User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
spawnx66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Bleeding ABS On ST1300

I had the dealer do a complete bleed and replacement of the brake fluid. I’m still not happy with the performance of the rear brake. Using the rear brake alone, it is rather spongy with limited power and a fair amount of pedal movement. With the front brake engaged, the rear pedal feels firm. However, if you release the front brake, you can feel the pressure drop on the rear pedal. Something is amiss with the linked system. The bleed procedure is complicated. The dealer claimed that some dip in the rear pedal is “normal”. A search of the online forums doesn’t give any specific answers, just lots of griping about the bleed procedure, dragging brakes, etc. Front brakes remain excellent in terms of feel and power.

It’s not clear to me after reading the bleed procedure if I can simply try to bleed the pedal circuit that controls the rear pistons independent of all the other circuits, proportion valve, and other complicated shit Honda elected to stick on this bike. Any thoughts?
spawnx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
spawnx66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone?
Old 05-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
innominate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
here's a tech article about brake bleeding on st-owners http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53678

i didn't read thru it but maybe the info u need is there
The content of this post is for entertainment purposes only and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the poster. Furthermore, claims made by the poster are deemed to be fictitious for the purpose of entertainment. All rights reserved.
innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,268
Rear pedal dip is only normal if the secondary master cylinder circuit has air in it. To properly bleed the SMC circuit you have to remove the left front caliper and tilt the rear of the SMC at least 15 degrees up from horizontal. This is a long circuit with the delay valve and/or proportioning valve in it and you have to make sure to flush 1.5 to 2 complete rear master cylinder reservoirs through the SMC to get all the air out of it. It's my understanding one must follow the proper sequence of bleeders and can't bleed that one out of sequence. You should have a hard pedal especially after paying a dealer to flush the entire system.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,663
I don't see why anyone would want linked brakes....

not much help but at least I bumped your thread!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
spawnx66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the bump!

Here's an update, I bled the rear caliper yesterday. No obvious air bubbles, fluid looked good. It didn’t seem to make much difference.

I might bleed the proportioning valve but here's a dumb question do I need a vacuum bleeder. The only reason I believe I need vacuum bleeder to properly bleed the proportioning valve because I have no way of easily “pumping” the system; e.g. a pedal or lever? Any thoughts?
Old 05-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

You don't need a vacuum pump to bleed the proportioning valve because it is on the right side of the bike close enough to the brake pedal to pump the pedal while opening and closing the bleeder on the valve. However you need a vacuum pump or a helper to do the left front caliper because no one has arms long enough to do both at the same time. If you do not use the right sequence of bleeding and removing and tilting the LF caliper you are really just wasting your time though. The fluid in this circuit travels from the rear reservoir, the delay valve, the secondary master cylinder to the proportioning valve. If you aren't paying attention, the tilt down of the SMC means you will never purge it in place. But don't despair it is only two bolts that hold the LF caliper in place and a piece of string or a bungee cord will hold it tilted up enough to purge it.

Dave
Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
OTRA
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnx66 View Post
Anyone?

Google just took me to this old thread. Wondering how you ended up fixing your rear brake issue. I had exactly the same symptoms with mine. There have been many SMC failures around, but I have found very few people (1!) with the the one you had. Honda was not help on that for sure.
OTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA View Post
Google just took me to this old thread. Wondering how you ended up fixing your rear brake issue. I had exactly the same symptoms with mine. There have been many SMC failures around, but I have found very few people (1!) with the the one you had. Honda was not help on that for sure.
I told him how to fix his problem. It isn't a failure of the SMC nor the linked brake system, it is a failure to follow instructions when servicing the brakes.

Dave
Old 09-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #10
OTRA
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
I told him how to fix his problem. It isn't a failure of the SMC nor the linked brake system, it is a failure to follow instructions when servicing the brakes.
Did he confirm that the problem went away?

OTRA is offline   Reply With Quote