after I give it a shot.

I think it will be hard to beat the pig trail. But maybe I am biased because I am only about 20 mins from the pig trail.
Old 06-25-2002, 03:07 AM   #4
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,169
Zicore,

do you know any good routes from Paragould to Hot Springs?? I want to go around the west of LR.
IBA#10787

We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 03:15 PM   #5
zicore
n00b

Ok, I finally got around to trying out most of the Talimena Scenic Drive on Sunday.

We left from Fayetteville and decided to go down the pigtrail to get down to Mena. That way both roads would be fresh in my memory so I could compare them as best I could.

Here are my opinions.

Talimena VS Pigtrail

The winner for the most enjoyable ride:
Talimena

Most curvy ride:
Pigtrail

I liked the Talimena because there was more to see along the way. You are riding on a mountain ridge most of the way and there are great views into the valleys. I also like the Talimena because I didn't feel as blind in the curves as you do with the pigtrail. I noticed that the Oklahoma hiway department looked like it did a lot less maintenace. As soon as you get into Oklahoma the sides of the road are overgrown. There is no shoulder on the side of the road so it is just road and then tall weeds and brush. That created a cool feeling riding through it like that but on the other hand I was just waiting for some unseen wildlife to dart out right in front of me. (nothing did)

There is nothing on the Talimena drive that I can remember but the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge. We did not ride much past where 259 intersects in Oklahoma because my buddy was almost out of gas. :mad: I will be back to try the rest out.

I still love the pigtail. When you are on the pigtrail you are completely surrounded by trees. On some of the curviest spots it feels like you are riding through a tunnel of trees.

Maybe I am leaning more toward Talimena because it is new to me. I guess I will report back next time I try it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

BTW, I sold the f650.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:57 PM   #6
thencamebronson
Takin' a trip?

Oddometer: 725
The best road in NW Ar IMO is AR341 which runs from near Mt View to Mt Home. Also known as Push Mountain Road. No traffic, no LEO's, excellent curves, and great road surface.
thencamebronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 01:56 PM   #7
zicore
n00b

Thanks for the tip!

I will try that one next.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:34 PM   #8
Killen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Question

Razor when you lived in Arkansas who was a better kisser??? your sister or your cuzin'?
Killen is offline   Reply With Quote