Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
DandM OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Best Place To Live In Florida?

Ok Sandboxers,

Where is the best place to live in Fl, and why?

We moved from way way way up north to Sebring FL about 5 years ago; Because we were told it was the safest place in Florida during hurricane season. It probably is, but...

We're now considering moving to some other location in Florida.
We're both avid motorcyclists, 95% on road though.

Not yet retired, but soon to be free from the time clocks.
Then the final decision and the move will take place.

Suggestions please?
DandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Jack Daniel
See Ya At The Swamp

Oddometer: 11,993
Useppa

The Scrub The Swamp
Jack Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
NativeSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,756
i think you have to give us some more factors.
NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Scottysix9
Shhh...

Oddometer: 918
Not Florida.

If they can't hear you, they won't know you're there.
Scottysix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
SeaBass
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,023
South Beach.
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:48 AM   #6
sanpau
Love to Ride

Oddometer: 698
Florida is an interesting state there is a lot to do and see here but you have to seek it out.

You have the very southern-- Keys-- lots of water and bars and tourist and one main road in and out and very little variety when it comes to shopping and cultural events. I can spend a few days there but not without a boat. If I lived there I would have to own a helicopter to teleport back to reality once in awhile.

Then South Florida---West Palm, Broward and Dade counties.....Lots of multicultural stuff here and shopping......which means lots of crazy drivers on the road and many whom have no license and/or insurance. Lots of flat roads to slab on. Some packed gravel and sand towards the Everglades areas....I live here and moving from the midwest definite culture shock but have now been here 25 years so have adjusted but still find people very rude as most are transplants from other places and really don't care to get to know anyone. Many of my retired friends from here have moved to the Gainsville/Ocala area.
Then South West Florida--Marco Island, Naples, Bonita Springs.....A little more laid back than the South East Coast with still shopping and culture available but still quite a bit of traffic and lots of flat straight roads.
I tend to ride in the South Middle of the state alot US 27 and 19 and through the Everglades and Big Cypress......

I'll let the mid state people tell about that area..........more sand as you know.......
sanpau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:16 AM   #7
FL Pepper
OMGWTFFTW

Oddometer: 1,439
Best Place In Florida

In my opinion, you are already living in the best area. The central ridge of Highlands county is some of the prettiest land around.

There is also some nice looking small towns west of the greater mousetrap area.
Central Sandbox Tag-O-Rama Maps
FL Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:00 AM   #8
Jack Daniel
See Ya At The Swamp

Oddometer: 11,993
Check List:

On the water or close to easy access but not prone to flooding

As far as possible from the city with good country roads
Without being too far from essentials

Not overly taxed and easily insured due to safe environment

You want a house built on Spring Lake

In Hernando County

The Scrub The Swamp
Jack Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
NativeSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,756
personally, I think picking sebring because its the least hurricane prone is somewhat of a fallacy to begin with. we lost power on the family farm in gainesville for 2 months, and had several huge trees down because of wilma (or a different storm, I don't remember). One of the trees fell on house and severely damaged the roof. sebring might be less prone historically, but that doesn't mean they're not about to be whacked any day now.

We were without power during andrew for 12 hours and had no damage to the house. if the name andrew doesn't ring a bell, you haven't been in the state that long.

I think you need to go on a road trip. about a year ago, I did a lap around florida more or less tracing the outline of the state. I guarantee you, you'll stumble across a community and fall in love with it. for me it was Anna Maria Island. for you, it might be Pensacola, Amelia Island, Saint Augustine, Vero, Key Largo, etc... Or, maybe you ride down main street Monticello, FL and you find what it is you're looking for. I'd even check out thomasville, ga as long as you're in the neighborhood. People forget what a large state this is. picking one community over another because of a factor like hurricanes is silly.

my family had a lake home in Lake Placid, just down the road from you. Its gorgeous out there, but it does seem remote.

ps: stop and bowl a few games at the palms bowling alley for me, would you?
NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
rider1150gsadv
€ Fl Keys Fishing Guide €

Oddometer: 5,911
Laugh

I live in the Keys and a boat is a must. There is no culture other than drinking and fishing... If it wasn't for my career, I'd live in central Florida where there still is some sanity and lots of beauty around as well. I like the Keys for what I do and I get my kicks out of being on the water almost every day, but for sanity reasons I get out as much as I can..
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:18 AM   #11
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,873
I live on the Space Coast and it has a good bit to offer: relatively low number of serious hurricane strikes (but it only takes one big one); centrally located to most of the state; very good county services here in Brevard; a few good roads to ride locally; fishing & boating; warmer in winter than north of I-4 but no hotter in summer.

But.... after having been here for about 21 years, and having lived in Miami and Key West throughout the 80s, I see a lot of reasons to look towards the Panhandle up around Marianna, Chipley, Malone, that general area. I like that geography up there and it is a big step closer to all the other Southeastern states for even more varied riding opportunites. My friend growing up across the street from me in Macon GA eventually settled aorund Marianna teaching at a small college after he got his PhD from UGA and he hasn't left there since - he loves it. Small towns locally, but it's not that far to bigger cities like Tallahassee or Dothan, AL. I have also had friends from south FL days who eventually settled around Crestview or Navarre in the Panhandle - but they were originally from the upper Gulf Coast (Mobile area) so that kind fo makes sense for them.

And Pensacola ain't bad either. I lived in Mobile for a couple of years in the 80s between Miami and Key West assignments, and spent a whole summer in Pensacola while in a shipyard availablilty. I really like that area too. And it's convenient to a multi-state convergence like the eastern end of the Panhandle.

Just my thoughts on the question.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:53 AM   #12
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,444
Having live in Fort Lauderdale and now Orlando, I can say that for me Central Florida is far preferable. Frankly, I really hated South Florida. Every inch is developed, from the Everglades to the ocean, and it takes forever to get out of there. At least in Orlando you can still get out of the sprawl. Takes a long time, longer every year it seems, but you can do it. Hurricane safety? No such thing in Florida. You are gonna get whacked sooner or later.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
CPOPE
Not 2 old 2 ride

Oddometer: 154
Citrus County is really great, fishing, great riding. While not Deals Gap there are many, many twisties. Don't let people tell you Florida is straight and flat.
Less traffic for on road and off road rideing.

Charlie
www.hometownvalues.biz
CPOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
flan8tive
Flea Tibet!

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe
Hurricane safety? No such thing in Florida. You are gonna get whacked sooner and later.
Fixed.

Analogous to asking "Where is the best place in Manhattan not to get hit by a taxi?"

80 Z50R

flan8tive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #15
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by flan8tive
Fixed.

Analogous to asking "Where is the best place in Manhattan not to get hit by a taxi?"
Sorry but you've answered incorrectly!

Try Jacksonville Florida. Only hurricane ever to hit was Dora in 69 (I believe) and it was kind of a a back door shot. See Here for more. No other record of a direct hit thanks mainly to the fact that the gulf stream is 100 miles off shore and acts as a conveyor belt pushing the storms to the North. Usually up to the Carolinas. Jacksonville is actually THE safest city on the east coast from maine to key west if you want to avoid being hit by a hurricane.

And it's a hell of a nice place to live but I try not to tell too many people because we're getting crowded enough as it is.
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote