User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
drtbkmic OP
A Real Gem

Oddometer: 117
Question Is it worth it?: Honda Pacific Coast

Guy a few houses down has a Honda Pacific Coast for sale - actually he hasn't put the sign on it yet. I believe he said it was a '96. It's red with 7,XXX miles on it. He wants $3500 for it. It looks to be in "like new" condition. Some regular use marks and such. I know he doesn't ride it much and stores it in his garage.

Worth it? Thoughts...
drtbkmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Dr. Horrible
easy to make

Oddometer: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbkmic
Guy a few houses down has a Honda Pacific Coast for sale - actually he hasn't put the sign on it yet. I believe he said it was a '96. It's red with 7,XXX miles on it. He wants $3500 for it. It looks to be in "like new" condition. Some regular use marks and such. I know he doesn't ride it much and stores it in his garage.

Worth it? Thoughts...
$3500 seems like a lot for a glorified scooter. The same money buys you a real bike, if you look around.
Dr. Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,333
I haven't kept up with the prices on them in a couple years, but $3500 doesn't sound completely outrageous for such low miles and good condition, though maybe a tad on the high side.

The PC800 is much more than a glorified scooter. Peel away the body and there is a pretty standard motorcycle with a nice Vtwin underneath. It has a very devoted "cult" following.

They ride well, run well, and are extremely useful as an every day bike. Possibly the most practical motorcycle ever offered. They are also very reliable and difficult to break. Many of them have seen 80-100k miles with nothing more than regular maintenance.

Yes, I did own one for awhile even though it's not the type of bike that normally appeals to me. Never had a problem with it and loved the storage in it's "trunk", but it never did excite me enough to keep it around. The down side for me is that I find them somewhat boring (no soul) and I hated having to remove all that damned bodywork in order to do any work on it. The bodywork also rattled quite a bit and made it sound like a well used civic when you encountered any irregularities in the road surface. Mileage was in the 2x,xxx range when I had it. The guy I sold it to had owned one previously and was returning to the PC800 after a couple years on something else.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,363
All of Vermin's threads here are a testament to what can be done (and ignored) on a PC800. If you haven't read them, by all means go up to Ride Reports and do so.

But you have to be really comfortable being seen on a PC800...and admittedly, i'm not. ha ha
Old 05-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #5
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Horrible
$3500 seems like a lot for a glorified scooter. The same money buys you a real bike, if you look around.
Go ride one and watch your opinions change. There's a motorcycle under all that weird plastic.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
rwven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
$3500 is a steal for a 96 with 7K assuming it's in good condition. I had a PC800 for several years and it's a fantastic motorcycle. I'd probably still have it if it fit my 6'2" frame better. If you don't like it you can probably sell it on E-Bay at a tidy profit.

I sold my 89 for $3600 a year ago. It had 55K miles on it.
rwven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,853
Quote:

Worth it? Thoughts...
Personal opinion JUMP ON IT!
The PC was one decent relatively maintenance free bikes, with shaft drive and hydraulic valve adjusters. If I had the money and opportunity I'd be on it like stink on shit!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1
All of Vermin's threads here are a testament to what can be done (and ignored) on a PC800. If you haven't read them, by all means go up to Ride Reports and do so.

But you have to be really comfortable being seen on a PC800...and admittedly, i'm not. ha ha
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=vermin

Tork
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #9
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Horrible
Don't pay attention to this !

He obviously has never ridden or checked one out.

I rode a demonstrator we had at the dealership where I worked. Excellent brakes, decent V-Twin engine, low maintenance, huge trunk, killer ground clearance allowing sport touring type riding, the only negative for some was the lack of a decent backrest and mounting a trunk hindered the access to the storage area.

Other than the massive amount of plastic that could have used better less fragile mount tabs, the Pacific Coast was one of the most sensible great all around motorcycles built. It was the yayhoo goofs who had no clue that tagged it with the "scooter" label. But even with that label it is more a compliment. Anyone who is a real enthusiast KNOWS scooters are great too. I have personal knowledge that a former mechanic for a number one rider riding a well known brand that doesn't make scooters, happens to ride a SCOOTER and loves it! He didn't have to pull off the parade route to let his bike cool as some of his former riders did.

I hope I read that you bought the PC. It is as real a motorcycle as you will ever find. Not some Profiling Special as many of those American Alphabet bikes are. It will kick ass on most any Sportster in any arena, except getting you laid by some vapid blonde or the like. If that's what you want, go find a cheap Sportster. If you want a great bike, buy the PC.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,363
I have yet to see one wheelie, but I'm sure it's possible. Someone needs to post a pic.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
I had a '90 PC800 when I met my wife. We toured all over the midwest on the thing. To this day it remains the easiest to ride motorcycle I have ever owned. I could do one-handed U-turns on 2 lane roads with that thing, yet still keep up with corvettes.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
ACDNate
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
I've been watching those around just as a cheaper option to the Goldwing. I've seen 1996 models go as high as $5000+ with more mileage. Jump on it if you like it.
2007 Honda CRF150R
2005 Honda CRF100F
ACDNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
drtbkmic OP
A Real Gem

Oddometer: 117
WOOT! That's the kind of comments I was looking for...and one that I expected.

I would almost exclusively be riding it back and forth to work. I just love to ride and have no need for "style". Beyond that, I can't wait to leave my Harley friend in the dust through the twisties - on my glorified scooter, no less.

I've been riding my whole life an haven't been able to afford what I would consider a good commuter for a few years. You all confirmed my thinking that this is a good way to go. Should I be able to get the cash together I'll post some picks soon.

Thanks again.
drtbkmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
rwven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
WOOT! That's the kind of comments I was looking for...and one that I expected.

I would almost exclusively be riding it back and forth to work. I just love to ride and have no need for "style". Beyond that, I can't wait to leave my Harley friend in the dust through the twisties - on my glorified scooter, no less.

I've been riding my whole life an haven't been able to afford what I would consider a good commuter for a few years. You all confirmed my thinking that this is a good way to go. Should I be able to get the cash together I'll post some picks soon.

Thanks again.
And when you buy it join this group here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ipcrc/
you won't just be using it for commuting for long. I rode with this group when I owned my PC800 and I still ride with them several times a year on my Buell. I joined for the bike but stayed for the people...
rwven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,030
That does seem like a very good price. I have heard of some very impressive odometer readings on those bikes. Very reliable too. Pain in the butt for routine maintenance with all the plastic, but not much maintenance required.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote