User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
lstzephyr OP
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,771
Xr650r tear down/regrease/paint/cleanup

This started out as a rebuild thread but has since morphed into an ongoing saga of life with my xr650r. It looks like this now.

It is known to wear dirt wheels too.

I'll leave the original post intact though.

So my bikes just a bit beat up and a bit dirty. I decided a tear down and general look see was in order. The main objectives are to check it over, loctite/torque everything I can get to and grease all the bearings I can get to. I do have a couple questions:

1. How do I get the lower head bearings off the stem? I'd like to clean them thoroughly and change the lower seal.

2 I've been getting a bit of a clunking at stoplights, only once or twice at a light, never moving or at speed. It sounds a lot like just kicking over the engine but the sound it makes when it clicks over. I'm thinking its detonation or maybe piston slap. I have been using low octane gas since it was at altitude, I've since used 93. I haven't run it enough to tell if thats it. Any thoughts?

Started out dirty

Cleaned it up a bit. Took the plastics off and cleaned it again.

Took the subframe off and cleaned it again.

Took the wheels off and cleaned it agian lol

I started painting stuff and got the steering clamps off. The bearings hardly have any grease but they look pretty good. The races are in pretty good shape, there are some slight grooves but they aren't big enough to feel them so they should be fine.

Primer is on, paint tomorrow, and taking the swingarm off, painting it, and checking the bearings. I'd like to paint the frame but I doubt I will be able to get the motor out by myself. Maybe I'll use the engine hoist and pull it off.

lstzephyr screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 11:41 PM
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:20 AM   #2
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,900
One silly question...
Why do this now when riding season is here?

Now hurry up and put some clothes on the _itch and ride her like a dirty whore
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:55 AM   #3
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,229
You say the "clunking" is coming from the motor? Sitting at a light you shouldn't get detonation. Under load with low octane gas sure, but no load at idle it's not likely. Next time it's assembled enough to start try holding a rag on the muffler as if you were trying to stop the exhaust. The bike will continue to run but the exhaust noise will be so low you'll be able to hear the engine quite clearly. If she's a knockin' or a clunkin' you'll hear it.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
KTM300EXC Plated & So cool
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr
2 I've been getting a bit of a clunking at stoplights, only once or twice at a light, never moving or at speed. It sounds a lot like just kicking over the engine but the sound it makes when it clicks over. I'm thinking its detonation or maybe piston slap. I have been using low octane gas since it was at altitude, I've since used 93. I haven't run it enough to tell if thats it. Any thoughts?
Is it "clunking" or 'clicking"? If its clicking, a friend (ThorRex) had this same issue and it turned out to be worn cam chain guides - as identified by XRider.
arrcrussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
bongodave
Subcomandante Bongo

Oddometer: 36,608
the XRR is like a beautiful woman. The more you take off, the better she looks!
Old 05-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
lstzephyr OP
Solo con rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
One silly question...
Why do this now when riding season is here?

Now hurry up and put some clothes on the _itch and ride her like a dirty whore
Ha, well it should only take a week or so, I'm not doing anything over the top just a little grease and clean. But the main reason is it was covered in snow all winter at my apartment, where as here i have a place to work and time on my hands. I'm taking a class online, so this is therapy/relaxation.

Its not a rpm sensitive click...just once or twice. If I rev it, it goes away. Its not a rod knock, or a deep solid thunk from something massive, its alot like just kicking the motor through. Wierd. I was thinking loose motor mount. When I adjust the valves, I'll pull it down a bit and check the cam chain guides. I don't think this bike had a lot of miles on it, but its looks like it got a lot of abuse then left to sit outside. I raced it in colorado, so I'm sure that didn't do it any favors.

Edit: it may have just been stalling. I never adjusted the idle when I came to Alabama(.5k ft) from tucson(1.8k ft). It never did it in Co at 8k ft. It has been a bit hard to start. I'm still torquing all the motor mounts anyway and checking the chain guide.

lstzephyr screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 12:36 PM
Old 05-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 462
see

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462375

thread with the "clicking" issue
arrcrussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
XRider
Almost Lifelike

It probably is worn cam chain guides. You can't realy tell by looking at them if they are worn out or not but they don't cost that much ether.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
lstzephyr OP
Solo con rambo

Yeah thats probably it. Its this far apart so it won't be much more work to get to them. I don't think I'm going to take the motor out of the frame, its not scratched and looks pretty nice after I cleaned it the fourth time.

I'm going to rewind the stator, set up a dc regulator, install an hid kit, add plate lights, and maybe turn signals to make it look all legal-ish.

Front suspension is almost done. Pics after it goes back on. I talked to the dealer, they said there is no way to get the lower head bearing off without trashing it. So I'm going to slather a bunch of grease on it and see how it goes.

lstzephyr screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 03:45 PM
Old 05-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
lstzephyr OP
Solo con rambo

Ran out of beer so progress halted for a bit, but the beer has been restocked and work has resumed.

I've mostly just been painting/cleaning stuff. 90% of it is ready to go back together.

The swingarm bolt was a royal pain in the ass to get off, took cranking the compressor up, the impact, some pb blaster, and a lot of patience but it came off.

Swingarm went into the parts washer to remove tons of caked on crap.

And the cutoff wheel made quick work of whipping up some swingarm tools. thanks xr650r.us!

I hope to get finished painting it and get it ready for assembly tomorrow. I ordered a new countershaft seal, clutch bushing, rear cam guide and some other stuff. Hopefully that fixes all my little issues.

The swingarm bearings were nasty and notchy. Hopefully I can clean them up and save them. I wish somebody had torn this bike down and done this years ago. But they didn't and its the only reason I could afford the bike. Should be pretty nice when its done, and I can stop worrying if it will make it to the end of the ride without spitting something important off (like me!)
Old 05-31-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
nice!
you should post up on SMJ some more

did you ever clean up that header pipe?
spaceman_spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
XRider
Almost Lifelike

I can't tell if you removed it from the pictures but don't forget the strainer at the bottom of the frame oil tank. It's looking very sharp, hard to believe when you have it down to just a motor and frame that it builds back up to 300 pounds.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:42 PM   #13
lstzephyr OP
Solo con rambo

I haven't checked the strainer. I'll make sure to clean it before it goes back together.

The swingarm bearings were perma-fucked so those are going to need to be replaced. They were melted into one solid block. I ordered some new bearings, and some bolts that were broken/stripped. It was nice to get all the jacked up old bolts out that have been annoying me.

It looks like this now. I've never liked silver frames and I think black frames look better. It may be too black, however it will definetly look menacing.

Primer

First couple coats

lstzephyr screwed with this post 05-31-2009 at 03:52 PM
Old 05-31-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
nice!
in reality how much more work would it of been to take out the engine?
spaceman_spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #15
texsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
by yourself i'd imagine it might be a chore. i think the engine is 90lbs?
texsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote