User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #46
Vaquero
wanderer

Oddometer: 21
Question 1150 gsa?

So I had pretty much made up my mind on a 12GS and all of the sudden my buddy decides he wants to sell his 04GSA with 3500 miles. It throws a wrench into what I've been thinking lately, but I am seriously considering it. The thing is brand new. He kept sayin' he was gonna ride it but never did. I always liked that low 1st gear. What do you think?
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #47
Rick G OP
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,906
Buy it! Duhh!!!

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #48
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Oddometer: 853
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero
So I had pretty much made up my mind on a 12GS and all of the sudden my buddy decides he wants to sell his 04GSA with 3500 miles. It throws a wrench into what I've been thinking lately, but I am seriously considering it. The thing is brand new. He kept sayin' he was gonna ride it but never did. I always liked that low 1st gear. What do you think?
DON'T buy it! You will hate it.

Oh, could you give your friend's phone number?
KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L
GSMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #49
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero
No brainer. 1150 has more character and soul. I'm sure the 12 is a better performing bike, but the 1150 just feels better. I have two.

Even after one was crashed, it's been repaired and is still a blast to ride.
1250 though.....hmmmmm. I wonder if they are going to go old school with it. Still, it would be an add-on for my stable. Did 500 miles on mine today and it's just a great bike.
If I had a chance to buy an 1150 with super low miles, clean and pristine....you just can't go wrong.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #50
ServoJockey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I bought an '01 a couple of years ago. After 12,000 miles and a few mods to make us more compatible, I dont see a different bike in my near future.
One of the few bikes I have had that dont think twice about getting on. I commute every day that Michigan allows.
This past Sunday I took it to Milwaukee, home on Wednsday about 9:30 pm, and back on it for work at 7 the next morning.

I wont finance a vehicle, so I have to be careful with my $$ and this bike fits the bill nicely.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 PM   #51
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer: 974
G luv

Loved my '02 GS

And now I'm luvin my '02 GSA....

She's been great off road....

Great on the street...

She doesn't mind all the crap I make her carry....

and is even a great sport about a 4 day 3-way with the wife....

Best bike I've owned, and plan to keep her for a long time

Cheers!
A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:01 AM   #52
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,174
Vern,
I recognize a few places there, including the Jericho rock...

Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #53
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G
This bike has definitely been the single best bike ownership experience I have had since I started riding 14 years ago.

Rick G
Rick,
I have an '04 with 41,000 miles on it and the only thing I'd change in your statement is ...."I started riding 43 years ago". I've had a few more issues than you (replaced starter and clutch slave cylinder), but can't see myself ever selling my bike.
One short note. I have exactly the same temp gauge as you do (see link for review http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/formo...hermometer.htm) and had it located in the space between and below my speedometer and tach. On an overcast day I did a 500 mile ride at a stated 40 degrees. Despite being appropriately dressed I got so chilled I had to pull over 4 times just to recover enough to go on. I began to wonder if I didn't have the flu. To make a long story short I subsequently found out it was a lot colder than the temp gauge indicated. The erroneous reading was attributable to the warm air from my engine/oil cooler. I have since moved the gauge to my clutch fluid reservoir, where it faces me, and unless parked in the sun I now get accurate readings. (have a spare NIB Formotion Classic temp gauge if someone is interested; $30 plus shipping)
PETDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #54
Rick G OP
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC
One short note. I have exactly the same temp gauge as you do (see link for review http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/formo...hermometer.htm) and had it located in the space between and below my speedometer and tach. On an overcast day I did a 500 mile ride at a stated 40 degrees. Despite being appropriately dressed I got so chilled I had to pull over 4 times just to recover enough to go on. I began to wonder if I didn't have the flu. To make a long story short I subsequently found out it was a lot colder than the temp gauge indicated. The erroneous reading was attributable to the warm air from my engine/oil cooler. I have since moved the gauge to my clutch fluid reservoir, where it faces me, and unless parked in the sun I now get accurate readings. (have a spare NIB Formotion Classic temp gauge if someone is interested; $30 plus shipping)
I have been meaing to relocate that temp guage for that very reason ever since I first bought it and noticed that it would register 80 degrees when it was only 60 out. Who knew these engines put out so much heat by the dash. One of these days, I will get a round tuit.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:09 AM   #55
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
My '05 R1200GS was a better riding bike in most ways than my '01 R1150GS, but I never liked it as much. I thought the 1150 was built nicer and it just felt more ADV than the 1200 to me. The 1150 was more comfortable when packed heavy, and maybe it wasn't as nimble but the stability in crosswinds was much better. To me the 1150 just felt like a much more relaxed bike to ride, if that makes sense.

My 1150 also had the blue/white paint scheme, which I think was one of BMW's best efforts. The steel tank also made it feel more like a motorcycle than an appliance. It was one of the very few bikes I've owned that I really miss and regret selling.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #56
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,961
Plenty of Love

2000 GS, near 80k miles. Plenty of mods (Ricky Bars, 3.0 FD, Ohlins, external filter, lights, horns, chopped screen, bark busters) and it's a daily commuter that gets at least one or two long hauls each year. Issues? I think it might be time for a new clutch plate, I want to replace the alternator with a RTP model, I break about one spoke a year, and I'll put on SS brake lines. It rides perfectly, is stable in every curve, and jumps when I twist the throttle. A keeper.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #57
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb Wrong colour, but still cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew

2000 GS, near 80k miles.
Sir,
what tire is that you have there?

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #58
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk
Sir,
what tire is that you have there?

[TaSK]
I think those were Bridgestones?

I'm on my third pair of Michelin Pilot Roads now, and they're the very best I've yet used on pavement. Dual-compound rubber, they wear nicely in the center but retain excellent grip in turns. And very clean linear turn-in when you shove the bars over.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #59
bullfrog
Dismember

Oddometer: 591
love.

bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #60
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,087
Lots of love,