User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #16
drshakeg0nzo
n00b

Oddometer: 6
In Philly Area Also

I just posted my trip plans in CA desert regional forums. I'm a total noob but I can't wait to hit the road. I'll be leaving Philly as well. I'm originally from MI and use to live in Detroit also. I'm heading up north next month to gaylord , MI. An uncles getting married. I won't be on the bike though. Too damn cold up there. Ur nuts going to anchorage. But good luck ride safe. Good luck w/ that tent budd! yuk yuk !
Old 05-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #17
Shewbert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
As you get to southern Alberta head west on #3 from Lethbridge to just west of Pincher Creek. Watch for Highway #22 going to your right. Go up #22 (The Cowboy Trail) to Highway #1,awesome scenery and some of the few twisties in Alberta. Then west on #1 to Banff. Then Banff to Jasper via #1 and the Icefields Parkway. At Jasper turn east to Hinton and pick up Highway #40 to Grand Cache and on to Grande Prairie. From Grande Prairie it's just a hop, skip & a jump to Dawson Creek and Mile "0". And you'll have ridden some of the best highways in Alberta IMHO.

To go up the middle and hit Calgary & Emonton is typical prairie, flat & boring.

Save Prince George for your return after you come down the Cassiar when you'll have to go through it anyways (and there is nothing there! Except for a few Advriders!!!!)

Ride safe and watch for wildlife.

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff!
Shewbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #18
unlokr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Are you planning on going to the D2D?

You may still be in the area...
05 Yamaha TTR-125L (Daughter's Ride)
05 Yamaha TTR-90 (Son's Ride)
unlokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #19
Brimfire
Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 90
Good luck with the trip my man! Me and my '05 GS are envious. I'll be waving to you from 29-N, from the Great Valley Corporate Center. ;)
Brimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:29 AM   #20
bluecone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Best wishes and be careful of that angry, overly rambunctious tent you have!

I'll be looking forward to hearing how your f650 holds up on such a journey, as I just purchased one myself and am curious about long excursions on it as well.

Chris
bluecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #21
JackB1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Day 0 - New Jersey Shore & back!

Day 0 - Wednesday May 20
Start: Ocean City, NJ
End: Malvern, PA
Trip Miles Today: 93
Total Trip Miles: 93

Well, did it! We have begun! As advertised I shot down to the New Jersey shore this AM to establish a trip start point at the Atlantic coast. That done, fired straight back to Philadelphia to RevZilla Motorsports and a little kickoff gathering. RevZilla was generous enough to make a donation to The Austin Hatcher Foundation, a videographer from the CBS TV outlet in Philadelphia showed up to catch the proceedings (a short segment on the ride was shown on the 6PM news tonight!), and then I made the gruling ride back to my home some 20 miles away. The real miles start tomorrow - off for Detroit (600 miles all highway) at 6:00 AM. Gotta get through the boring parts to get to the interesting stuff. Hope that weather you see in the picture holds for another 16 days or so!
Bonneville 200mph Club, IBA #18825, previously diagnosed with Multiple Bike Disorder, yadda,yadda, yadda..
\www.2wheels4kids.com
JackB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #22
JackB1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewbert
As you get to southern Alberta head west on #3 from Lethbridge to just west of Pincher Creek. Watch for Highway #22 going to your right. Go up #22 (The Cowboy Trail) to Highway #1,awesome scenery and some of the few twisties in Alberta. Then west on #1 to Banff. Then Banff to Jasper via #1 and the Icefields Parkway. At Jasper turn east to Hinton and pick up Highway #40 to Grand Cache and on to Grande Prairie. From Grande Prairie it's just a hop, skip & a jump to Dawson Creek and Mile "0". And you'll have ridden some of the best highways in Alberta IMHO.

To go up the middle and hit Calgary & Emonton is typical prairie, flat & boring.

Save Prince George for your return after you come down the Cassiar when you'll have to go through it anyways (and there is nothing there! Except for a few Advriders!!!!)

Ride safe and watch for wildlife.

I love this! Were you reading my mind - you have my current thoughts about routing, both up and back, positively nailed!!!!! Thanx for the reinforcement. Jack
Bonneville 200mph Club, IBA #18825, previously diagnosed with Multiple Bike Disorder, yadda,yadda, yadda..
\www.2wheels4kids.com
Old 05-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #23
BoochZilla
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Oddometer: 761
Local News Coverage

Good luck on your first full day Jack!

Here is a link to CBS3 in Philly's coverage of your departure and interview.

http://cbs3.com/video/?id=80576@kyw.dayport.com/

Two Wheels Down Baby!

Anthony

'10 Multistrada 1200
'07 R1200GS
'05 Monster S2R
BoochZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #24
heynowref

Oddometer: 1,210
Damn, forgot is was this morning.
I had envisioned chasing you down 202 giving you the salute.

Anyway - safe travels.

""Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity." - stolen from someone
heynowref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #25
BoochZilla
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Oddometer: 761
Pictures of the Departure

Here is the best we got from your official departure from RevZilla HQ

See the Gallery on Flickr.com

Anthony

'10 Multistrada 1200
'07 R1200GS
'05 Monster S2R
BoochZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #26
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
If you want to add a hour or 2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1
Did I mention that I'll be doing some camping along the way?

Any good places on Rte 2 across Minnesota and North Dakota?
I have a place halfway between Danbury Wi, and Hinckley Mn. It's very private and has a hunting cabin with everything you would need. If interested, PM me. Enjoy the road
Old 05-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #27
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 279
Ride safe and enjoy the trip ! Riding to Alaska and raising money, YOU ROCK !

In March 1979 I took the ferry from Seattle to Haines , AK then drove the rest of the way to Fairbanks and Anchorage in my old SAAB 96. I spent 2 years at Elmendorf AFB and almost stayed when I got out. Two of the best years of my life !

Enjoy the ride and enjoy Alaska !
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:35 AM   #28
JackB1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSdiablo
I have a place halfway between Danbury Wi, and Hinckley Mn. It's very private and has a hunting cabin with everything you would need. If interested, PM me. Enjoy the road
I'll look at a tonight or tomorrow, may be interested. Will PM probably tomorrow. Thanks for the offer, Jack!
\www.2wheels4kids.com
Old 05-22-2009, 03:37 AM   #29
JackB1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynowref
Damn, forgot is was this morning.
I had envisioned chasing you down 202 giving you the salute.

Anyway - safe travels.
Hey, I thought someone was following me. Were you in a White Ford with blue and red flashing lights on the roof? No matter, I dusted him off!!!
\www.2wheels4kids.com
Old 05-22-2009, 04:22 AM   #30
JackB1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 1 - Malvern PA to Novi, Mich

Day 1 – Thursday May 21, 2009
Start: Malvern, PA
End: Novi, MI
Trip Miles Today: 555
Total Trip Miles: 648.5

It's pretty hard to make an adventure story out of a 10 hour ride on toll roads! Suffice to say, Thursday was a day of 500+ miles supported by flawless weather and flawless performance by the bike and my gear. I'm sure the "dramas " will come later (but soon enough.)

The highlight of the trip was something that I knew would happen sooner or later. I never imagined it would happen so soon, however. While making a gas stop on the PA turnpike near Harrisburg, PA a guy just kinda wandered up to the bike and was examining it carefully. In my casual way I asked him "Do you ride?" His answer was, "oh yeah!" He proceeded to tell me that he rides a BMW G650X Challenge back at his home near Mays Landing, NJ. He asked if I knew the website ADVRider and I showed him the ADV sticker on the back! He told me his nic but I promptly lost it. In any case I knew I'd cross paths with other folks from this site. I just never imagined it would happen in the first hour and less than 100 miles from home!!!!

I'm standing down in Michigan today (Friday) to visit with friends but will be back on the road Saturday bound for Wisconsin!

Ride safe! Jack

\www.2wheels4kids.com