Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,613
Exploring The Southwest 2009 - 23 Days On The Big Yellow Adventure Bike

Hi!

I have some pictures downloaded and ready to start posting, but I have a problem with posting and need some help. I normally write on a word program and then copy and paste, but when I do this, it closes the ADV Program. This was not a problem before the hard Drive was replaced on our "new" Dell computer for the second time just before this trip.

I'll be writing on the word prgram and waiting for some advise. I hope it was OK to post this here!
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 1 On The Big Yellow Adventure Bike

Test #1
Old 05-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,419
Hey Donnie
I do my trip reports in MS Word also. Even putting in the picture links. Then I copy and paste the whole thing to Adv or TWT or where ever. Not sure where your problem lies.

Mine are set up kinda like this below. I have a * in the IMG so it won't show the picture.

This is a short local run to check out a new camera and see what’s happening along the Louisiana coast. Leaving Jennings, La. About 11:AM, me and the Bandit headed West on US 90. One of my favorite ways to avoid NASCAR I – 10. ;-).

[IMG*]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/achesley1943/Cameron%20Run/1US90W.jpg[/IMG]

Mainly just farmland with a few towns to go through. Didn’t see much activity in the Crawfish farms, but some are getting the fields ready for planting rice. Water leveling, plowing, etc. Wasn’t able to get pics of that due to a bit of traffic at the wrong time.

[IMG*]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/achesley1943/Cameron%20Run/2Junction165and90.jpg[/IMG]

And when I post it , it comes out like this.

This is a short local run to check out a new camera and see what’s happening along the Louisiana coast. Leaving Jennings, La. About 11:AM, me and the Bandit headed West on US 90. One of my favorite ways to avoid NASCAR I – 10. ;-).

Mainly just farmland with a few towns to go through. Didn’t see much activity in the Crawfish farms, but some are getting the fields ready for planting rice. Water leveling, plowing, etc. Wasn’t able to get pics of that due to a bit of traffic at the wrong time.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Andy!

I am on the "old" computer while Sheryl is at the new computer talking with Dell about the problem. The "new Dell" computer is on it's third Hard Drive and the current problem did not exist on the original Hard Drive or the first replacement. If we don't get the problem resolved shortly, I will start posting the report from this computer.

Donnie
Old 05-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Dell would not solve the problem! Here is the link to the post I just put on Jo Momma: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...49#post9876049
Check it out if you are considering purchasing a Dell or just interested.

Donnie
Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

OK, the computer drama is out of the way and time to get on with this Trip Report with the “old” Dell! And the last Dell I might add!

We have been waiting for a while to begin this trip. Since we were planning on camping much of the time I had been watching the 10 day weather forecast to the various area we were planning on camping and basically waiting for it to warm up a bit. Camping in the “teens” does not sound like fun! We are retired, so timing is not much of an issue. Day 1 turned out to be April 26 and the only time constraints are to be in Vegas on our reservations dates and to be home by May 25, my father’s 82 Birthday. So away we go!

First we head to MS1 and head south to Greenville, MS were we cross the Mississippi River on US82.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

We continued across Arkansas in a north westerly route crossing through Fordyce, eventually crossing I30 at Arkadelphia. We continued on rural pavement until intersecting US70, where we headed west.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Later in the evening we passed through Broken Bow, OK. This is not too far from where we lived in Texarkana, TX for four and a half years and was the location of Sheryl’s favorite furniture shopping.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

It was clouding up a bit, but we never got rained on. At least not today!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

BTW, this trip is like the one last fall, “we get where we get” and today we got here.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Our palace for the night. This is the first time we have camped since last fall, but we had no problem getting the tent up. However, there was a problem!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #12
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

No, not him! That was just the squirrel Sheryl fed our supper!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Look! Somebody stole our wheels!

Not really!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #14
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

When I leaned against the trailer to get the tent out, I noticed that the trailer wobbled in a strange way so after putting up the tent I investigated. The inner bearing on both wheel were gone! The right wheel still had three or four roller balls held some kind of way and the left wheel had no roller balls at all! The outside bearing were showing considerable wear which I’m sure was caused by the failure of the inner bearings.

The holes you see here are supposed to be filled with the inner races and roller balls!

Not to sound like a Bushtec commercial, but neither Sheryl or myself never heard or felt a thing! I had actually looked at the wheels a couple of times during the day to insure that they were standing straight up which indicates that the air pressure in the shocks is adjusted correctly.

This will have to be fixed before we can move on tomorrow! First thing to do is leave a message on my cousin’s cell phone letting him know that we might not make Canyon, TX the next day. He is planning on taking off work a couple days and riding with us so I want him to know ASAP, that the time line might move a bit. But, since we are retired and he is self employed, I know moving our ride a day or so will not be an issue. What may be an issue is that tomorrow is Monday and it is unlikely that any bike shops will be open. I have already found an O’Reilly’s on my GPS.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:34 AM   #15
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sheryl’s View Of Day 1

We are “on the road again” for another great adventure! Across the Mississippi River we go into the beautiful state of Arkansas (also the home of our new “AMERICAN IDOL”- KRIS ALLEN). If you have not traveled in Arkansas there are some beautiful sites to see, try it sometime! As we were going through Broken Bow, Ok. I was watching for Glen’s Furniture Co. on US70. It was still there! They have the best prices on furniture and if they do not have what you want they will get it for you. It looks like the building is the same as when I bought furniture there so be prepared, there is no AC or heat. Dress accordingly! I love camping but Donnie and I do have a little difference of opinion on the Palace! Donnie ate “his” supper; the poor Squirrel only had a little piece of bread. The wheel story belongs to Donnie!
Sheryl

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 05-21-2009 at 02:11 PM