ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
M80 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
BlueRidge WMA

I've had my GSA for about 2 weeks now. I flew to Denver and road it home to Roswell GA. What a great trip. Well, except for two days of God awful crosswind.
Today I decided to head up to North Ga. Only about an hour away from me. I wanted to finally get in the dirt and do some service road running. I had a spot in mind but it started to sprinkle and I thought I could dodge it by just exploring in another direction. You always end up finding the best stuff that way.
I headed to the Nimblewill church near Bull Mountain. A place where I have Mountain Biked since the Nineties. (That's my main past time. 3, 4 days a week). So I know the area fairly well. At the church I turned left instead of right and follow the pavement to a big Forestry Sign. BlueRidge WMA. It look like a back entrance that was kind of a locals only spot. I hit the gravel and fiddle around with my suspension for a bit then took off. It was a pretty rough road for a FS road. That made it fun. I had to turn around after some time. I was sort of on a time table. I plan on going back but, I would like to see it on a map somewhere. Google maps doesn't seem to pick up that road. Is there a better place to get FS and Wildlife management area maps online?

Thanks
M80
M80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,815
Let's try this in the Regional forum for your location in case someone has any ideas on where to get those maps, also check out the GPS forum here too. Oh and congrats on the new bike!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
Mike Honcho
Got Beaver?

Oddometer: 2,363
Welcome a board M80! I am not far from were you are talking about. I have never heard of this WMA but will be headed out in the next hour to check it out. I was looking for a web link for the maps you are looking for and I think might have found some.

Here is the Blue idge WMA:
http://www.georgiaoutdoors.com/hunti...ueRidgeWMA.pdf

and I beleive this is the listing for allGA WMA:
http://www.georgiaoutdoors.com/hunting/WMAmaps.asp

If the rain holds out I wil try and snap a few pictures. :)
Old 05-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
I have the pdf you're looking for on my work computer. PM me and I'll email it to you tomorrow. Maybe I can figure out how to post it here.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
Mike Honcho
Got Beaver?

Oddometer: 2,363
I managed to make the trip out to this area today and was it a blast! I was not expecting to find what I did. I grabbed a few pictures but nothing that truly shows how great this "road" is. At one point I thought there was no way possible a truck could be back in this area...... 5 mins later someone with a jeep manged to make it up one of the trails. I made it out of the woods about 3pm and started to head to the house. Then the skies opened up.....Thanks for the post!

Headed up I spotted a small water fall. Time for a quick break and a few pics...

Got to the top and spotted this...

Coming down the back side a quick snack break and few more pics...

And out of no where I ran across this church!!! It was tucked back off the road by 10 or so miles! No electricity and no "modern" bathrooms!