ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 04:41 AM   #1
sstewart OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
Aux Fan Kit

Has anyone used the aux fan that BlackDog sells? I purchased the kit,I already have the lower thermostat switch installed. I don't know if this is overkill or not. Just trying to keep her as cool as possible.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:27 AM   #2
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
If you've already bought it, why are you asking?

Unless it's really hot out or you do a lot of slow riding, typically the stock setup is fine. It is, however, extremely sensitive to bleeding. I'm of the opinion that if you're going to run a lower temp switch, you should probably run a second fan too, otherwise the stock fan is going to run all the time, and it's not unheard-of for the fan to die. 2 fans should noticeably decrease how long the fans run to bring it back to temp.
1992 Subaru SVX daily
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:37 AM   #3
Grayjet
Ride on!

Oddometer: 450
Put it in (that's what she said)

My 990 would overheat when I exited the highway into stop and go traffic. I burped the bejesus out of it, but it still overheated. The second fan changed all that. I also purchased the lower temp switch, but have not installed it. I wanted to see what the second fan would do on its own before adding the switch. That was a year ago. Not one overheat since then. Do it!

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:46 AM   #4
Jaimoto
Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer: 1,256
I have the AdvMachines second fan and I think is one of the best things I added to the 990. During slow off roading and city traffic it cools the bike really fast, I only see 5 bars for a few seconds now and then both fans turn off. Before this mod I could be riding with 5 bars and the fan running forever

Big, Loud and Orange KTM 990 Adv
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimoto View Post
I have the AdvMachines second fan and I think is one of the best things I added to the 990. During slow off roading and city traffic it cools the bike really fast, I only see 5 bars for a few seconds now and then both fans turn off. Before this mod I could be riding with 5 bars and the fan running forever
+1 they were also the first to offer it to inmates.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
The Doc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimoto View Post
This is exactly what I found.
Ive had one fan die (original main) and two ktm thermo switches die, hence its probably a good idea to have a manual fan switch.

BMW Adventure bikes..... just an excuse to go home early
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
TCal
DeathGRIP

Oddometer: 32
Got it, love it. Easy install (setting aside the f&$/*ing tank removal/ replacement. Kurt is always awesome about Tim's and support for the install. She's a hot mama, and needs all the chilling effect she can get.
2009 Husqvarna TE310 (SOLD) 2007 BMW R1200GS (SOLD) 2004 Husqvarna TC450 (SOLD)
TCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
crushing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Before adding the BD 2nd fan (and lower temp switch at the same time), I'd run into 5 bars pretty frequently. Now it's always running at 4 bars. The second fan probably cools quicker for the slow stuff, but a mechanic out here said he wouldn't bother adding the second fan. I think the reason is more air flow restriction when cruising?

I'd say if the lower temp switch keeps your bike at 4 bars, I'd keep the $150 in your pocket and keep the weight off your bike. Otherwise install the 2nd fan.
crushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:52 AM   #9
Jaimoto
Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer: 1,256
I think the air restriction is minimal and outweighed by the cooling ability of the second fan.
However, I agree that isn't necessary for everyone; if someone doesn't ride in heavy traffic at high temps, or off road on slow trails, and rides the 9X0 at speeds that allows a good flow it may be not needed.

To me, it's a must !

Big, Loud and Orange KTM 990 Adv
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
KtmPedro220
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Why not get Engine Ice?? Does help.
KtmPedro220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #11
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 626
In my case, even on a cool day, like 60-70 degrees, my bike will run 4 bars from the top and sometimes see 2 bars from the top with the fan trying to cool things off in stop and go traffic. Summer isn't even here yet, where I'll see 110 degrees or more.

Tried burping the coolant myself several times, then took it to dealer. It was better after the dealer but something tells me my bike is still running on average more hot than it should given the conditions. I've never had a bike that runs on the fan so freaking much. A second fan it definitely in my future.

ben
Old 02-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #12
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
IMO the second fan is one of those things that should have come from the factory. Before adding it my 07 bike got hot on a ride out in the black rock desert and once it got on the high side of 5 bars or onto 6 bars the fan was running full bore and at idle or riding below 30mph the bike wouldn't get back to 4 bars.

It never overheated technically but probably would have if I hadn't bailed on the trickiest part of the ride

(My body's cooling system DID fail and I got heat stroke)

Since adding the 2nd fan it stays on 4 bars and when it gets warm the fans turn on, cool it down, and turn back off like it should
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #13
sstewart OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
Aux fan

I run a lower thermo switch,engine ice,and now an aux fan. It cools down very quickly now. I can't believe how quickly it does.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:22 AM   #14
up2nogood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I'm running second fan and lower temp switch. Keeps cooler on the tight stuff, so works as intended.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:35 AM   #15
556baller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I run a 2nd fan kit and temp sensor kit and I live in North County San Diego. Engine temp was only an issue when stuck in traffic.