Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2004, 10:47 AM   #1
Barry OP
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,117
Cutting New Dirt Bike Trails Through Woods ! - QUESTION !

I want to see if any of you "outdoorsy" types have any thoughts or opinions on my plan.

I got a ton of woods that back to my property. They are in turn backed by a railroad. Tons of woods.

I WANT TO RIDE THEM !

So my plan is to get some buddies over, 6-10 (more the merrier) and we all ride single file through the woods to "cut" trails. Is it just that simple? There are no existing trails. Not a ton of deadfall. I'll cut out of the way what I must AFTER we have a trail network built up.

I'm not dropping trees or saplings to make the trail. I simply need to wear one into the forest.

So, is that a good plan ?

Barry

ps - Tree huggers can post somewhere else... your input is not needed or wanted!

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:57 AM   #2
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,314
It's that easy. The more you ride it, the better the trail will get. Don't cut out all of the dead fall, that would take some of the fun out of it.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:00 AM   #3
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,092
I'm about as far from a tree hugger as you can get, but I would first talk with the land owner (since you say the property butts up to the back of your property) before you even go on it. Even if it belongs to the railroad, you do not have the right to trespass, much less start making trails.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:02 AM   #4
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,314
Good point!

Fatchance is right. Permission is very important, otherwise you could open a huge can of worms.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:13 AM   #5
Barry OP
Just Beastly

I'm guessing that the property between the tracks and my house is either 1) railroad property all the way to my land, or 2) county land in between my land and the railroad property.

I am NOT asking permission - that's the quickest way to be told "NO!"... It's in the boonies, not near a road, no access by truck/4x4, etc. It's there, unused, and I wouldn't be beating old women and/or dealing crack, I'd be riding my dirtbike. Nobody will be the wiser that anyone is back there. Unless YOU are also there on a dirtbike or quad.

Since it's that easy, I'm on it. NEXT is me renting a D70 to build an MX track on my property. Ultimately it will be MX track AND woods trails. I got an XR and a KX !

WooT !
Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:29 AM   #6
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
BAH! You bought a dirtbike, right? Look at the tires- are they knobbies? That land is made of dirt, isn't it? Seems like fate to me- I say ride that shit!

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:31 AM   #7
Barry OP
Just Beastly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
BAH! You bought a dirtbike, right? Look at the tires- are they knobbies? That land is made of dirt, isn't it? Seems like fate to me- I say ride that shit!
Exactly. Riding land nobody cares about, goes to, or ever sees? I see no problem there. Hell, some of it is mine, I just don't know how much.

Barry

Old 07-09-2004, 11:54 AM   #8
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
I'm guessing that the property between the tracks and my house is either 1) railroad property all the way to my land, or 2) county land in between my land and the railroad property.

I am NOT asking permission - that's the quickest way to be told "NO!"... It's in the boonies, not near a road, no access by truck/4x4, etc. It's there, unused, and I wouldn't be beating old women and/or dealing crack, I'd be riding my dirtbike. Nobody will be the wiser that anyone is back there. Unless YOU are also there on a dirtbike or quad.

Since it's that easy, I'm on it. NEXT is me renting a D70 to build an MX track on my property. Ultimately it will be MX track AND woods trails. I got an XR and a KX !

WooT !
Barry
just facking do it. if ever caught say 'whoops, sorry.' be sure to take off your helmet and let them know you're not some young punk kid. unless of course you are a young punk, then you're screwed and will have to find another home for your meth lab.

far easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission i always say.
matey peeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:06 PM   #9
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,470
Always easier to ask foregivness than permission.

Of course, do that shit in CA, and people will string up piano wire between trees and shit.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:34 PM   #10
FatChance
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
Barry - It is people with attitudes like yours that are causing all of the riding areas around the county to be shut down for all access and giving all responsible riders a bad name. If you want to use someone else's property to ride on, buy it and then use it as you like. You want to use someone else's land for you own uses and make your own trails on it? Stand up on your back legs and buy it or stay off. You can justify it any which way you want, but you're screwing all legitimate off road riders. Grow up and take some responsibility. And, don't come back whining when you get arrested and justifiably sued for trespassing and willful destruction of private property. If I were on the jury, you'd get the max, Mr. "I don't give a fuck about other people's private property" dood.

FatChance screwed with this post 07-09-2004 at 12:48 PM
Old 07-09-2004, 12:43 PM   #11
Mountain Goat
Wandering Bike Dude

Oddometer: 205
Don't Tresspass

Stop and Think. This isn't some stupid Marxist country, this is the USA and we have private property rights here. Get permission or stay off.

MG
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:50 PM   #12
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

I don't recall him saying anything about "No Trespassing" signs... sounds almost sure it's RR company land... so what the hell is the big deal? "You made knobby tracks in my dirt!!!" Oh My- the horror!!!! If somebody asks you to stop- you stop. Why all the litigious bullshit? Can't we all just get along???

Old 07-09-2004, 12:53 PM   #13
FatChance
Road Captain

Jabba - We can all get along as long as we all obey the law and respect other people's private property rights. The land isn't his and he has NO right to cut trails on it. He would deserve getting busted if he did.

Old 07-09-2004, 01:07 PM   #14
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

You obviously don't remember the 70's! That was the essence of the riding we did back then- and it was a blast. Didn't do any harm, either. If ya get caught you say "sorry" and offer to tidy things up. BFD. Lawsuits over shit like this are the sole property of litigious assholes.
A sidenote just to piss you off some more: When I was a kid we used to go spearfishing at the beach a few miles from my house. The flounder suffered greatly at our hands for several summers (and tasted great!). The folks along that stretch of cove believed that because they bought beachfront property they owned the beach itself. I knew that wasn't the law in NH- and it pissed me off that they'd always try to kick us out of there. One day I was walking back along the edge of the water with a dive bag full of fresh flounder and some old Crone came along and told me to get off "Her" beach. I said, "You OWN the beach?" and she stood there with her hands on her hips and said, "That's right!". So I said, "Hmmmm.... do you own the Atlantic ocean too?" and stepped two feet into the water and flipped her off. The rest of the summer I would walk along the edge of the water and whenver I'd see her coming I'd step into the water and wave Owning land is a pipedream- at best it's just a lease~

Old 07-09-2004, 01:14 PM   #15
FatChance
Road Captain

Stories about you being a jerk aren't part of this issue. He IS talking about doing some harm on someone else's property. He doesn't own the land and wants to cut his own trails on it. I well remember the 70's, but I also am a land owner and can appreciate what private property rights are all about. BTW, next time I'm riding in your neighborhood, I'll stop and dump a big, smelly shit on your front lawn. That's not a problem, right dood? Hell, we used to do that in the 70's but that doesn't make it right.