Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Brahma OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
New Final Drive Fluid Amount- substantiated?

Anyone have the latest RepROM for '07 R1200GS?
I don't have the latest, probably the original. I'm trying to find out if the latest that covers the '07 states a different final drive fluid level than 220 ml. I have a 2006 K1200GT and there seems to be references floating about that BMW has changed the fluid level from 220 ml to 180 ml, perhaps to eleviate blowing seals on the failing final drives. I have a similar post going for my K1200GT on another forum, where someone brought this to everyone's attention but only posted a .PDF of a printout copy, without referrence to what models were covered. I just wonder if a similar thing is going on with the GS model. I'd hate to be the fiirst to drain 40 ml of fluid and burn up my drive by TRYING to do the right thing.

Thanks-

B.
Brahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
The new fill level is 200ml for a dry drive, and 180ml for a refill. It applies to all the new drives (since '05) and all the models that have these drives. The BMW note does list all these vehicles. The GS, and (new) GT are included of course. This new fill level is about half full in the drive, so it is highly unlikely that there would be a lack of oil with that kind of a level in any case.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
Brahma OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. I am wondering what the difference between a "dry" drive and a "refill" is. I thought when I drop the drive to swing down 90 degrees to drain my 3 o'clock plug till nothing comes out, and thus needing refilled, it would be a "dry" "refill"....

Opinions?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma
Thanks. I am wondering what the difference between a "dry" drive and a "refill" is. I thought when I drop the drive to swing down 90 degrees to drain my 3 o'clock plug till nothing comes out, and thus needing refilled, it would be a "dry" "refill"....

Opinions?
Dry fill is what occurs at the factory,or if your FD is rebuilt.
When you empty and refill you want the 180 ml. fill amount.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
Brahma OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So I guess logic states 20 cc hides in there... I can see that. Thanks for the explanation. Go figure I JUST DID the change and spline lubes on both my GT and GS 3 weeks ago, filling to 220 ml.

Oh well...

It still would be nice to see a .PDF of the bulletin somewhere...
Old 05-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
DaneelOlivaw
Irv Seaver BMW; Parts Mgr

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma
So I guess logic states 20 cc hides in there... I can see that. Thanks for the explanation. Go figure I JUST DID the change and spline lubes on both my GT and GS 3 weeks ago, filling to 220 ml.

Oh well...

It still would be nice to see a .PDF of the bulletin somewhere...
PM me your VIN(s) and your direct email and a copy of this message, and I'll send the bulletin file to you.
DaneelOlivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
rader creek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Weight question

Now that we know the correct quantity of 180ml for a refill, what is the BMW recommended gear oil weight for a 2007 generation R1200Gs. I have seen both 75-140w & 75-90W mentioned in Adv Rider threads, but what does the factory spec. out? I'm not concerned with what brand of oil inmates are using & have no intention of starting an "oil thread" just info on factory specs.

Thanks

rader creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
New Final Drive Fluid Amount- substantiated?

I've talked to both the service managers at Grassroots BMW, Cape Girardeau, MO. and BMW---St Louis, Mo. and both told me the new fill quantity is 180cc wet and 200cc dry for all '05 forward R1200 bikes.......................their word is good enough for me. I am using 75-90 Mobil 1 synthetic..YMMV

whisperquiet screwed with this post 05-22-2009 at 05:38 PM
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader creek
Now that we know the correct quantity of 180ml for a refill, what is the BMW recommended gear oil weight for a 2007 generation R1200Gs. I have seen both 75-140w & 75-90W mentioned in Adv Rider threads, but what does the factory spec. out? I'm not concerned with what brand of oil inmates are using & have no intention of starting an "oil thread" just info on factory specs.

Thanks

The factory spec is 75W90.
RA & MOA #224
Old 05-23-2009, 12:05 AM   #10
kluts
The Lost Tourguide

Oddometer: 592
Dealers aren't too worried about the fill amount. Like another poster, I had just done mine when the new specs came out . I had an FD seal replaced on warranty and they didn't drain the new fluid to spec, saying they just don't bother until it's time to do it all.

Still when I have the time I am going to pull the plug with the wheel on the bike. The horizontal drain ('05) level is just about where the 180ml level resides so when it stops bleeding you just re-plug. From what I hear.

Substantiate?

Thnks
Any motorcyclist caught holding up automobiles on a winding road will be forced to sell all fringed accessories, buy plaid pants and take up golf.-- Peter Egan ... my internal dialogue was a full on harangue. The Buddhist call this dialogue “the monkey mind” well my monkey mind had a brand new tire in its cage and was whippin’ it around... -Vermin, The Grapes of Rat
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:05 AM   #11
cjack
Studly Adventurer

I think that's been substantiated several times on ADV. You can catch the amount that drains out...should be about 50ml or less. I don't think it is so critical although my '08 K12S weeped a little oil out of the seal when new but quit. But my '06 didn't.
RA & MOA #224
Old 05-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #12
mag00
Outa Control Dave

Oddometer: 422
I just did mine a few weeks ago on an 09 I think I''ll drain and refill as I'd hate to have a seal leak from to much oil.
09 R1200GSA
IBA #25226
mag00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #13
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Funny thing! When I had the outer seal on the FD of my 2005 R1200GS replaced under warranty in 2007 the dealer refilled it through the 9 o'clock drain plug, without pivoting the FD into the downward position as JVB and others (including the early rep roms?) demonstrate.

Was this dealer ahead of its time? Maybe only partially as the tech did use 75-140 to do it.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by malloy
Funny thing! When I had the outer seal on the FD of my 2005 R1200GS replaced under warranty in 2007 the dealer refilled it through the 9 o'clock drain plug, without pivoting the FD into the downward position as JVB and others (including the early rep roms?) demonstrate.

Was this dealer ahead of its time? Maybe only partially as the tech did use 75-140 to do it.
No need to tilt the FD down to fill, never was. The need to tilt it down was to drain the old fluid, and on the older bikes that is still the case. The fact that he only filled to the drain plug only means that he was not following the BMW specs at the time. Even fools are sometimes accidentally correct.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
Remy
Woe is uh a me bop!

Oddometer: 880
Has anyone tried a vacuum evacuator to remove the FD lube? I've used one to change the oil in a four stroke outboard motor and a lawn mower engine. It seems like it would work for the FD.
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote