Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #61
marcoue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Incredible story and fabulous pictures.....Thank you for having taken us along. I(we) failed to do the Dempster in 2009 due to a weak sidecar wheel bearing and would like to challenge it again but porbably not in the mud!

Cheers....
You know what, I love Adventure but I would probably not do it again in mud and rain!

Thanks for the comment!
marcoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #62
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Wonderful ride report. I am among those who appreciate your honest and accurate writing style.

I picked up several ideas for a similar ride I'm planning.

Thanks!

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #63
wescnmbkr1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Marc.Ouellet

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoue View Post
Post Mortem
Having just read your journey, May 17, '11, it reminded me of my motorcycle journey in 2008 throughout Northwest Canada and Alaska. A journey I had dreamed of since a very yougn boy, was the ride of my life. I travelled NWT into Yellowknife, Yukon Territory, thru Alaska, and return to home southeast of Seattle, WA. USA. My trusty steed is a 2006 Suzuki DualSport DR650SE. Much preperation & upgrading of suspension, seat, airbox, GPS, SPOT, and numerous other upgrades made the journey safe and very enjoyable! I applaud you for your blog here and terriffic photos! Great Job!!
wescnmbkr1
My trip to Western Canada was planned for a long time. In fact, the research began in September 2007 with the purchase (order in advance) of my 2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure.

The Internet is a source of unlimited information and sites as:… helped me a great deal to prepare mentally as well as for the planning of necessary equipment to undertake a voyage to the Arctic Circle.
Here is my planned roadmap (PDF). You will find that the differences are mainly in the time allotted for each portion of the trip. In fact, I realize that distances of 1200 km are very easy to do in this part of the world and that the places I had planned to stop to stop (visit and sleep) didn’t offer much to see, therefore, this was an incentive to keep going and accumulate a few more miles each day.

Also, here are the PDF list of my planned route, my equipment and detailed modifications to the bike.Looking back at the trip, I’m quite happy with the general planning but of course, many things would be different…

Here are the highlights of my preparation:
  1. GPS: mandatory! And the model chosen (zumo 550) was perfect. Yes I know, some say that the good old maps are case but for my part, I have no time to lose to get lost! There are so many interesting things to see that I do not have one or two hours to lose to find an address or just a motel. It is a tool that existed in 2008. It is THE tool that I use at most;
  2. GPS Touratech lockable Support: Allows peace of mind when you leave the bike a few minutes and the strength needed to tackle the trails or roads in poor condition;
  3. Tires TKC80: saved my life comming back from of Inuvik and having them on the bike provided protection against possible punctures. In addition, they save me a fortune since buying them out west is unaffordable;
  4. Widder heated vest with sleeves: I cannot imagine a bike trip without this piece of equipment. It’s as simple as that! The advantage of the Widder was the strength of its connection and dimmer which allows precise adjustment of desired temperature;
  5. Electronic Suspension ASC: This option on the new 2008 GS provides real advantages when driving off-road and especially with a heavily loaded vehicle.
  6. Throttle Lock: While not a cruise control as such, this mechanism block the accelerator handle and permits rest the arm from time to time. In addition, it allows you to manipulate things in the right hand (zipper, helmet, food …) which is a great advantage. I could not imagine such a journey without this piece of equipment!
  7. Tire change, mechanical basis: Having practiced changing tires and making a summary disassembly of the motorcycle safe before leaving and preparing to possible problems.

Weaknesses or things to improve

1. BMW Gloves: These leather gloves do the work in 95% of the time but do not offer sufficient protection against the cold and rain. I will try to find a waterproof shell to wear over them in case of inclement weather.
2. Sleeping bag: My sleeping bag (+7), although ultra compact, made the majority of my nights uncomfortable. Unfortunately, you need a -7 type of sleeping bag in Canada, even in summer wich increases the luggage volume.
3. Luggage System: My strategy was simple: nothing should be unlocked on the bike except for a cheap cooler. I will review this strategy because it does not allow me to bring the equipment needed for camping in Canada.
4. Lighting: The lights of the GS series are not sufficient to drive comfortably at night, even with the fog lights that help. Frankly, it is unsafe. (HID on he way!)
5. The original seat of my BMW R1200 GS Adventure is firm, solid and comfortable for many situations, but is not designed for long days of driving and was certainly one of the most negative point of the trip. Despite the addition of an Airhawk 2 cushion, the pain was quick to appear and quite severe at times. Seargent seat please!

One quick word to complete this blog, I have to mention the invaluable help of the residents of Western Canada. People are generally very friendly, polite and helpful.

Despite the obvious difficulties of such a trip, I’m surprised to already feel the need to return.

Western Canada is a majestic place. The scenery is breathtaking, especially in mountain areas. The sea is beautiful although a little cold (ok, polar cold!).

It should also be noted that distances between destinations or simply refueling points are uge, especially up north. It’s essential to carry a survival kit, ie, tent, sleeping bag, rations for 2 or 3 days, water filter, warm clothing even in summer. All this just seem cumbersome, but a mechanical failure or incident can have serious consequences if the minimum preparation isn’t done. Do not rely on others to help us because often there is simply no one else around!

I hope this travel blog will be of some use if you are planning such an adventure, or simply, if you are dreaming of one!

Feel free to contact me if you need additional information. (marc.ouellet@gmail.com) .
wescnmbkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #64
marcoue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
Wonderful ride report. I am among those who appreciate your honest and accurate writing style.

I picked up several ideas for a similar ride I'm planning.

Thanks!
Thanks!

Still working on my spelling mistakes!!!

Hope you get the chance to go up there one day! Well worth it!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #65
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoue View Post
Thanks!

Still working on my spelling mistakes!!!
Great RR, just read the whole report and loved the pictures and descriptions, your English is really good, wish my French was that good

I have traveled up the east coast all the way to Gaspe, QC and loved the area. I want to do Nova Scotia and Labrador too.

In 2012 I'm planning on going to Deadhorse, Alaska, I read your trip with great interest because you followed a route that I want to do. I'm planning on crossing to Canada in Buffalo and then follow the Trans Canada Hwy and end in Dawson Creek.
From there I will follow the Alaska Hwy and go north to Dawson, YT. I will then go into Alaska.

On the way back I will hit Jasper and Banff

Thanks for the report and pictures
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #66
Shivanshu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Just marvellous I just went through your whole trip log and it is awesome...... just dont have words. I think you used the complete potential of GS. Great going buddy
Shivanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #67
marcoue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post
Great RR, just read the whole report and loved the pictures and descriptions, your English is really good, wish my French was that good

I have traveled up the east coast all the way to Gaspe, QC and loved the area. I want to do Nova Scotia and Labrador too.

In 2012 I'm planning on going to Deadhorse, Alaska, I read your trip with great interest because you followed a route that I want to do. I'm planning on crossing to Canada in Buffalo and then follow the Trans Canada Hwy and end in Dawson Creek.
From there I will follow the Alaska Hwy and go north to Dawson, YT. I will then go into Alaska.

On the way back I will hit Jasper and Banff

Thanks for the report and pictures
Thanks!

Make sure you save a bit of time for Dawson City! Quite a fun place!

About Labrador, I did it 2 summers ago. Long drive! I hope you will make Newfoundland part of you ride because it was the highlight of my summer!

Enjoy the trip! you won't regret it!
Old 12-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #68
marcoue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Just marvellous I just went through your whole trip log and it is awesome...... just dont have words. I think you used the complete potential of GS. Great going buddy
Thanks Shivanshu! Dreaming of riding my beast in your country one day!!!
Old 12-25-2011, 06:01 AM   #69
RedDogAlberta
Banned

Oddometer: 5,838
Your commentary on Alberta and Edmonton in particular were offensive and inaccurate. I've never heard the term "Ed-monotone" in 52 years. Your comments reflect what we hear a lot - jealousy and envy. Do us all a favour and don't come back please.

RedDogAlberta screwed with this post 12-25-2011 at 06:06 AM
RedDogAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #70
marcoue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta View Post
Your commentary on Alberta and Edmonton in particular were offensive and inaccurate. I've never heard the term "Ed-monotone" in 52 years. Your comments reflect what we hear a lot - jealousy and envy. Do us all a favour and don't come back please.
You're right. I have removed the comments.

I've been back in AB and Edmonton a few times since 2008. First impressions are sometimes wrong and yes, like every city, once you get to know people from the area, it's easier to appreciate the city and discover what it has to offer!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #71
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Great Ride! Next time do yourself a favor and visit the Kootenays in the SE corner of BC.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #72
marcoue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenay kid View Post
Great Ride! Next time do yourself a favor and visit the Kootenays in the SE corner of BC.
You are so right! I might visit next summer. I did drive thru the park if I remember well, but was a bit on a rush to get to Calgary. It looked very good. Many great lakes and mountain.

Obviously, there are many places I did not visit. Perfect reason to drive back no?!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #73
stromsavard
Sergio

Oddometer: 157
Salut Marc!! Super ride report!! Merci pour les belle photos, c'est tout un trip que tu as fait là!! Depuis que j'avais vu ta moto neuve sortir du crate chez Moto Inter via youtube, je me doutais bien que tu nous ferais un beau voyage documenter un de ces quatres!! Encore une fois merci de partager ce trip avec nous autres!! C'est vraiment inspirant!!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #74
marcoue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromsavard View Post
Salut Marc!! Super ride report!! Merci pour les belle photos, c'est tout un trip que tu as fait là!! Depuis que j'avais vu ta moto neuve sortir du crate chez Moto Inter via youtube, je me doutais bien que tu nous ferais un beau voyage documenter un de ces quatres!! Encore une fois merci de partager ce trip avec nous autres!! C'est vraiment inspirant!!
Wow, tu es au courant de bien des choses!!!

Effectivement, après la sortie de boîte, je n'ai pas pu résister de faire quelques kilomètres avec la bête! J'ai finalement fait 80 000 km en 2 étés (tout le Canada et une partie de l'Ouest Américan) pour ensuite la remplacer par une 2010:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT_EOUeYnkc&hd=1 (en HD cette fois!)

Je rêve maintenant à la Patagonia et l'Europe!
Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #75
stromsavard
Sergio

Oddometer: 157
Salut Marc!! C'est vrai que je suis au courant de pas mal de chose qui concerne les voyages à moto!!! Je me ramasse une banque de donner sur l'ouest Canadien, TNW, et Alaska, provenant de trippeux de voyage à moto comme toi!!! Bonne chance pour ton prochain voyage et tiens nous au courant s.v.p.!!!