ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #31
atwowheelguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth
Whatever you have to tell yourself. $15 for some pork, is about $7 more than you'll spend anywhere else.
By the way, GARTRA's volunteers prepare the bagel and coffee breakfast, but lunches and dinner are catered, to the tune of over $3,600 last year. GARTRA's members are riders, not caterers.

Please bring your $8 dinner caterer to N34.77057 W84.17253 and convince the campground owner to let your caterer take away the campground owner's catering business on her own property.

Better yet, please come join GARTRA and volunteer to organize all the meals for the Hooch dual sport event. We would rather just ride.

Have you ever ridden the Hooch dual sport event? There are many folks who have ridden the event who say nice things about it. I'm just curious if all the criticism is coming from people who have never ridden it.

Some people like organized rides where they don't have to do all the planning and make all the arrangements for route planning, food and lodging. Poor old John M. has been scrambling to re-arrange the route or beg a gas station owner to open on Sunday so we can complete the route. Believe it or not, there are not caterers and restaurants and gas stations on every corner in that part of the country. Apparently from the responses here, there are some who don't like organized rides. Or maybe they are just better at organizing rides than the poor souls in the GARTRA club.

Apparently there are also some who don't understand the concept of a non-profit club. Volunteer members of GARTRA are not paid for their labor, ever. They are not even reimbursed for travel expenses or wear and tear on their vehicles to prepare for or produce the event.

The Hooch is our one annual attempt at fund raising. We bought some trail maintenance tools and some trailers to haul them to our work days at The National Forest ORV areas. We have some trail maintenance ATVs donated by Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda that we use to haul tools, but we have to pay for the maintenance on them. We have to pay $3,400 every year for an insurance policy just so we can go work for no pay in the National Forest. We mail a newsletter to our members.

Please don't begrudge us our one annual attempt at fund raising to keep our club going. This is supposed to be fun.
atwowheelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #32
parkerfe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Whatever you have to tell yourself. $15 for some pork, is about $7 more than you'll spend anywhere else.
$8 for BBQ dinner with drink, sides and fixings? I guess you've never eaten at Jim 'N' Nicks...

parkerfe screwed with this post 05-16-2009 at 05:44 PM
parkerfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #33
parkerfe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwowheelguy
By the way, GARTRA's volunteers prepare the bagel and coffee breakfast, but lunches and dinner are catered, to the tune of over $3,600 last year. GARTRA's members are riders, not caterers.

Please bring your $8 dinner caterer to N34.77057 W84.17253 and convince the campground owner to let your caterer take away the campground owner's catering business on her own property.

Better yet, please come join GARTRA and volunteer to organize all the meals for the Hooch dual sport event. We would rather just ride.

Have you ever ridden the Hooch dual sport event? There are many folks who have ridden the event who say nice things about it. I'm just curious if all the criticism is coming from people who have never ridden it.

Some people like organized rides where they don't have to do all the planning and make all the arrangements for route planning, food and lodging. Poor old John M. has been scrambling to re-arrange the route or beg a gas station owner to open on Sunday so we can complete the route. Believe it or not, there are not caterers and restaurants and gas stations on every corner in that part of the country. Apparently from the responses here, there are some who don't like organized rides. Or maybe they are just better at organizing rides than the poor souls in the GARTRA club.

Apparently there are also some who don't understand the concept of a non-profit club. Volunteer members of GARTRA are not paid for their labor, ever. They are not even reimbursed for travel expenses or wear and tear on their vehicles to prepare for or produce the event.

The Hooch is our one annual attempt at fund raising. We bought some trail maintenance tools and some trailers to haul them to our work days at The National Forest ORV areas. We have some trail maintenance ATVs donated by Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda that we use to haul tools, but we have to pay for the maintenance on them. We have to pay $3,400 every year for an insurance policy just so we can go work for no pay in the National Forest. We mail a newsletter to our members.

Please don't begrudge us our one annual attempt at fund raising to keep our club going. This is supposed to be fun.
GARTRA does a great job. I suspect the ones complaining are the ones who trash the trails with cigarette butts, plastic bottles, ect,,, when they ride anyway...
Old 05-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #34
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,986
Laugh

I called forwarded this to a buddy of mine, we made some calls, and we're in. :) I'll see you guys in three weeks. Vizla spoke with John on the phone and we'll get our entries and check in the mail pronto!

Sounds like fun!

Anders
Old 05-17-2009, 05:09 AM   #35
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,098
Cool.

See you at the Hooch Anders.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:26 AM   #36
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green
Ok, no one's time has any value, I understand your position.

I'm interested in the next 6 rides YOU are organizing. Please post info and schedule. I will be paying nothing for your effort.

Anders
Here's one you are more than welcome to attend.

For what it's worth. I attended the Hooch ride in 2004, even met Kirk and his son on that ride, but didn't didn't get to know him until later on. I've also met John Medicus, was on his e-mail list for a bit helping/volunteering/pre-rides.

I only did the Hooch ride that one year and I moved to Texas shortly after. Being new back on two wheels at the time and dual sporting, I couldn't help but notice what a great way to meet new friends in the sport.

As far as the money that is in question, what I saw was a group of guys earning rights to keep the trails open.

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #37
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,857
Quote:
Ok, no one's time has any value, I understand your position.

I'm interested in the next 6 rides YOU are organizing. Please post info and schedule. I will be paying nothing for your effort.

Anders

I'm not saying what anyone's time is worth, mine is worth $20 an hour M-F but if I volunteer then it's free, but then again I'm just a good old boy and was brought up like that. As far as the next 6 rides, they're by invitation only and you're not invited, sorry but we don't accept certain types into our secret club. I apologize for hurting anyone's feelings in this thread. I have no right judging any of you or "The Hooch". My opinion is only an opinion so with that, I am sorry for raining on your parade. I'm done dirtying up this thread, if any of you would like to discuss it further with me, please do it via pm.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #38
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
I'm not saying what anyone's time is worth, mine is worth $20 an hour M-F but if I volunteer then it's free, but then again I'm just a good old boy and was brought up like that. As far as the next 6 rides, they're by invitation only and you're not invited, sorry but we don't accept certain types into our secret club. I apologize for hurting anyone's feelings in this thread. I have no right judging any of you or "The Hooch".

Ah heck, Tommy. Don't go apologizing, you're killing some street cred I had for you.

Quote:
My opinion is only an opinion so with that, I am sorry for raining on your parade. I'm done dirtying up this thread, if any of you would like to discuss it further with me, please do it via pm.

In my opinion, you haven't dirtyed (is that even a word .... ) anything up. You had some good questions I tried to validate. That's all. No bashing from this end, I consider you a stand up guy.

If you ever happen to visit their website, you'll see things like a group of guy's rebuilding a bridge on a Saturday @ ORV property with some equipment in the pictures from the rent all joint. Guess where that money comes from to rent the equipment? Just a simple work day. No riding and no cost to get in on the work either.

I'm lucky to have the time to get out and ride....much less work on a place to ride.

I guess that's my .02 and I felt like everyone deserved hearing it openly.....that's coming from a guy who has his hand on Flux's breast though.

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #39
parkerfe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

info-photos-videos from Hooch 2008

http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/post?id=2762793
Old 05-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #40
Tellico Camper
Serving since lunch

Oddometer: 356
I really wanted to make the Hooch Rally this year, but life seems to get in the way. I also wanted to put my couple of cents in as well to the charges for the rally that some have a little issue with. I am the owner of probably one of the most famous campgrounds on the east coast that catored to one of the most famous OHV areas on the east coast. That is if you were into rock crawling the Tellico OHV area. I ride dual sport, ATV and occasionally 4wd, mostly on so called public lands. Folks, if you are not aware of the movement of public land closure to motorized vehicles you really need to open your eyes. The anti access group, Trout Unlimited caused the closure of Tellico OHV with basically the threat of legal action on the clean water act. There were two other OHV areas closed a few years back in Georgia and Beasly knob has been in the cross hairs for years. The illegal trails you enjoy that spider through the woods are getting cut off by land owners, utility companies and your State and Local governments. The attitude of I will just ride somewhere else is becoming endangered, because it is just a matter of time that you will not be able to ride in your own back yard without the EPA telling you are contributing silt run off. The money generated from an event that will provide you with a chance to keep your access open through trail development and maintenance is a great thing if you can't muster the steam to do it yourself. The nice thing about belonging to a collective is that the message is loud and clear and not muffled with hundred people talking at the same time. Our elected officals need to know we are serious about keeping our access to public lands and we need to stick together for the cause.
This Rally's proceeds are not going to the club members house payments and any event to keep our rights availible is a great thing. I am not hating on anyone for their opinions, sometimes we just need to stop for a second to look at the big picture.
I would like to meet some of you Ga folks and would like to invite you over to see my neighborhood. I have a 110 mile shop ride on planned on Sat May 30th if anyone is interested. The ride will consist of mostly FS roads, some single track and water crossings. We will eat lunch in Tellico Plains and refuel. There is no charge for the ride and it is open to all dual sport bikes as we will have bi passes set up for those less adventurous. This ride will last most of the day and if you are traveling from far away there are plenty of hotels in town or you are welcome to stay with us. Please call me if you are coming, because if we end up with more that 20 riders I will have to enlist some assistance from a couple of friends to help with the route.
Danny 828-837-9077
Old 05-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #41
svwayne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellico Camper
This Rally's proceeds are not going to the club members house payments ....
And that, as they say, "is the rest of the story". ALL profits made by the club from this event are poured right back into keeping what few ORV areas we have in Georgia open for future generations. The people that benefit from these "profits" are the people that ride or have ridden in any of the NFS ORV areas in Georgia.
svwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #42
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Old 05-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #43
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by svwayne
... ALL profits made by the club from this event are poured right back into keeping what few ORV areas we have in Georgia open for future generations.
But, ...you're not going to serve the cheap BBQ sauce, ...aren't ya ?

KIDDING, JUST KIDDING... Sorry, I couldn't resist. Looking forward to meeting everybody on the 7th

TomTom63 screwed with this post 05-30-2009 at 07:02 PM
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #44
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Question

The only directions I can find say that the campground is at the intersection of Route 60 and Skeenah Gap Road. http://www.skeenahcreekcampground.com/

It looks like this Google sat photo would be the spot, can someone confirm this?

See ya this weekend. :)

Anders
Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #45
svwayne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
Thumb

Quote:
The only directions I can find say that the campground is at the intersection of Route 60 and Skeenah Gap Road. http://www.skeenahcreekcampground.com/

It looks like this Google sat photo would be the spot, can someone confirm this?

See ya this weekend. :)

Anders
That's the spot!
svwayne is offline   Reply With Quote