ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #76
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by camgregus View Post
Let us revive this from the dead. I did a large part of the LA portion of this recently, but didn't save tracks.... I want to do the rest in the near future. It is great riding, maybe you could join me for some of it Jamie.
Dead? This thread is far from dead. The project isn't yet complete.

Greg, that'd be a great ride. I've also done most or all of the Louisiana portion, though like you I didn't save my tracks. I do have a few waypoints but I ran into some discrepancies between the signs on the roads and the MRT maps available at that time.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #77
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,751
Kentucky and Missouri

I didn't know for sure if this area is covered---but you guys can use this info if you need it.

The ride report is here:

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/1RiverRide.htm

And I've included the gps file----the closed bridge waypoints should be ignored after the bridge gets fixed.

Following this tracklog----will get you as close to the river as possible on both the Kentucky and Missouri side.
They are doing some repairs to the levee down there---so it's possible riding thru on the levee could change.

BigDog

Attached Files
File Type: gpx BigDogsLeveeRide.gpx (31.8 KB, 89 views)
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 04:28 AM
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #78
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,998
Good, I didn't think it was dead, but it hadn't been updated lately.

We can talk soon.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #79
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by camgregus View Post
Good, I didn't think it was dead, but it hadn't been updated lately.

We can talk soon.
As you may know, weekdays are easiest for me. Perhaps a Sunday/Monday/Tuesday or even midweek, then I wouldn't have to ask off from work at all.

Jamie

Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #80
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 556
I checked with my Grandpa who works for Plaquemines Parish which is just south of New Orleans and goes until the road ends, riding on the levee system there in any sort of vehicle is illegal.

Some of the locals do it on small sections which is also illegal, but if the cops see you going all the way down on the levee, you will get in trouble. Looks like Highway 23 to Venice is your safest bet on the west bank.
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #81
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
I didn't know for sure if this area is covered---but you guys can use this info if you need it.

Following this tracklog----will get you as close to the river as possible on both the Kentucky and Missouri side.
They are doing some repairs to the levee down there---so it's possible riding thru on the levee could change.
The goal of the Mississippi River Trail Project is to follow as closely as possible the MRT, not necessarily follow as closely as possible to the river. The MRT does indeed follow some portions of the levee through Illinois, but most of those portions are bicycle-only, so an alternate route on nearby roads was made for this route.

But I did look at your report. Pretty cool! Next time I'm up that way (and it's not all that far for me) I'll have to check out some of those places, though I swear I've seen a few things like the clock and the jail in my previous rides to the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReactorTrip View Post
I checked with my Grandpa who works for Plaquemines Parish which is just south of New Orleans and goes until the road ends, riding on the levee system there in any sort of vehicle is illegal.

Some of the locals do it on small sections which is also illegal, but if the cops see you going all the way down on the levee, you will get in trouble. Looks like Highway 23 to Venice is your safest bet on the west bank.
As above, the goal of this project is to follow the MRT bicycle trail. If it's not paved (and legal to be) on the levee, then the MRT wouldn't be routed there. We follow the MRT where possible, and reroute to nearby roads when necessary.

I do believe part of the Louisiana MRT through New Orleans follows the levee and we made need to find an alternate route, but the MRT to Venice follows the highway as far as I know. I've been down that way numerous times, though not to collect data for the Project.

Hopefully Gregg and I will finish the Louisiana section this spring.

Jamie

Jamie Z screwed with this post 02-09-2012 at 04:27 PM
Old 02-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #82
camgregus
riding gently now

The MRT mostly down to New Roads follows the levee. South of there, I think it diverges.

Jamie, looks like I'm going to have some weekdays off coming up, we should keep a weather watch going and see if there is an opportunity.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #83
Cultrocker
Rock. Roll. Repeat.

Oddometer: 4
MRT On openstreetmap.org

How does your map compare to the route provided by openstreetmap.org or opencyclemap.org? They both use the same data just different tile renders with features important to cyclist like terrain , speed limits, shoulder width and amenities. I know that in my area (Lincoln Co, MO) that the trail follows Hwy79. Here the map is accurate because it follow the highway through the county. MRT signs are in place from the southern border north into Pike Co up to Louisiana, MO.

Shoulders are a little narrow or non-existent in places so cyclist are taking a big risk to ride some sections.

Openstreemap is a great tool as the maps can be freely edited to correct errors or add features that are important to a map user. In the US they are incomplete and out of date but if you look at central London or Berlin you can get an idea of the power that publicly edited maps can hold.

I am only a beginner at editing openstreetmap but my changes are already showing up on Mapquest, Google Maps and smartphones as bigger map providers scrape openstreetmap for changes.

Cultrocker screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 08:06 AM
Cultrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #84
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultrocker View Post
How does your map compare to the route provided by openstreetmap.org or opencyclemap.org?
It's hard to say. I've scanned a few pages on each site, and generally the data looks solid, but if it's the same as the Vertices data, then there will be some problems for a motorcyclist in some places where the bike route follows bike lanes or bike paths. In addition, I've found quite a few places where the online map data on Vertices is not the same as the signage in the field.

I prefer to use actual street data and optimize it for use by motorcyclists. Thanks for the links. I hadn't seen those maps before, but they might come in handy to double check the route.

Jamie

Old 04-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #85
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's taken me quite a while, but with the help of Ragbrian, I've compiled all the Missouri data that I have into a single route. Brian helped route through St. Louis and came up with a fantastic motorcycle alternative to some bike paths.

I've updated the OP, but you can also go to the post here to download the route: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=31

Gregg, you still up for Louisiana?

Jamie

Old 04-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #86
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
If anyone's up for a day trip on the MRT this weekend or in the near future I'm back in the saddle.

I picked up a new steed that's a little better suited for roads than single track and would like to put some miles on her soon since I only have 2 on it now.
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #87
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

After much gnashing of teeth, I think I've fixed up the Tennessee data and infrastructure. Turns out one sign was posted backwards so I went up there with some tools and straightened it out. In another case, the Vertices maps were incorrect, and the signage on the route was inconsistent, so it took riding multiple roads to figure out where it was intended to go. I'm almost positive I've got it all worked out. I've uploaded it to the Tennessee Page as Version 2.

Jamie

Old 04-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #88
camgregus
riding gently now

Just looked back in and saw this. PM me and tell me when you want to ride.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #89
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'll be riding the northern MN section today and tomorrow. Planning to arrive at Itasca at about 3pm. Start the MRT maybe around 4pm and get as far as I can. Continue tomorrow. Go as far as the Twin Cities.

If you're in the area and want to join me, call or text, 901-237-1007.

Jamie

Old 07-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #90
charliesdaemon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
I'll be riding the northern MN section today and tomorrow. Planning to arrive at Itasca at about 3pm. Start the MRT maybe around 4pm and get as far as I can. Continue tomorrow. Go as far as the Twin Cities.

If you're in the area and want to join me, call or text, 901-237-1007.

Jamie
How did the ride go? I was supposed to ride the MN side from Iowa to the TC this weekend but got hung up.

Are you collecting all of this data in one place to share? I was thinking of taking all the data posted here so far and creating a public google map with all segments documented, but I don't want to replicate someone elses work.

Thanks!
charliesdaemon is offline   Reply With Quote