Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2009, 04:51 AM   #1
svowles OP
Simon

Oddometer: 26
Reduced Engine Vibes - 800GS

Thought this might be interesting....

My 800GS, while not bad enough to make a fuss, did produce noticeable engive vibration starting at around 4500rpm through to 6000rpm. For some reason it was most noticeable in 3rd gear and could be felt mainly through the left hand foot peg and seat.

In preparation for a road trip, I've just fitted some Givi engine bars and noticed that all vibes have, almost, completely dissapeared.

On the first ride I took with them fitted, it felt like the engine was running smoother from the off, but it only dawned on me some time later that the bars must be adding sufficient extra bracing between the engine block the frame to dampen out some of the resonance.

Needless to say I'm looking forward to my trip up to the Isle of Man TT even more now :)
svowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:13 AM   #2
haildamage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
interesting, i find that my 800GS is almost too smooth!
haildamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by svowles
Thought this might be interesting....

My 800GS, while not bad enough to make a fuss, did produce noticeable engive vibration starting at around 4500rpm through to 6000rpm. For some reason it was most noticeable in 3rd gear and could be felt mainly through the left hand foot peg and seat.

In preparation for a road trip, I've just fitted some Givi engine bars and noticed that all vibes have, almost, completely dissapeared.

On the first ride I took with them fitted, it felt like the engine was running smoother from the off, but it only dawned on me some time later that the bars must be adding sufficient extra bracing between the engine block the frame to dampen out some of the resonance.

Needless to say I'm looking forward to my trip up to the Isle of Man TT even more now :)
I wonder if the engine mounts weren't torqued properly and when you mounted the bars and retorqued the mounts....
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
svowles OP
Simon

Oddometer: 26
I have to admit that I did re-torque any of the existing engine mounts. The bars fit insuch a way that this isn't necessary, though after reading your reply it might be a good idea to check.
svowles is offline   Reply With Quote