Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,582
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/default.htm
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #17
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,187
is the tubeless tube difference the sideway construction?

i understood it to be the shape & sealing ability of the bead area. tubeless tires are dseigned for proper sealing whereas tube type tires would leak some air. making the bead area tubeless raises the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
F800GS's are shipping with Bridgestone Battlewings, Michelin Anakees, or Pirelli Scorpion Trails. They're all pretty much the same Tubless Radial design. No biggy.

To clear up the confusion regarding the Tubeless thing on this bike:

A Tubeless tire can be run with or without a tube. The main difference with a Tubeless design is that the sidewalls are a bit thicker to make up for no tube being present. However, the F800GS rims are a Tube-Type rim. The spokes run down the center of the rim, making running no tubes not an option. All that's going on here is they're putting tubes in a 'Tubeless' tire. Again, no biggy.

Tube-Type rim on F800GS:

Tubeless-Type rim on R1200GSA:

On an R12GSA like the one above, the spokes go to the outside of the tire bead, making a sealed cavity.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #18
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
is the tubeless tube difference the sideway construction?

i understood it to be the shape & sealing ability of the bead area. tubeless tires are dseigned for proper sealing whereas tube type tires would leak some air. making the bead area tubeless raises the cost.
Nah, the bead's no different. Natural rubber, or polyisoprene is the basic elastomer used in tire making, which is what is used in a regular tube-type tire. Air will slowly pass through a regular tube-type tire if used in a tubeless application. This is due to the natural chemical make-up of rubber. Halobutyl rubber is used for the tubeless inner liner compounds, because of its low air permeability. When you add the internal surface layer of halobutyl, it makes it impermeable, and therefore a tubeless tire. That aside, the main difference is still in the rim itself. The spokes running down the middle would leak air on a tube-type rim.

In summary the three characteristics of a tubeless wheel setup are:
1) the tubeless type rim
2) the inner Halobutyl impermeable layer of the tubeless tire
3) tire greater wall thickness of the tubeless tire

The Griz screwed with this post 11-22-2009 at 06:39 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #19
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,519
My F800 came with Battle Wings, however I did note the at a bike in the show room (later on in the season) had Perelli Scorpions.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #20
DidYouSeeThat OP
Uhhhh... Where?

Oddometer: 189
Ok... Wow, that was a blast from the past. I have 7000+ miles now and was thinking.. hmmm what to try next. My guess is you guys have out traveled me and already made a tire swap... What did ya get and how do you like em?

When you swapped how'd the bearings look?... I scared the crap out of myself reading the Bearing Failure stuff... Yikes!!!

Thanks
08 TE250 - with 300cc Kit
10 Rubicon
DidYouSeeThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
It took you 4 years to get 7000 miles on your bike? I did that this summer, but regardless, as much as loved the Anakee 2, they are discontinued. For the casual rider, any of the adventure tires are just fine. Ive I had good luck with the Battlewings and they're the cheaper end of the range as well. If you like to hit some gravel the try a TKC on the front and a Tourance , Anakee 3, or Battlewing on the rear.
AviatorTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #22
DidYouSeeThat OP
Uhhhh... Where?

Oddometer: 189
I have just a hair shy of 8000, but I see your point. This is not world traveler kinda mileage...

I'll post photos later to show the wear, maybe I have some time left. Gee at my rate 2000 miles is another year of wear. Ha!

I have a TE300 for my true dirt needs. But I take the bike off road around silverwood lake and through cleghorn pass. Very moderate dirt jeep trails. A bit of ruts, sand, and some mild rock gardens (softball sized) all pretty easy.

I'd say of my 8000 miles maybe 1000 of them have been off road. ~10%.

Anakee's have been great, just dont want to downgrade longevity or offroad performance. Trying to seek out a nearly even swap. Anakee 3's are interesting but get great reviews. They are a bit pricey, but $50 extra for a tire I'll like for 4 more years is worth it.

Thanks for the insight.

Thinking Anakee 3's front and rear unless the front is still good. I'll post pics tomorrow for feedback.
08 TE250 - with 300cc Kit
10 Rubicon
DidYouSeeThat is offline   Reply With Quote