ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2009, 05:51 AM   #16
yawningfungus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzo
This may sound weird but....1)I have my zumo mounted to the dash behind the shield on my 08 990. I installed a reinforced piece of aluminum mounted to the headlight frame assembly when I had the bike apart. This brace definitelysecures the dash due to weight and vibration. 2) I used a Ram mount with rubber between the base of the mount and the dask.

The weird thing is that when i am tooling around in gear (NOT 1st GEAR) and my revs get to around 2800-3000 the vibration of the zumo mandates a downshift to the next lower gear and at 3000 rpm or higher, the unit has no vibration is as smooth as glass (kind of).

I assume others expereince a smoother ride at higher revs and by keeping the bike in the 4000-6000 range.
Unfortunately what you are experiencing here is the natural resonance of the bracket setup you have and it is being excited by the vibration created by the engine. What you can do to aviod it is probably try a less rubbery bit of rubber if that makes sense, this should stiffen it up and help the problem.
yawningfungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
woodside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Same as some of the others, RAM mounted to the dash. Lowrance XOG, I'm happy with how it works.

woodside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #18
mysterio
Eventually an Adventurer.

Oddometer: 985
Damned Touratech mount costs half as much as the Zumo does here in Oz
mysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #19
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyC
You need to be up on your pegs if it's shaking your gps that badly.

Did you install the rubber feet under the mount?
Ha! Basically what is shaking is the suspension of the TT mount itself, on rocky two track or washboard road of course. I do think its a good thing for the longevity of the plastic zumo cradle though.

rubber feet under the mount? Not quite sure what you are referring to, you mean the metal part that bolts onto the dash?

Here's a pic of my setup with the TT mount and hardware.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #20
BobbyC
n00b

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterio
Damned Touratech mount costs half as much as the Zumo does here in Oz
My TT mounts cost more than my upgraded 2720 ($200 vs. $110)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
rubber feet under the mount? Not quite sure what you are referring to, you mean the metal part that bolts onto the dash?
The TT adapter attaches at the front and there are 2 rubber bumpers toward the back, on the bottom. When I first installed the mount, I thought it vibrated too much until I looked at it again (and the instructions) and installed the rubber feet. Now it rarely, if ever, vibrates enough that its unuseable.

"I LOVE my bike!!!"
BobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #21
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
I just got the basic RAM ball mount with a diamond plate base and bolted it to the top of the dash:

I use one of these double ball-socket arms as it's easy to adjust in all directions:

This is the view from the rider's position:

I've got the same model Garmin (same body anyway - 2730). Its heavy on a Ram mount. How did you reinforce the plastic?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #22
R Doug
Recalculating

Oddometer: 313
I ordered the KTM version this afternoon and went outside to tinker w/ the bike trying to get a game plan on how it's mounted.

How does one access the underside of the dash? Is the nose like the one on my Super Duke and it tilts forward?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #23
R Doug
Recalculating

nevermind....

http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/d...a00d75d86246c4
Old 08-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #24
pigstain
Out of Control

Oddometer: 322
I had the TT dash mount with my 376C and a TT mount and it was horrible mounted on the dash. Couldn't see shit off road. Hell, on road wasn't that great either. Just too much vibration with it hanging out up there. I even drilled through the mount and the rubber feet and secured with 2 additional bolts through to the dash and it still was unacceptable. Promptly sold the mount and just mounted the 376 and TT cradle directly to a handlebar crossbar. Solid off road. Little harder to see standing on the fly since i have to look down but that's the tradeoff for something that isn't gonna vibrate itself to death.

2005 Honda CRF450X plated
pigstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #25
Timtim
BadGrandad

Oddometer: 89
Thumbs down

Yep, i couldn't agree more ! Just installed the dash mount adapter and zumo lockable holder on my '09 Adv.

Firstly, the set up is for the earlier models, NOT the new '09, so some extra drilling is reqd to line the bracket up with the pre drolled holes, then spacers are reqd to move the whole thing away from the screen.

Secondly, it does not sit neatly on the dash, so one of the rubber pads is not actually in contact with the plastic, so some additional bodging reqd here also.

Thirdly, yes, the whole thing vibrates just too much. If you spend too much time tryin to focus you're more than likely to end up dead !

Fourthly, where the holder fits onto the dash adaptor, it is not scooped out, just a flat surface. Unlike the Ram mounts this is a cheap and crap method of attachment.

To sum it up, i would prefer to send the whole thing back to them with a jar of vaseline [use your imagination !]
Timtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #26
onarock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtim
Yep, i couldn't agree more ! Just installed the dash mount adapter and zumo lockable holder on my '09 Adv.

Firstly, the set up is for the earlier models, NOT the new '09, so some extra drilling is reqd to line the bracket up with the pre drolled holes, then spacers are reqd to move the whole thing away from the screen.

Secondly, it does not sit neatly on the dash, so one of the rubber pads is not actually in contact with the plastic, so some additional bodging reqd here also.

Thirdly, yes, the whole thing vibrates just too much. If you spend too much time tryin to focus you're more than likely to end up dead !

Fourthly, where the holder fits onto the dash adaptor, it is not scooped out, just a flat surface. Unlike the Ram mounts this is a cheap and crap method of attachment.

To sum it up, i would prefer to send the whole thing back to them with a jar of vaseline [use your imagination !]

You are right, the touratech mounts are built for the earlier models ('08 and before), I was in the same trouble to make it fit to the new dashboard.
KTM sells the right ones for the '09

'08 and earlier : Touratech mount
09 : KTM mount
onarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #27
MOTOSOTO
Light Fuse and Get Away!

Oddometer: 470
---I tried searching the threads before posting this, but has anyone mounted a LOWRANCE 540c---to their 990 dash? Tempting...

Width 6.9 in \ 176 mm
Height 5.4 in \ 138 mm
Depth 3.4 in \ 86 mm

Steven David Soto

––––––––––––––––––––––––

MOTOSOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #28
R Doug
Recalculating

I installed the KTM mount for the Garmin Zumo on my 08 last night.

This is what I ordered.

Remove the top side fairings and headlight.

Install the sub dash frame bracket.

Next was the dash side part of the bracket.

Then you mount the Zumo cradle to the new KTM cradle and adjust where you want it before placing the windscreen back on the bike.

Next you install the head light and side fairings.

And finally, you give it a test ride.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 AM   #29
unbeliever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Im about to do the install on this. I went through the kit to familiarize and noticed, I didnt recieve the rubber slugs for the dash mount. Can anyone tell me the rough height of these. I will go to the hardware/parts store and see what I can get to glue on to the bracket.

Also, for those that hard wired your gps into one of the ACC plugs, where did you line your cable through? I want a clean efficient looking set up. I have thought about just drilling a third hole to line the power line through to wire in. Any thoughts?
unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #30
K80JIM
Super Tanker

Oddometer: 556
Poor mans mount. Used the factory plastic snap in mount for the 276c and just built a mount for it to bolt into. Has worked out great. Sorry not the best pictures of the mount behind it.