Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #916
ststrider
some guy on a bike

Oddometer: 376
Hey tom I have been running metzler karoo2 knobbies from dualsport plus and get 6000km from a set.good feel off-road not two noisy,this is. on a klr 650.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #917
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I run the 761's also, love them on road and tame gravel, but for anything too aggressive they do slip and slide. I usually air them down to 18 when doing any trail riding but leave them up hard at 34/32 which is useless for gravel. I now have a KLR650 trail machine and am thinking along the same lines as you....I'm all ears for a cheaper tire to run that will work well in the slippery locations.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #918
chilibizkit
Wanderer

Oddometer: 138
So after lots of web surfing I ended up purchasing a pair of Dunlop 606's for my DR650.

Hope to have them up and running for the weekend. They call them a 50/50 tire, probably going to be noisy on the road but my intention is just to be on the pavement long enough to get off it.

I'll let ya know.
chilibizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #919
ScramblerTom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
both the karoos and the dunlop 606s look nice and nobbly. (I got the 761 not the 671 as i said) I guess i veered away from something like that as I figured I would be doing more street with the XT - but now that I got the XT plated when it comes to commuting the 120kms to work i just end up wheeling out the Piaggio scooter as it is such a smooth quiet ride. The XT is fun, but at 7 in the morning I want as close to peace and quiet as you can get on a bike on the 401.

So I think I will look into the nobbier tires that you guys mentioned as I think I will be doing more of the skidoo trails up around Calabogie - my buddies all have 4 wheelers and so don't think anything of longer stretches of road - something I can't when with them on the KTM. Funds are always an issue for me (owning three bikes means it gets spread pretty thin sometimes) so I might consider the kenda 270s - anyone tried these?? I know a lot of KLRs seem to have this tire.
-> SOLD then bought a 2009 DRZ 400 - on the weight loss plan
2006 Piaggio BV 250
1986 XT 600
traded for a Jet Ski!! taking up wakeboarding... was not riding it anyway
ScramblerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:09 AM   #920
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
I've gone thru a few sets of 606's on my X-C and love them. They grip well on the pavement and they're incredible on the 'ski-doo' trails. If you plan on riding up near Calaboogie the 606's will do you well. They might be a bit pricey but when you break it down it's really not that much different. And spending a few extra bucks on tires, I figure, is money well spent.
Plus they just look good.....and it's always important to look good at the timmies parking lot
Old 10-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #921
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsstampeder View Post
Plus they just look good.....and it's always important to look good at the timmies parking lot
So,

When are you gonna start?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #922
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

I'd sooner ride and I'm only in second gear when I pass tims.

And speaking of riding.....? Anyone know what the hydro line trail is like off of Norway Lk road. I'm thinking I'd like to try it if it's doable, anyone else?? Then again, with all this rain getting into it on Norway Lk road might not be doable???

What say ye wise ones?
Old 10-21-2011, 04:26 AM   #923
ststrider
some guy on a bike

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsstampeder View Post
I'd sooner ride and I'm only in second gear when I pass tims.

And speaking of riding.....? Anyone know what the hydro line trail is like off of Norway Lk road. I'm thinking I'd like to try it if it's doable, anyone else?? Then again, with all this rain getting into it on Norway Lk road might not be doable???

What say ye wise ones?
not sure about the hydro line but about a quarter way down norway lk rd from the old farm house there is a trail on your right goes in to cranberry lk and if you can make it up the hill takes you back to mountain rd.there are a lot of trails in that area that head off to the east but ever since it was turned into a provincial park it is a no ride zone which sucks big time.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:45 AM   #924
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

thanks mike. i might give it a go on Sunday.

except I wouldn't mind doing hayes rd again and up to skootamata. with the wet weather it should be in great shape.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #925
adamm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
GPS for road allowances

I was just out on a quick tour around Highway 15 in Leeds and Frontenac. I found a couple of dead end roads that looked like they had road allowances that continued on like some of the trails that we ran on Thanksgiving Monday. I headed down a ways, but there was some signage that made it look like I might have left the road allowance and was off on to private property. One road was Taylor Road E, and the other was Berry Road, both just of Leeds Country Road 32. What GPS maps are you guys using to know you are on road allowances instead of private trails? I found that Frontenac county has all their road allowance info on-line at http://www.frontenacmaps.ca/ but I can't find similar info for the surrounding counties.

Thanks,

Adam
adamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #926
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Well.. I don't use a gps to follow road allowances. I just keep going till I see signs of habitation. lol
I have never yet had anyone complain that I was on private property even though I am sure I have been. If I see someone (rarely) I stop and say hi and I have never been asked to leave or bitched at for being somewhere I should not have been.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #927
wrightm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Love the local knowledge. When I saw Forseti's comment on Canadian prices and our local Suzuki dealer it got me to thinkin' . Any recommendations for winter storage that does seasonal maintenance for a DRZ in and around Kingston I like to ride / commute as long as possible. Usually hang in till the 1st week of December until ice on the roads , in the AM especially, becomes an issue and the I head for storage. I don't have a garage myself.
wrightm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #928
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Any of the local dealers offer storage for a fee. I don't know if one is better than another as far a that goes since I store all mine in the barn.
What are you thinking for "seasonal maintenance" on a DRZ?
I could store it here (for a fee ).... but it would end up getting ridden sooooo... lol

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #929
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
Any of the local dealers offer storage for a fee. I don't know if one is better than another as far a that goes since I store all mine in the barn.
What are you thinking for "seasonal maintenance" on a DRZ?
I could store it here (for a fee ).... but it would end up getting ridden sooooo... lol
Ross at K-Tec has the best rep. Does the storage/maintenance thing.

Or, you could service it here, then park it in Forseti's barn, which is ten minutes from me.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #930
chilibizkit
Wanderer

Oddometer: 138
When the wife's not home put it in the basement, be nice to her all winter when you are working on your bike cuz you may need her help getting it back up the stairs.

A few years back i was in a bind and went to Motosport Plus, they parked my bike and that was it despite buying a package. When I went to pick it up they also tried to charge me for an oil/filter change. Haven't been back since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightm View Post
Love the local knowledge. When I saw Forseti's comment on Canadian prices and our local Suzuki dealer it got me to thinkin' . Any recommendations for winter storage that does seasonal maintenance for a DRZ in and around Kingston I like to ride / commute as long as possible. Usually hang in till the 1st week of December until ice on the roads , in the AM especially, becomes an issue and the I head for storage. I don't have a garage myself.
chilibizkit is offline   Reply With Quote