User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Backmarker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Ktm 690r vs. te-610 compare thoughts.

Seems like the 690r and te-610 make great dualsports. Would like to discuss the good and bad of both for those people interested in buying either. So if you own one of these bikes share your thoughts with us good and bad. If you dont own one yet share what you have found in your reviews. I think the two bikes are in the same market and should be compared. Seems like the 690 is the better dualsport if money is not a problem. Both have a limited fuel range but both have a wr 6 speed which works for hiway use. Weight about the same. Power, Ktm has more. Te-610 seems to be proven,the Ktm not out long enough yet to say? Looks, does anyone really like orange? Offroad I think the te has a slight edge. Your thoughts??

Backmarker screwed with this post 05-18-2009 at 09:05 AM
Backmarker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
WISH I had experience with both bikes. Both bikes are pretty well unheard of here in Maine. I just picked up a 2006 TE610 in RI yesterday and it has a decidedly dirtbikish feel on the road (a bit more dirtbikish than even my lightened LC4E). Suspension feels pretty stiff. I like both those features - I'm not putting it down. Mine's the carbureted model, so apples to oranges with the FI KTM. Seat and headlight are a joke and will need replacing or significant mods. Other than that - I really like it. On paper at least - the TE seems to win offroad. Sometimes the paper lies though. Ride them both if you can.
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,411
I compared the two, and others, before settling on the TE.

Price was a factor, I won't lie. $1500 off list for the '08 TE brought it to under $6K. That was the kicker.

I have replaced the seat and headlight, as those were quite lacking.

I'm sure the KTM has better power but I cannot imagine needing more than the TE already has; I spin the rear on any loose surface if I twist more than a bit of the throttle.

Either is a winning machine for dual sport use. I say go with the one that trips your trigger.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
I've owned both and favor the KTM. They're both pretty well matched off-road...the Husky has much more torque, but the KTM has a lot more acceleration and top end. The bits & pieces are much better quality on the KTM. The Husky has junk for fenders/radiator shrouds, etc. Battery tray is gauranteed to crack...suspension is about equal, but the newer Huskies may or may not have full adjustments...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,945
You realize that any minute now someone is going to post about a Japanese DP bike that is favorable or more favorable right???

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
knobie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I own an EXC 525 not a 690 but I ride my brother's 2008 TE610 occasionally and here's what I think about the Husky:
Good:
Pretty nimble for a dual sport
Decent suspension, haven't been able to bottom out on small jumps
Useable power and can be improved easily
Easy to ride
Bad:
Exhaust heat is terible and I don't see how it can be avoided easily
Foot pegs are too narrow
Seat is hard and narrow for longer rides but not exactly narrow by off road standards
Hope this helps
knobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobie
I own an EXC 525 not a 690 but I ride my brother's 2008 TE610 occasionally and here's what I think about the Husky:
Good:
Pretty nimble for a dual sport
Decent suspension, haven't been able to bottom out on small jumps
Useable power and can be improved easily
Easy to ride
Bad:
Exhaust heat is terible and I don't see how it can be avoided easily
Foot pegs are too narrow
Seat is hard and narrow for longer rides but not exactly narrow by off road standards
Hope this helps
Everything you posted after the "pretty nimble for a dual sport" is similar to the 690. The TE probably has a tighter turning radius than the 690 and will probably be a little better in real tight stuff. That being said the 690 does very well. Neither bike is intended to be a tight woods single track racing machine but both will work.

I think in general the 690 is a better bike for stretching its legs and going fast...great for desert, fire roads, more open trails, big jumps, etc. I get the feeling that the Husky is a bit better in the more technical woods applications.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
hahmule
Balding Gloriously

Oddometer: 591
Both nice bikes

I own the 06 610 and have ridden, albeit very briefly, the 690. What a great orange bike! More power up top where the 610 runs out of breath or at least hits the rev limiter, and the suspension seems a little plusher. That said, would I spend nearly twice as much for the 690? With the 690 price in Cali pushing 12K, the short answer is no. I'm simply not a good enough dirt rider to fully benefit from the performance difference to justify the extra price.

However, if price were no object, heck yeah, I'd buy the 690.

PS I beat the snot out my 610, sure, it's needed a few repairs, but I can't complain about durability.

Better to be a fast mule than a slow race horse.
hahmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backmarker
both have a wr 6 speed which works for hiway use.
Not really. The Husqvarna TE610 still has the only wide ratio six speed among the 600 class dual sports. The transmission on the 690 was designed for supermoto racing and its ratios are more closely spaced than the 450/530 EXC KTMs.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
Backmarker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
Not really. The Husqvarna TE610 still has the only wide ratio six speed among the 600 class dual sports. The transmission on the 690 was designed for supermoto racing and its ratios are more closely spaced than the 450/530 EXC KTMs.
If this is correct that pretty much seals the deal on the ktm for me ! Te-610 here I come...
Old 05-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
Everything you posted after the "pretty nimble for a dual sport" is similar to the 690. The TE probably has a tighter turning radius than the 690 and will probably be a little better in real tight stuff. That being said the 690 does very well. Neither bike is intended to be a tight woods single track racing machine but both will work.

I think in general the 690 is a better bike for stretching its legs and going fast...great for desert, fire roads, more open trails, big jumps, etc. I get the feeling that the Husky is a bit better in the more technical woods applications.

The Husky won't turn any tighter than the KTM and because it has a little more relaxed front end geometry, it is slower handling in the tight stuff. They both have horrible turning radius. The rear gas tank on the KTM makes it a lot more flickable due to lower CG....
Old 05-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #12
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr

If the KTM had the Husky tranny ratios, it would be near perfect. It will cruise at high speed easier than the Husky due to more HP. My 610 would barely pull 6th gear ...mostly because the IMS 5 gal. tank was like a parachute.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Husky has little or no dealer's in soca I hope bmw fix's that. that's
why I went with the 690 plus more power. If the husky was a 650cc
the power would be better but it's not... it's a only 570cc
the ktm is the lite bike of 650 group.. mines only 350lb ready to ride
with all the tools and crap that I need. I'm running a 16/45 gear set
most of the time and it will run 70mph all day
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #14
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

Oddometer: 60
If the turning radius on the husky is as wide as the 690. Then my only beef with my 690 is how close ratio 4,5, and 6 gears are. I have to gear down for woods riding, then gear up for road. I understand the Husky has a real nice set of gear ratios for "do it all"!!!!
I was talking with gear machinists about custom 5&6 gears cogs for the 690. But unless hundreds of sets could be sold, it was going to be too costly.
I wanna ride a 610 to compare. Even though I'm a KTM guy (690 my 4th).
I'm a Husky fan too(had 2, 30+yrs ago).
Dewtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #15
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,488
Husky has no decent range big tank therefore not even a subject for my consideration no matter how good it is.

As far as the WR box goes, on the 690 I sit at above legal speeds all day, no vibration, <5000rpm and if I wish to overtake, I just wind it on with a grin on my face. While we are generally talking 110-120kph here, I just don't even register this as an issue.

i don't know how bad the Husky seat is but the 690 is an absolute shocker.

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote