ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #16
pburke
Talks more than he rides
 
pburke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidestand
and I thought I was finally done spending big ticket item money on my 950.... I assume we're talking over $2k here (including hubs so i can swap wheels)? May take me a bit to save up for those but -
pburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #17
sidestand
bristol, uk.
 
sidestand's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 273
still spending, neds tank, cj footpegs.
sidestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #18
twodollardoug
the calimesa kid
 
twodollardoug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: southern california (IE)
Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer
Anyone care to share what a setup like this costs? Stock hubs reused or new RAD ones. I might be looking for a 19/17 setup in the future.

cj
what happened to your super duke wheels set up cj? didnt you like it?
__________________
"I don't give it a name, but I always speak with it. I don't know if other riders do the same. This is not only a piece of metal - there is a soul" -Valentino Rossi
twodollardoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #19
cjracer
AWD please!!
 
cjracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 3,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubblehead
what happened to your super duke wheels set up cj? didnt you like it?
This post was before I started on that setup.

I love my new 17" setup. Handles great and looks sharp IMO. 100% tubeless.

All said and done 3 new rotors and sprocket, minus tires it's about $2300. Tires were $170 shipped.

I now have a complete set, fully swapped in 35 min. and I have an entirely new bike.
__________________
My 2006 950S thread. 2006 950s update
New product updates here! Wordpress BLOG
click www.cjdesignsllc.com for the full line of products. FREE STUFF!!
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #20
roundtripping
Adventourist
 
roundtripping's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer
This post was before I started on that setup.

I love my new 17" setup. Handles great and looks sharp IMO. 100% tubeless.

All said and done 3 new rotors and sprocket, minus tires it's about $2300. Tires were $170 shipped.

I now have a complete set, fully swapped in 35 min. and I have an entirely new bike.
I thought I saw some pics of that somewhere but I could be wrong? Did you post 'em in another thread? If not, how about it?
__________________
12 F658GS
13 Honda CRF250L


My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #21
cjracer
AWD please!!
 
cjracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 3,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by jryden
I thought I saw some pics of that somewhere but I could be wrong? Did you post 'em in another thread? If not, how about it?
Not wanting to side track from the thread, let's just do this.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=118

Come take it for a test ride when you pass through next month.
__________________
My 2006 950S thread. 2006 950s update
New product updates here! Wordpress BLOG
click www.cjdesignsllc.com for the full line of products. FREE STUFF!!

cjracer screwed with this post 07-30-2009 at 07:12 PM
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #22
Dogtown
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dogtown's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Marin County
Oddometer: 406
Tubeless

As far as Tubeless


If you get a puncture in the middle of BFE that wont plug, You can still throw a tube in, right? And how much harder is the bead to break trailside??
__________________
OH 7 990

Marin County To Cabo!
Dogtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #23
cjracer
AWD please!!
 
cjracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 3,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogtown
As far as Tubeless


If you get a puncture in the middle of BFE that wont plug, You can still throw a tube in, right? And how much harder is the bead to break trailside??
Never had a hole in a tire that 1-2 or even 5 sticky tire plug strips hasn't worked on to get me back to a shop. These 17"s have a bolt in air stem, so installing a tube should work if you really needed to. I've not had to break the bead on these yet. My last set of 17" could almost be done by hand, or heel of foot. There is no large step in the rim like the stock 18".
__________________
My 2006 950S thread. 2006 950s update
New product updates here! Wordpress BLOG
click www.cjdesignsllc.com for the full line of products. FREE STUFF!!
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:07 AM   #24
karabasan
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2006
Oddometer: 29
Spoke size

Does anyone know the spoke size to be used with OEM Hubs and Caponord Rims ???
karabasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #25
HWSNBN
Banned
 
HWSNBN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Playing a d00d, disguised as another d00d
Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by karabasan
Does anyone know the spoke size to be used with OEM Hubs and Caponord Rims ???

Man, I came close to pulling mine and measuring them just in case I wanted to put another set together someday. I sold'em off instead, didn't like them at all and said to myself this is one of those lessons that look good on paper but don't do it in the real world. Tubes and Excels for me if I were to do it again. Not likely though, 21/18 is the way to go IMHO for this bike. If I wanted a BMW I'd buy one... and the bright yellow landfill vest to go with it!:

That said, Buchanan's makes the spokes. They'll likely know the specs. They're swagged and 7 gauge I think. Doing it again, It'd be best to build them using the Aprilia nipples rather than standard so I'd maybe drop them to fit the smaller gauge threads. These X rims need that locking grub screw badly to stay in true. Otherwise they tend to be only exceptionally heavy bling-bling road wheels that'll pretzel in the dirt.
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #26
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...
 
Nowwhat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: On the Ground Laughing
Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWSNBN
Man, I came close to pulling mine and measuring them just in case I wanted to put another set together someday. I sold'em off instead, didn't like them at all and said to myself this is one of those lessons that look good on paper but don't do it in the real world. Tubes and Excels for me if I were to do it again. Not likely though, 21/18 is the way to go IMHO for this bike. If I wanted a BMW I'd buy one... and the bright yellow landfill vest to go with it!:

That said, Buchanan's makes the spokes. They'll likely know the specs. They're swagged and 7 gauge I think. Doing it again, It'd be best to build them using the Aprilia nipples rather than standard so I'd maybe drop them to fit the smaller gauge threads. These X rims need that locking grub screw badly to stay in true. Otherwise they tend to be only exceptionally heavy bling-bling road wheels that'll pretzel in the dirt.
Damn...I knew I offered too much for your wheels.... ....

The 19/17s have their place...and that place is next to a set of 21/18s as well...

I put the caponards on for 100% street use to haul the wife around...would never dream of taking them off road....on the street they are extremely confidence inspiring....It was only a few minutes of riding before my boots were scraping the ground in the turns.... ...

When the bike goes for an ADV ride...the big hoops will be on in less than 15 minutes....
__________________
'14 1190R...Adventure Beast
'13 690 Quest...Rally Beast
950SE......Desert Beast
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #27
johnyred
Johnyred
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Greece
Oddometer: 16
Alpina tubeless

Has anyone tried Alpina from Italy TST conversion?
They offer a kit for KTM 9xx where you keep the original centers and put new rims and spokes. Take a look here
http://www.alpinaraggi.it/pdf/sts.pdf
When I asked in Greece they wanted 800 euro for the whole conversion.
johnyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:52 AM   #28
Yzlvr
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyred
Has anyone tried Alpina from Italy TST conversion?
They offer a kit for KTM 9xx where you keep the original centers and put new rims and spokes. Take a look here
http://www.alpinaraggi.it/pdf/sts.pdf
When I asked in Greece they wanted 800 euro for the whole conversion.
That looks interesting. Anyone have more info on this?
Yzlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #29
danceswithdeer
Space Wrangler
 
danceswithdeer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Wyoming
Oddometer: 176
I'd definitely like some info as well; very interesting option.
__________________
'08 990 Adventure

"No regrets. That's my motto...well that and everybody Wang Chung tonight."
danceswithdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #30
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 5,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidestand
caponord rims on my 990S


I never paid much attention to the blue Adventures but that bike is absolutely gorgeous! Wow!

What's the deal with your headlight mask, do you have any shots from the front?
__________________
Proud member of the HUSABERG ADVENTURE TEAM!
12 690 Enduro-R, 12 Husaberg FE570, 09 KTM XC-F/ 450 RFS hybrid, 07 KTM 450 SMR, 09 BMW F650GS twin/F800GS hybrid, 03+05 YZF-R6
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014