Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2009, 05:32 AM   #1
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Touring Nova Scotia - Must see Places, Things to Do, Best food spots, etc.

Hi There. My friend and I are planning an 9 day road trip around Nova Scotia in July.

Our plan is to take the Cat Ferry from Maine to Yarmouth. Ride around and see Nova Scotia for 8 days and then circle back to Yarmouth to take the Cat Ferry on our way back home. We'll both be on sport bikes. We're planning to camp most of the way. And we're definitely going to see the Cabot Trail. Besides that, our itinerary is wide open to suggestions.

I went to the NS website to order their free tour books, but I heard they're on back order....I called to ask about the delay with the motorcycle tour book I ordered a couple months go. Hopefully they can mail it out to me soon.

As the title states, we're looking for must see places, things to do, great places to eat, helpful hints/tips, places to AVOID if any, where to find the great roads, and anything else you recommend during a proper Nova Scotia tour.

Thanks!!!

[EDIT] - regarding types of roads we're looking to ride, the twistier the better. We want to limit highway type roads. We are willing to venture off the main roads to the smaller back road twisties to hit up some nice food spots, or must see/do places.

eSONG screwed with this post 06-01-2009 at 12:52 PM
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,204
The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax is a great place to visit.

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mma/index.html

Then there's a museum in Lunenberg:

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/fma/

These spots are easy to hit on a loop through Nova Scotia.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
TSPKTM
Ride 'em Cowboy

Oddometer: 34
Two of us are leaving Augusta, Georgia on July 1st with the same thing in mind. Would sure appreciate the latest scoop on roads, destinations, camping, entertainment, pubs and/or anything else y'all could suggest. We will be on a FJR and a Kawasaki Nomad. My buddy is taking this trip to celebrate his 50th birthday.
TSPKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax is a great place to visit.

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mma/index.html

Then there's a museum in Lunenberg:

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/fma/

These spots are easy to hit on a loop through Nova Scotia.
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSPKTM
Two of us are leaving Augusta, Georgia on July 1st with the same thing in mind. Would sure appreciate the latest scoop on roads, destinations, camping, entertainment, pubs and/or anything else y'all could suggest. We will be on a FJR and a Kawasaki Nomad. My buddy is taking this trip to celebrate his 50th birthday.
awesome! maybe we'll cross paths!
Old 05-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
thecdn
n00b

Oddometer: 9
You guys are making me jealous. I grew up in the Halifax area but have only been back once in the last 20 years, with wife and kids but no bike

Unless things have changed a great deal Halifax has some great pubs and drinking establishments. The waterfront area, where the Bluenose II is docked, is good to see. As is Citadel Hill.

Are you going to stick to the smaller, twisty roads near the coast or take the major highways? Annapolis Valley is very pretty and has some nice historical sites.

In Cape Breton, other than the obvious Cabot Trail - I drove that on my honeymoon in a rented car but never on a bike - there is Fortress Louisberg in the north east corner, and in the center there is Baddeck, with the Alexander Graham Bell museum.

Have a lot of fun.
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,204
I've ridden through Baddeck and also south of the lake Bras d' Or. It's fascinating that these lakes are open to the ocean, just like a few in Scotland. I want to spend more time looking around the area. It's great you have a little time to wander around there, eSONG.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:52 AM   #7
RideOn2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
I spent a week with friends in Chester, cool little town, almost due North there is a great place to watch the tide drop and leave the fishing boats sitting on the bottom. We made a day of it, 12hr cycle. Ate lobster, and watched a great show of nature.

Also, went to Lunenburg. sign up for a sail boat tour on one of the big old wooden sloops. I bought a handmade wool sweeater with silver Bluenose buttons. Keeps me warm and is a good memory of a great trip.

BTW, Bar Harbor is a great place to visit also, regreat not having a day or two to spend there.
RideOn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:56 AM   #8
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
The road on the extreme N of the province that connects Antigonish with Pictou. Not that many cars, but nice ride. Both towns are nice..if you are into B&Bs stay at the former US embassy in Pictou

I would recommend some dirt, but being on streetbikes, and the marbles they call rocks up there....it's not worth talking about
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:27 AM   #9
2touringtheworld
World shrinkers

Oddometer: 1,228
We've been to Nova Scotia a few times and love it each time. We've done a couple of ride reports with pics so here are a couple of links to them.

The first is to an 2006 ride report and is just a list of places to go and stay and some things to do.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=32

If you want to see the whole ride report, go to http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127916

Sorry about the pics not being there, we posted before the server upgrade and the pics didn't transfer. At some point, we'll repost them.

This next link is from our ride report from NH through Quebec, Labrador, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. The link will take you directly to the Nova Scotia portion.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=240316&page=6

We hope some of this is helpful. Have fun!!!

Mike and Kim

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 05-27-2009 at 04:32 AM
2touringtheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecdn
Are you going to stick to the smaller, twisty roads near the coast or take the major highways? Annapolis Valley is very pretty and has some nice historical sites.

In Cape Breton, other than the obvious Cabot Trail - I drove that on my honeymoon in a rented car but never on a bike - there is Fortress Louisberg in the north east corner, and in the center there is Baddeck, with the Alexander Graham Bell museum.

Have a lot of fun.
Thanks for the suggestions! We're planning to stick to mostly twisties. Are most of the good twisties along the coast? Are there any good ones inland? Are there any specific roads you'd recommend?

Regarding the Cabot Trail, I once heard that going one direction was better than the other, but I don't recall.. I assume there's a good reason for this. Any opinions on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
I've ridden through Baddeck and also south of the lake Bras d' Or. It's fascinating that these lakes are open to the ocean, just like a few in Scotland. I want to spend more time looking around the area. It's great you have a little time to wander around there, eSONG.
sounds really cool..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedLoyalist
The road on the extreme N of the province that connects Antigonish with Pictou. Not that many cars, but nice ride. Both towns are nice..if you are into B&Bs stay at the former US embassy in Pictou

I would recommend some dirt, but being on streetbikes, and the marbles they call rocks up there....it's not worth talking about
Nice... the twistier the better... if there any more suggestions on great twisty roads, please keep them coming!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2touringtheworld
We've been to Nova Scotia a few times and love it each time. We've done a couple of ride reports with pics so here are a couple of links to them.

The first is to an 2006 ride report and is just a list of places to go and stay and some things to do.

If you want to see the whole ride report, go to http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127916

Sorry about the pics not being there, we posted before the server upgrade and the pics didn't transfer. At some point, we'll repost them.

This next link is from our ride report from NH through Quebec, Labrador, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. The link will take you directly to the Nova Scotia portion.

We hope some of this is helpful. Have fun!!!

Mike and Kim

Awesome!!! Thanks for the links!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

i want to try some NS lobster rolls.... yumm..

Old 05-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I found some Top 10 lists on this site:

http://www.ambassatours.com/INDEX/MediaRoom/10ThingstodoinNovaScotia/tabid/970/Default.aspx

10 Things to do in Nova Scotia

1. Fisherman's lobster traps stacked on the wharves in Peggy's Cove

2. The town of Digby & Annapolis Royal on the Bay of Fundy, Evangeline Trail

3. Alexander Graham Bell Museum in the town of Baddeck on Cape Breton Island

4. Moose in the wilderness on the Cape Breton Cabot Trail

5. Pewter and quilt shops in Mahone Bay on the South Shore

6. The Anne Murray Centre in Springhill, Nova Scotia

7. Fisherman's Cove in Eastern Passage, Nova Scotia

8. Miner's Museum, Glace Bay, Cape Breton Island

9. Kejimkujik National Park, Maitland Bridge, Nova Scotia

10. Old town Lunenburg UNESCO World Heritage Site & home of Bluenose II

I wonder if we can squeeze in PEI in a day or two.

10 Things to do in Prince Edward Island

1. Greenwich, Prince Edward Island National Park Parks Canada protects a rare system of parabolic sand dunes and sites of early Aboriginal and Acadian occupation dating back 10,000 years. Enjoy the interpretive trails, view the spectacular sand dunes, relax at the beach and learn at the Interpretation Centre.

2. Confederation Trail From Tignish in the west to Elmira in the east, the Confederation Trail is a tip- to- tip recreational path offering over 270 kilometers of excellent surface, ideal for walking, running or cycling.

3. College of Piping and Celtic Performing Arts of Canada, Summerside 100% Authentic-Heartfelt Celtic! A summer long Celtic Festival set amongst an institution, that inspires "excellence in Celtic performing arts through quality educational programming."

4. Rossignol Estate Winery (Little Sands) Who would have thought — a winery on P.E.I. Rossignol offers a remarkable variety of premium fruit and table wines. Sample the wines and view a wonderful selection of folk art and Island paintings and crafts.

5. Prince Edward Island Preserve Company (New Glasgow) Great Food and Great Fun! See, smell and taste Canada's finest preserves, experience the Café Clyde featuring country breakfast, peruse the gift shop and meet the kilted owner.

6. North Cape Home to a host of attractions. View the longest natural rock reef, walk the Black Marsh Nature Trail, visit the Atlantic Wind Test Site and see the North Cape Wind farm.

7. Old Charlottetown As the Birthplace of Canadian Confederation, PEI's capital city features many historic public buildings and family homes. Stroll the many streets and visit Province House - where the "Fathers" met, Confederation Centre of the Arts - the home of Anne of Green Gables -The Musical. and Founders Hall-Canada's Birthplace Pavilion.

8. Gateway Village (Borden-Carleton) The village is located at the foot of the Confederation Bridge. You will be introduced to the history and culture of the Island and learn of the transportation modes across the Northumberland Strait. The village features a variety of food services in addition to handcraft and gift outlets. Gateway is the home of Cavendish Figurines, North America’ s only figurine economuseum.

9. Orwell Corner Historic Village (Orwell) Experience the life and times of rural crossroads community in the 1890's. Stroll amongst the blacksmith shop, country store, church, school, farm buildings and community hall. Ceilidhs are offered at the Corner with traditional music, stories and dance.

10. Lennox Island Mi'kmaq Cultural Centre The centre is a community museum that aims to promote and revitalize Mi'kmaq culture on PEI and interpret Mi'kmaq history. While on the Island, hike the 10km “Path of our Forefathers”, enjoy traditional foods or go deep sea fishing.

Thought I'd add the New Brunswick list here too in case others are interested for their Nova Scotia trips. Unfortunately, we won't have the time to explore it adequately.

10 Ways to Experience New Brunswick

1. Tour Miles of the Maritimes’ Most Spectacular Rivers

2. Cruise Between the Towering Cliffs of Grand Falls Gorge!

3. Uncover the Eco-Treasures of our Discovery Beaches and Some of the Continent’ s Most Distinctive Dunes!

4. Three Unique Coastlines and Countless Ways to Explore!

5. Find New Inspiration Touring Some of Earth’ s Oldest Mountains

6. Fresh boiled lobster, melt in your mouth smoked salmon and seafood served in the creamiest chowders, the best local stews!

7. The Audubon Has Spotted New Brunswick as one of the Best Bird-watching Destinations in Eastern Canada!

8. See More Kinds of Whales More Often Than Anywhere Else!

9. Warm Saltwater and Sandy Seclusion...on Over 40 Swimming Beaches!

10. Tour Miles of Coastline...One Lighthouse at a Time.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
Will be keeping my eye on this thread. NS in Sept from VA
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #14
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Awesome info!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2touringtheworld
A couple of folks have asked for some places to go and things to see. So here's our list, not in order. We kinda travel on our stomachs so you will see alot of our suggestions surround food and lodging.

Hope this is helpful!

Here are a few for you to consider:
  1. Cabot trail - at the top of Cape Breton - an easy loop but fantastic views. If you want to stay on the Northern part of the trail, try the Markland Resort. A bit hoidy/toidy for us and somewhat expensive for Canada. If you want to stay near the eastern end of the trail, try Mid Trail Resort in Pleasant Bay. It's a bright pink building and is pretty scary looking, but the rooms are good and there is a restaurant on site. While in Pleasant Bay, eat at the Rusty Anchor if you like crab or lobster. A lobster roll consists of chunks of lobster meat on a roll covered in butter. My wife says its terrific. Check out this link for info: http://novascotia.com/en/home/planat...l/default.aspx
  2. Brier Island - on the south west corner of the pennisula. You take 2 cable ferry's to get there. Great isolated walking trails right on the ocean. Stay at Briar Island Lodge. Good food, nice people. See http://www.brierisland.com/bilodge06.html
  3. Zodiac Whale watch - Forget the big fishing boats, go in a Zodiac. Metal hulled but rubber sides they are faster and quieter. Close enough to whales to smell their bad breath.
  4. Louisberg - If you are into history, an actual french/british fort with people acting in role. You can speak to french soldiers and british prisoners. Working bakery on site making bread the old way with groundstone etc. Bread is awesome and weights about 4 pounds a loaf. Take the narrated walking tour.
  5. Lunenberg - A beautiful town, sort of an Artist enclave. Downtown is beatiful with art shops and great restaurants.
  6. Baddeck - on the banks of the Bras d'Or lakes. The riding around the lake is spectacular. Cheap lodging at the Cabot Trail Lodge - restaurant is not so good so go in town for eats. Baddeck is also home to the Alexander Graham Bell museum if you are into that kind of stuff. http://novascotia.com/en/home/planat...e/default.aspx
  7. Mohone Bay - An Artist enclave. Good roads around the whole town.
  8. Truro - home of the tidal bore. Twice a day (I think) the bore comes in. Its a small wave that fills the tidal basin in about 20 minutes. It's not that spectacular but it is cool to see all the mudflats and 20 minutes later, water 20 feet deep. It's part of the Bay of Fundy action where tides change over 40 feet in some locations. Stay at the Palliser hotel and eat in their restaurant. The rooms are pretty spartan, but they are cheap and this should only be a day stop anyway. http://www.palliserrestaurantmotelandgifts.ca/
    There's nothing to see in Truro other than the tidal bore, so head north one exit, go to the top of the ramp turn left and head towards the town of Lower Economy. You will get a good view of the basin and keep going all the way through the mountains with some small towns of 10 people. Lots of scenery and almost no cars.
  9. Charlos Cove - Stay at the SeaWind Landing. It's pricey for Canada, but you stay in a room right on the ocean, some with jacuzzi. Take their breakfast sailboat ride ride out to the sugar islands. You will see seals, bald eagles and lots of wildlife. Gourmet food for dinner. Web @ http://www.seawindlanding.com/ Bring US cash for a good discount.
    If you like twisty smooth roads - something that is rare in the atlantic provinces - take the road that connects Guysboro. Very fast sweepers if that is your cup of tea. Look out for deer and moose though. Oh, did I say the road was smooth?
  10. Yost Vineyard - A small vineyard - they give a short tour and have plenty of tastings. See http://www.jostwine.com/index2.html
  11. Peggy's Cove - Other than the beautiful scenery, there's not much to see. If you recall a few years ago a Swiss Air flight went down there just off shore. There is a memorial there, its a strange feeling but worth a peek.
Well that's it for now. The above are in no particular order. Just check them out. Order a Nova Scotia Doers and Dreamers guidebook free @ http://www.destination-ns.com/forms/guide.asp Its an awesome guide and will give you some hints and its free.

Have fun!

You took some AMAZING pics!!! WOW... I can't wait to see it for myself..

Old 05-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
2touringtheworld
World shrinkers

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG
Regarding the Cabot Trail, I once heard that going one direction was better than the other, but I don't recall.. I assume there's a good reason for this. Any opinions on this?

If you want to be on the ocean side when you go, do the Cabot counterclockwise. It will give you great views with but some significant dropoffs.

Some folks get a bit queezy about the dropoffs (especially when two up) so in this case they often do the loop clockwise. You get a somewhat lesser view but not so intimidating.
2touringtheworld is offline   Reply With Quote