User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
trailrider71us OP
I can't b fired,only sold

Oddometer: 115
Corbin seat for an R80G/S-Opinions

What are your thoughts on the Corbin seat for an R80G/S?
My seat is kinda in tough shape including the pan,looking for something to replace it
for dual sport riding.The wife also rides with me sometimes.
http://www.corbin.com/bmw/8186gsst.shtml
Thanks-Sean
86 BMW R80G/S
Rokon 2X2
trailrider71us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 584
I like mine a lot. But some people don't so it may be worth trying one first. I can't comment on riding two up as the g/s and st are too small for me to add another passenger.

Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,385
I've had two different corbins for R100GSs over the years, both second hand. The first was a hand me down from a friend who bought something better. It was hard as a rock and weighed a metric shit done and without a doubt was the most uncomfortable saddle I've ever tried. I rode on it for less than half an hour before I'd had enough. I just bought a GSPD that came with a corbin two-up saddle and I actually like it quite a bit. It's still VERY heavy, but the foam is firm enough without being overly hard. The shape isn't quite right for my particular hind end, but I still prefer it to the stock GS saddle. Unfortunately I have no idea of the age of either of the corbins I've tried and production has changed over the years. I couldn't tell if what they're making now is any better or worse.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
I was never crazy about them. For the price, I go to a local seat guy and have one made that fits me. Rich's in the Seattle area is around 400. More if you want leather, etc. Here's a couple of links if you want to poke around. Good luck

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

http://www.richscustomseats.com/

I did a little research earlier was going to go the mayer rout, but the seats are a little taller so keep that in mind.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,999
The Corbin that came on my r80st was a joke. Heavy, poorly made out of materials that were not at all suited to life as motorcycle seat leather.
Customer service at corbin is legendary in how poor it is and the owner of Corbin seats was involved in a company that defrauded its investors, that company was merlin motors.

Corbin seats lock you into one position on the bike. The foam is super dense and I weigh a lot but I don't have a lot of extra padding and my rear was on fire after about two hours in the saddle.
My seat leather tore from uv exposure which allowed water to soak the foam.

squish screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 11:10 AM
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 584
I wonder how the seats changed (i.e. fabrication/foams) over time. Mine weights no more than the stock seat.. may a pound.. but nothing significant. I suggest you try the one that you are thinking of buying first given the variation in reviews.
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Saw this in venders. It's foam and a cover you put on your pan. Black Friday sale too. Might be something to look into.

http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/~...53&id=13947498

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843031

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #8
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,579
when I was in the market for a new seat... came to conclusion, too many bad feedback to be worth taking a risk on that much $$$.

ended up with a used Russell day long solo seat for R80G/S. huge improvement over PD solo seat.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Spinner View Post
I wonder how the seats changed (i.e. fabrication/foams) over time. Mine weights no more than the stock seat.. may a pound.. but nothing significant. I suggest you try the one that you are thinking of buying first given the variation in reviews.
I got my R80ST with the corbin in 1994,
I've been around Corbin seats on a wide variety of bikes since then and here's my observations.

To be able to keep a catalog of so many models Corbin uses seat base molds and fiberglass chopper gun style layups
The produces a heavy base that has a wide range of variation for fit, (I could never get my Corbin to fit right)
In the 90's till at least the late 00's Corbin used a basket weave vinyl, that looks and felt like it was reproduction Volkswagen style seat "leather"
they of course also offered up different choices of vinyl or even real hide for seat covers, but their base vinyl was this basket weave.

This vinyl was not outdoor UV stable stuff, cracking and splitting if the seats were left outside for any length of time.
The foam they use is thick and heavy with the seats needing a long break in (or your ass one or the other)

My Corbin vs the stock seat was more then two times the weight, in 2006 when working on a custom VTX I found the seat to be the same style of construction and the same increase of weight, that seat had a custom leather hide provided to Corbin so that wasn't part of it, but I'm sure it did add slightly to the weight.

In 94 there wasn't a whole lot of options for seats for most bikes, today there are tons.
I know a lot of people who swear by their Corbin seats and I know a lot of folks who swear at them.

Personally I'd never buy another, new or used.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #10
trailrider71us OP
I can't b fired,only sold

Oddometer: 115
Thanks

Thanks for the input,I guess maybe I'll try one of the Siebenrocks.My seat pan is kinda rough
and I would get a new pan with one of those.
Sean
86 BMW R80G/S
Rokon 2X2
trailrider71us is offline   Reply With Quote