ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
parkerfe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Talking The Hooch 2009 - Ga. Dual Sport Ride - entry deadline 5-16-09

Who's going? ... http://webpages.charter.net/dreher/g...hFlyer2009.pdf
Old 05-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
drsmiley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
The Hooch

Why are you charging $80.00 for just the riding for 2 days, when you can ride ride all those FS roads for free all the time? I don't mind contributing to our riding areas, but for that price dinner and T- shirt ought to be included. Maybe even the camping also.
drsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
Some people need a route sheet I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley
Why are you charging $80.00 for just the riding for 2 days, when you can ride ride all those FS roads for free all the time? I don't mind contributing to our riding areas, but for that price dinner and T- shirt ought to be included. Maybe even the camping also.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:19 AM   #4
svwayne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
All proceeds from the event are used to maintain the USFS ORV areas in Georgia. If anyone has ever turned a wheel at Whissenhunt, Town Creek, Locust Stake, Beasley Knob, etc, then they've been the beneficiary of some of GARTRA's work.

You're right, you can ride most of those FS roads for free just about any time of the year. In past events there have been a few normally gated roads opened to GARTRA just for this event so there is a possibility you might get to ride something new. Many people are not familiar with the area and this is an easy (and relatively cheap) way to get introduced to it. You will get breakfast(sort of) and a great lunch each day.

GARTRA could include a T-shirt and dinner each night with the $80 fee but that doesn't leave much $$ to fund trail maintenance and construction. Personally, I would rather have a few more miles of trails in the woods than another t-shirt in the closet and the last thing I need is another meal (just ask my wife ).

The price/value equation doesn't pass muster with everyone and I don't think that it is intended to. This event has sold out every year for the last several which tells me that there are enough riders out there who think it is worth the $$.
svwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:41 AM   #5
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,604
Is the route big bike friendly or is this a thumper ride? I ask because I see places to check off for 'two up' riders.

Are you saying that there ARE some usually gated roads that WILL be open only for this event?

Don't forget about the camaraderie this event brings. It sounds like a great way to meet some more riding buddies, which is never a bad thing.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #6
svwayne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Is the route big bike friendly or is this a thumper ride? I ask because I see places to check off for 'two up' riders.

Are you saying that there ARE some usually gated roads that WILL be open only for this event?

Don't forget about the camaraderie this event brings. It sounds like a great way to meet some more riding buddies, which is never a bad thing.
Flux,

Email or call John Medicus, his contact info is on the flyer, about 2-up big bike friendliness. Last year's event would have been fine 2-up for someone like yourself that knows what dirt looks like. FWIW - I've ridden other GARTRA events 2-up w/my 13yo daughter on a DR650 with no problems.

Last year, IIRC, there were 2-3 FS roads that we rode that are normally gated. Again, check with John for the specifics.

The event is staged out of the Skeenah Creek Campground and there is never a shortage of bench racng and cold beer!
svwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by svwayne
This event has sold out every year for the last several which tells me [...] it is worth the $$.
Exactly. There must be a reasonable value there if people keep paying and going. I haven't been, and I'd like to go.

Anders
Old 05-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by svwayne
Flux,

Email or call John Medicus, his contact info is on the flyer, about 2-up big bike friendliness. Last year's event would have been fine 2-up for someone like yourself that knows what dirt looks like. FWIW - I've ridden other GARTRA events 2-up w/my 13yo daughter on a DR650 with no problems.

Last year, IIRC, there were 2-3 FS roads that we rode that are normally gated. Again, check with John for the specifics.

The event is staged out of the Skeenah Creek Campground and there is never a shortage of bench racng and cold beer!
Thanks man. I was mostly asking about 2 up for other people, still, if I can clear my schedule I might be up for riding the Tiger. I still haven't decided.

I thought somehow you were officially tied to this event, sorry for the mistake. You SHOULD be though, yer doing a good job selling it!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
atwowheelguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Sorry, that just doesn't add up.

Such a deal that would be! Two bagel and coffee breakfasts (maybe $3.00 cost), two lunches ($20 GARTRA's cost), t-shirt ($6 cost), dinner ($15 GARTRA's cost, not a penny of profit there) and camping ($50 for a tent site for two nights). $94 worth of out of pocket cost for an entry fee of $80 would be great. Only GARTRA would go broke fast, not to mention the insurance premium fee for this event they have to pay. Not a very good business plan, especially for a non-profit club of non-paid volunteers trying to support the public ORV riding areas in the National Forest to keep them open. Without a volunteer organization putting money and sweat equity into the ORV areas, they will not stay open.
atwowheelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Some people need a route sheet I guess.

hey you outlaws stay outlaws and do not pay attention to the positive influnces in riding just stay an outlaw!!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #11
parkerfe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
While I am a recent GARTR member, I am only an attendee and have nothing to do with the event. That being said, I think the cost is a bargain. You get to meet and enjoy the camaraderie with other off-roaders in such a great riding area. Plus, the proceeds go to maintain the trails for us all to enjoy. What more do you want?
Old 05-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,098
I'm in for both days.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #13
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,955
I hope to be in for both days... Flux I have a bike for you to ride.
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #14
Venturer
AKA klakeman

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Thanks man. I was mostly asking about 2 up for other people, still, if I can clear my schedule I might be up for riding the Tiger. I still haven't decided.

I thought somehow you were officially tied to this event, sorry for the mistake. You SHOULD be though, yer doing a good job selling it!
Flux - this will be familiar territory to you. 90% of it is ok for 2-up. They typically have an optional side-loop into Whissenhunt that the big bikes by-pass. I did this 2 up with my son a few yrs ago on the 950. We rode up to Nimblewill Gap from Tickanetley with only minor drama.

Kirk
'04 KTM 950; '11 KTM 350 XCF;
'08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '05 Montesa 250 4RT Trials
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,990
A couple pictures from last year:

http://gartra.com/gartra/index.php?o...ask=view&id=43

I wish I had a little more time to check calendars and stuff...

Anders