User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2009, 05:25 AM   #1
vtduc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Bultaco Metralla advice needed

A friend of mine brought over a Bultaco Metralla he came by a few years back. Supposedly it was rebuilt after he purchased it. He stated that he could start and ride it a mile or two before it would quit. If he let it sit for a while, he could re-start it and repeat the same mile or two befor it quit. It sat in my garage over the winter and we tried to start it yesterday. Fresh gas and pre-mix, clean plug. Its getting gas and spark, but will only fire briefly, and dies as soon as throttle is opened. If I pull the plug after it dies, its wet w/ gas. Supposedly my friend saw it run up and down the road after the rebuild, but I don't think he actually rode it any distance.

The bike has an old single pull Amal Concentric carb, and the only thing I can think of is that the float height is way off. I've found some info on that type of carb, but I haven't tried to pull anything apart yet.

Any advice from the collective?

Thanks in advance
vtduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,036
Back in the day I can remember several Bultacos had problems with the ignition system failing in just a fashion as you describe. May not be your problem but try pulling the plug and checking for spark when it dies again. Bill.
RecycledRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Donzzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
There is a few things that could be wrong with it.

1. They were wired so that when the tail light went out, you would depress the rear brake lever and it would shut the bike off. It 's weird, but will drive you crazy if you don't know it. It was supposed to be a safety thing, so you wouldn't ride in the dark without a tail light. Try a tail light bulb first.

2. There is a little pen spring and ball in the handel bar mounted head light switch. Sometimes the little ball pops out and will roll around and make contact with the kill button. Then it will then move away let the bike start then not do it again 'till whenever.

3. The coil mounted under the gas tank could be bad. Sometimes when they warm up they quit.

4. Bultaco's had some crappy wiring to start out with. Believe me it didn't get better with age. Them little bakeolite connectors that held them together were no real prizes either. Check to see if something's loose in them.

5. Last but not least. The stator could be bad. I would save that for last, as it is not usually the problem and it is the most expensive part.

Parts can usually be found on e bay or go directly to Hugh's Bultaco in NY www.bultaco.com 518 851 7184.

When they run they are great little bikes. Feel free to PM me if you have any other problems with your Bultaco's.

Zilla!

Jaki-metralla
Donzzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
vtduc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys! We'll check for those electrical gremlins.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
put a Boyer Brandson ignition in it and youll never have another problem, or should I say No Mas Problemos de Electronicos.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
Donzzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
That would be nice if they made one for the BultacoI have also had my share of the BB ignitions fail also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
put a Boyer Brandson ignition in it and youll never have another problem, or should I say No Mas Problemos de Electronicos.
Donzzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,181
I had a mud dauber build a nest in the exhaust of a old hodaka I had, I kicked on it for days, all it would do was foul the plug.
crampfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,285
check the condenser. Not sure on Metrallas, but most of the sherpa Ts had the condenser mounted behind the flywheel where the heat from the engine could cause the crappy thing to fail.
On my bikes, I rewire so the condenser is up under the gas tank, next to the coil where things are a little cooler.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
vtduc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks again for the replies!!! The burning question in my mind is: We can kick the bike over w/ the plug removed, and it shows consistent (albeit weak....when kicking (low revs)) spark, But when the bike is kicked over w/ a clean plug inserted and the carb tickled, it goes RING RING Ring Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring, and then dies. The headlight lights up bright when its running for those few seconds (glows when kicked over) but I haven't looked at the tail light yet during the process. We just can't keep it going once it catches, either bogging or starving when the throttle is applied. That keeps me thinking its a gas issue, but I've never been particularly good w/ 2 strokes (I traded an RD400 for 3 cords of firewood about 20 years ago, because I couldn't get the Zen of getting it tuned properly...............
Old 05-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
channelcat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Zilla rocks...
TH
bmwthrottlesprings.com
channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtduc
Thanks again for the replies!!! The burning question in my mind is: We can kick the bike over w/ the plug removed, and it shows consistent (albeit weak....when kicking (low revs)) spark, But when the bike is kicked over w/ a clean plug inserted and the carb tickled, it goes RING RING Ring Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring, and then dies. The headlight lights up bright when its running for those few seconds (glows when kicked over) but I haven't looked at the tail light yet during the process. We just can't keep it going once it catches, either bogging or starving when the throttle is applied. That keeps me thinking its a gas issue, but I've never been particularly good w/ 2 strokes (I traded an RD400 for 3 cords of firewood about 20 years ago, because I couldn't get the Zen of getting it tuned properly...............
Sound like a fuel flow problem to me. Check to see that the petcock flows well, and then check flow through the float needle.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:19 AM   #12
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Bultaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtduc
A friend of mine brought over a Bultaco Metralla he came by a few years back. Supposedly it was rebuilt after he purchased it. He stated that he could start and ride it a mile or two before it would quit. If he let it sit for a while, he could re-start it and repeat the same mile or two befor it quit.

Any advice from the collective?

Thanks in advance

Change the condenser and measure fuel flow at the petcock. Leave the old condenser on the stator plate and run a wire up under the gas tank to the new condenser. Lawn mower condensers work fine. The FEMSA ignition system is solid, I have logged thousands of miles with out problems.
Make sure end vent the ignition cover, I would drill one in the bottom of the cover.

Dave
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #13
Nitro_Fluffy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
You might wanna pull the head(s) and see if it's been seizing. I'm assuming this is a two stroke, and you're using premix?
Old 05-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #14
ducsingle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
MZ-B makes an electronic ignition kit for the Metralla. Rick Yamane on the bevelheads list can get you one.
ducsingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #15
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Metralla electrical gremlins redux:

My Model 8 is having issues.
Went through it - carbs - new plug cap - new plugs - coil checked out (and even tried it with a new one) - new condenser and points checked (and re-checked).

Was running great though headlight was a high beam wouldn't work and the low beam was very bright.
Tail light also out.

Cleaned switch and headlights worked as they should.

Checked wiring and curcuit on the tail light and and those checked out.

Took it for a ride and still ran fine.
Got a new tail light bulb and then the it all went to hell.

Wouldn't start.
Put old bulb back in - still wouldn't start.
No spark - kept fiddling - tried new coil. Still no spark - put old one back on ( since there was really nothing wrong with it )
Checked points again.
No spark - no spark - no spark - THEN a beautiful healthy spark for a few kicks - THEN no spark........

Could there be a short ?
If so where should I be looking ? - Tail light curcuit ? - Magneto ?

Thanks for any help.
jcf is offline   Reply With Quote