Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 04:49 AM   #46
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa Meter
Im not sure if this is worldwide or just North America. This would mean I have to keep using 220 ml to keep my warranty intact here. .
Well, I have near 40 thousand miles on my bike without a FD oil leak. I am not rushing out to lower the oil level. If I do it at all it will be when I am scheduled for another oil change, I have 5,000 miles to go before I do that.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:59 AM   #47
huggybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
I had the dealor change the final drive fluid last year,I asume they put in 220ML ,so I find a perfectly level spot in My garage and proceed to drain out the 40ML to bring it to the 180ML level,with both wheels on the level floor only a silver dollar sized puddle came out,I realize if it was on the center stand more would come out,is the later how everyone else drained the excess out?
If My dealor put the 220ML in the last time they changed the FD then it seems that the bottom of the threads on the drain plug always was the correct level in the FD with 220ML amount,anyone else find this to be right?
Thanks

2005 R1200GS
huggybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:00 AM   #48
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggybear
I had the dealor change the final drive fluid last year,I asume they put in 220ML ,so I find a perfectly level spot in My garage and proceed to drain out the 40ML to bring it to the 180ML level,with both wheels on the level floor only a silver dollar sized puddle came out,I realize if it was on the center stand more would come out,is the later how everyone else drained the excess out?
If My dealor put the 220ML in the last time they changed the FD then it seems that the bottom of the threads on the drain plug always was the correct level in the FD with 220ML amount,anyone else find this to be right?
Thanks

2005 R1200GS
Yup, substantiated in this very thread a couple times!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:51 AM   #49
Motor-110
...respect my Authoritah!

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Thanks

2005 R1200GS
I would disagree. To meet the 220ml level, you would have to fill the FD through the filler hole on top and behind the rear brake caliper. That would take the internal level to above the drain hole. That is why opening the drain plug and draining the ~40ml brings it into the 180ml range.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:10 AM   #50
Motor-110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat
Well, I have near 40 thousand miles on my bike without a FD oil leak. I am not rushing out to lower the oil level. If I do it at all it will be when I am scheduled for another oil change, I have 5,000 miles to go before I do that.
It is real easy; go to the garage and open drain plug (don't even have to move the bike). Collect residual oil in container and put plug back in (20Nm).

Step back, open a weisbier and admire your mastery of German engineering .

(Someone stop me here....) So easy, a Mudcat can do it .
Old 06-02-2009, 08:23 AM   #51
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,850
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman
Do you know of any failures that were oil related?

I've read of three failure modes:
1) lack of oil due to a seal failure
2) loose wheel flange fit on the splined axle
3) Pinion bearing failure

The new recommendation might help with 1. It will have no effect on the wheel flange. BMW changed the size of the pinion bearing in the newer drives which implies that the failure had nothing to do with oil.

What other failure modes have you heard of?
Exactly...my biggest gripe with BMW they never let you in on WHY there is a failure of a system or component...NOBODY [perhaps even BMW] can state definitively why the FDs are failing.....so until someone explains how this reduction in lube will stop the failures I will keep mine at 220 ml...

Interesting question: IF BMW now requires the FD lube to be at 180 ml but my BMW DVD states 220 ml and they have not notified me of the change....would my warranty still be valid with a failed FD containing 220 ml?
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #52
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor-110
It is real easy; go to the garage and open drain plug (don't even have to move the bike). Collect residual oil in container and put plug back in (20Nm).

Step back, open a weisbier and admire your mastery of German engineering .

(Someone stop me here....) So easy, a Mudcat can do it .

I’d feel like an idiot, I’d be draining a once and a half out. How much pressure could that relieve?
Have most of us just been lucky?
Watch, I am about to go out on the bike today, I’ll probably blow a seal.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #53
Motor-110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat

...I’ll probably blow a seal.
Hey, that reminds me of an old joke....

AND, this is my 500th post. Do I win anything???
Old 06-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #54
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Interesting question: IF BMW now requires the FD lube to be at 180 ml but my BMW DVD states 220 ml and they have not notified me of the change....would my warranty still be valid with a failed FD containing 220 ml?
Ever read the fine print on anything?

"Specifications subject to change without notice", you can be sure it's embedded on that dvd somewhere.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #55
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Roger That..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Ever read the fine print on anything?

"Specifications subject to change without notice", you can be sure it's embedded on that dvd somewhere.

You got me on that…rhetorical question. Of course they can refuse it….other scary fine print is “Other duties as assigned”. GB have you heard anything on the logic behind reducing the lube volume?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #56
huggybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor-110
I would disagree. To meet the 220ml level, you would have to fill the FD through the filler hole on top and behind the rear brake caliper. That would take the internal level to above the drain hole. That is why opening the drain plug and draining the ~40ml brings it into the 180ml range.
Did You read the part where I said that both wheels were on the level ground and only a splash came out when the plug was removed and that if the dealor put the 220ML in the final drive then the bottom of the threads is and always was the correct level for fluid amount 220MLthe same as it has been on every car,truck and motorcycle I have ever owned,take out the plug and if the fluid is close to the threads Your good to go
Old 06-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #57
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Ah, Controversy!

Quote:
Did You read the part where I said that both wheels were on the level ground and only a splash came out when the plug was removed and that if the dealor put the 220ML in the final drive then the bottom of the threads is and always was the correct level for fluid amount 220MLthe same as it has been on every car,truck and motorcycle I have ever owned,take out the plug and if the fluid is close to the threads Your good to go
Ok...I give in...wheels on ground..not on centerstand...pull drain plug [like mine at about 8 o'clock] and 40 ml will come out if FD was filled to 220 ml? Or will only a "splash" come out if there was 220 ml in FD? I see HB point about how most diffs are checked; but BMW ain't most...and balancing a bike not on a centerstand while checking FD lube might be exciting.

Kinda of important to clarify...on centerstand or not on centerstand...how much will be in FD with drain plug out on CS or off CS...

My take is that FDs are usually drained or filled on the centerstand, so you can take the rear wheel off to give more working room and to drain the FD. Previous FD threads have suggested putting in 180 ml of lube INTO the drain while on centerstand and then putting in drain plug and adding additional 40 ml ['old rules'] through the sensor/filler hole on top [this was a good suggestion; which eliminated the need to spend two days dribbling the 220 ml of lube through the filler hole].

New Rules say 180 ml....might just be a way for BMW of making servicing the FD easier...by filling through drain hole after you drain it.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #58
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,476
Quote:
Kinda of important to clarify...on centerstand or not on centerstand...how much will be in FD with drain plug out on CS or off CS...
Nope. Not important at all. Well, not important except to a bunch of web posters trying to figure out various tricks and shortcuts instead of taking the time to do things correctly.

The (new) spec calls for the addition of 180 ml. The proper value is thus 180 ml (plus whatever is left after draining the old oil). That value is proper regardless of the position of the bike. Be it on its centerstand, its side stand, laying on its side, or hanging upside down the proper value is still 180 ml.

Drain the old oil. Add 180 ml of new oil. What is so hard about that?

Quote:
New Rules say 180 ml....might just be a way for BMW of making servicing the FD easier...by filling through drain hole after you drain it.
How can it make servicing easier when the drain hole was moved to the bottom of the FD two years ago.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #59
spikesgs
Bliksem

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikesgs
i opened my drain plug and drained until it stopped and exactly 40 ml came out and i filled with 220ml 500 miles ago = 180ml left in there....good to go

Old 06-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #60
huggybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Wallowa
I have had My 05 Gs since July 04 and have had the final drive oil changed at least 5 times,and have asked on this site several times what the oil level is in relation to the 9 o'clock drain , and never got a answer other than .25 liter to Me it is good to no that both tires on the floor the fill till it runs out is 220ML and on the center stand is 180ML,at least that way the amount is close to being correct and after Your all buttoned up You don't start thinking ! now did I put the correct amount in there