ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #16
parkerfe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer
Flux - this will be familiar territory to you. 90% of it is ok for 2-up. They typically have an optional side-loop into Whissenhunt that the big bikes by-pass. I did this 2 up with my son a few yrs ago on the 950. We rode up to Nimblewill Gap from Tickanetley with only minor drama.
That's a lot of asphalt riding from Skeenah Creek Campground to Whisenhunt...what route do you take?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #17
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwowheelguy
Sorry, that just doesn't add up.

Such a deal that would be! Two bagel and coffee breakfasts (maybe $3.00 cost), two lunches ($20 GARTRA's cost), t-shirt ($6 cost), dinner ($15 GARTRA's cost, not a penny of profit there) and camping ($50 for a tent site for two nights). $94 worth of out of pocket cost for an entry fee of $80 would be great. Only GARTRA would go broke fast, not to mention the insurance premium fee for this event they have to pay. Not a very good business plan, especially for a non-profit club of non-paid volunteers trying to support the public ORV riding areas in the National Forest to keep them open. Without a volunteer organization putting money and sweat equity into the ORV areas, they will not stay open.

While I am not knocking what GARTRA is doing, by all means if they can get people to pay them $80 for riding on public roads then more power to them. What I think the one guy questioning the pricing was trying to say is, how do they justify the $80 cover charge and all they are providing you with is $0.50 worth of breakfast (x2), and $8.00 worth of lunch (x2)? There is $60+dollars from each individual that signs up floating around out there somewhere. You don't have to justify it to me because I don't care, but there is profit in there for someone, I mean you're saying that GARTRA's cost for the Barbeque dinner is $15 per head. If that is in fact true, then someone isn't very good at pricing out different vendors.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #18
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
I try to pay attention to everything. I just choose to do somethings a little different, and if that makes me an outlaw then so be it. I thought you were giving the Yanster a little to much shit, so I took a stand for him. I have never met or riddden with him, but would like too before I make my mind up about his rides. That's all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates
hey you outlaws stay outlaws and do not pay attention to the positive influnces in riding just stay an outlaw!!
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #19
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Cost t o much????

Here is a novel idea.....if you dont like the price ...stay away.......if you dont like the breakfast....stay home, if you dont like to support and help GARTRA keep your trails open.....stay home, next time you want to go ride any where...STAY HOME.
You whinners are the first to complain about trail closures and the last to do anything but bitch.......
If I werent charting a ride in WNC for June I would be there .... So here is what you should do....STFU and stay home..........
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:23 AM   #20
RBrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
I've ridden this event 4 or 5 times, once two up w/ my grandson on a DRZ 400 S.
(By half way thru the second day , he was done!! )

But the event is always top notch. Folks are friendly , the riding is good. Especially for us out of staters that just want to show up and ride, but leave all the planning to someone else. I admit it's one of the easier to ride d/sport rides, but that's OK. They never claimed to be an enduro level ride.

We used to rent a cabin at the airstrip , but I understand the base camp has been moved now.

RB
RBrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:32 AM   #21
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth
there is profit in there for someone
Did you factor in:
-gas spent planning the routes
-worn tires used planning the routes
-travel to/from the route area
-printing of the roll charts
-hosting of the web site
-computers used create the documents
-software used to create the documents
-LABOR of web person
-LABOR of route layout persons
-LABOR of dinner organizer
-LABOR of breakfast organizer
-LABOR of t shirt designer
-LABOR of lodging coordinator

If you're a super hot chick, you can reasonably expect stuff like that for free. Otherwise...

Anders
Old 05-16-2009, 04:51 AM   #22
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwatcher
Here is a novel idea.....if you dont like the price ...stay away.......if you dont like the breakfast....stay home, if you dont like to support and help GARTRA keep your trails open.....stay home, next time you want to go ride any where...STAY HOME.
You whinners are the first to complain about trail closures and the last to do anything but bitch.......
If I werent charting a ride in WNC for June I would be there .... So here is what you should do....STFU and stay home..........
+1

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:44 AM   #23
parkerfe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green
Did you factor in:
-hosting of the web site
-LABOR of web person

If you're a super hot chick, you can reasonably expect stuff like that for free. Otherwise...

Anders
No mention of the labor of the people who have to stay behind and not ride to prepare the BBQ dinner either...which is an all day event and quality pork to BBQ is not cheap ...it usually cost more than beef steak.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:53 AM   #24
Dirtysouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green
Did you factor in:
-hosting of the web site
-LABOR of web person

Anders

It's an all volunteer force supposedly which means that they get no money, well atleast I have never accepted any money for when I have volunteered for something.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:55 AM   #25
Dirtysouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerfe
No mention of the labor of the people who have to stay behind and not ride to prepare the BBQ dinner either...which is an all day event and quality pork to BBQ is not cheap ...it usually cost more than beef steak.

Whatever you have to tell yourself. $15 for some pork, is about $7 more than you'll spend anywhere else.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:56 AM   #26
Dirtysouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwatcher
STFU and stay home..........

Wow, another keyboard Ninja. I may just come up and enjoy these public dirt roads on the same weekend that you guys are getting ass-raped.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #27
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,614
Wooooooo!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:11 AM   #28
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Wooooooo!
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #29
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth
It's an all volunteer force
Ok, no one's time has any value, I understand your position.

I'm interested in the next 6 rides YOU are organizing. Please post info and schedule. I will be paying nothing for your effort.

Anders
Old 05-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #30
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,628
In for Sunday ride, June 7th. I'll probably show up Saturday evening at the campground in Skeenah Creek. I'll be looking for a space to put up a tent ...

TomTom63 screwed with this post 05-16-2009 at 05:16 PM
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote