User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
koifarm OP
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
A De lightful question!

When you mount a sidecar with a tug, and add right turn signals to the sidecar, what do you do about the right turn signals on the tug?

1. Leave the right turn signals on the tug operable and have two sets of right turn signals on the rig?
2. Disconnect or remove the bulb from the tugs right hand turn signals and use the sidecar signals as the working signals for the rig?
3 Are there any other options?

A second question popped up: Do you simply tap into the existing wires on the tug or get something called a "relay"(not sure yet, still studying that) ?

koifarm screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 01:42 PM
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,220
Removed the turnsignals from the bike and just use the signals on the tub.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by koifarm
When you mount a sidecar with a tug, and add right turn signals to the sidecar, what do you do about the right turn signals on the tug?

1. Leave the right turn signals on the tug operable and have two sets of right turn signals on the rig?
2. Disconnect or remove the bulb from the tugs right hand turn signals and use the sidecar signals as the working signals for the rig?

A second question popped up: Do you simply tap into the existing wires on the tug or get something called a "relay"(not sure yet, still studying that) ?
I usually disconect the right turn signals but leave them installed. That way I have spare bulbs available on the bike.

In Oregon this is technically illegal as all installed lights on the vehicle are mandated to be functional. I have yet to have this be an issue.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Nemo DeNovo
Banned

Oddometer: 1,782
I'd take 'em off cause I'm just anal like that. But I'd never EVER throw 'em out GODS NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Nemo DeNovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,958
Are there any other options?

jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:19 AM   #6
Nemo DeNovo
Banned

GAK!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 03:56 AM   #7
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
I usually disconect the right turn signals but leave them installed. That way I have spare bulbs available on the bike.

In Oregon this is technically illegal as all installed lights on the vehicle are mandated to be functional. I have yet to have this be an issue.
Same rule in the UK (but it's the left one we take off). You either take off the "middle" indicator or replace the lens with some sort of solid cover such as a metal disc or painted lens.

I've seen the "middle rear" converted into a fog light, but this struck me as illegal due to the high position and a lot of work to get a red lens, upgrade the cables to take a 21W lamp etc. It was a Harley though, so I'm guessing the owner was into neatness and clean lines.

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:17 AM   #8
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by koifarm

I would choose option 2, also for esthetic reasons. But, as allready said, in some states and countries, that isn’t allowed. On a naked bike not really a problem to take the indicators off on one side, but when you have built-in indicators in your fairing, it looks pretty goofy, when you have to paint the indicators or use tape to cover them. (You see that sometimes in Germany).

Very often, the sidecar doesn’t have the same bulbs (less Watts) as the bike. This can cause the indicator lights of the chair to go in a double frequency. Either you try to get the same bulbs (with the correct wattage) on the sidecar (sometimes difficult to get heavier bulbs for the same fitting, but they most of the time exist) or you use a resistor (which can get hot sometimes though).

The most easy thing to do then, is to get a indicator relay, that is not effected by the power usage. Most motorcycle shops have them between 15 and 50 bucks.

When you still have to choose new indicators (as in your case, I suppose) get them with the same fitting as the indicators on the bike.

Richard-NL
Old 05-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #9
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-NL
Very often, the sidecar doesn’t have the same bulbs (less Watts) as the bike. This can cause the indicator lights of the chair to go in a double frequency. Either you try to get the same bulbs (with the correct wattage) on the sidecar (sometimes difficult to get heavier bulbs for the same fitting, but they most of the time exist) or you use a resistor (which can get hot sometimes though). [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

The most easy thing to do then, is to get a indicator relay, that is not effected by the power usage. Most motorcycle shops have them between 15 and 50 bucks.
<
Actually, in that case the easiest thing to do is to paint the unused indicater lamp black and leave it in circuit. Yeah, I do get lazy Someday I will correct the wiring on the KLR Sputnik rig, but blackout paint works for now!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
Nemo DeNovo
Banned

If you really wanna be cheap you could take the signal lights off the bike and put them on the hack. Solves 2 problems at once and doesn't cost anything but a little sweat. Plus they'll match
Old 05-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo DeNovo
If you really wanna be cheap you could take the signal lights off the bike and put them on the hack. Solves 2 problems at once and doesn't cost anything but a little sweat. Plus they'll match

in my case it isn't cheap so much as pressed for time. Maintenence for the fleet I use for classes is keeping me way too busy! I usually don't bother wiring the hacks at all, but the sputnik came with lights so i went ahead and hooked them up.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
Nemo DeNovo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
in my case it isn't cheap so much as pressed for time. Maintenence for the fleet I use for classes is keeping me way too busy! I usually don't bother wiring the hacks at all, but the sputnik came with lights so i went ahead and hooked them up.
Well it would be illegal not to hook them up. After all, Big Muther (Big Brother was the good ol' days) says that if it's on there it has to work. So I guess you either rip it off or hook it up, whichever is less work.

I usually keep a horn and a set of signal lights made up for temporay use. They have simple clamp-on switches and alligator clips on the wires. I just put them on to get an inspection and then take them off. I've never gotten a ticket on any bike for not having them. If you look at pics of my bikes that I've posted you'll notice none of them have signals. I just use hand signals if there's any other vehicles around.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
koifarm OP
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Handy signaling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo DeNovo
Well it would be illegal not to hook them up. After all, Big Muther (Big Brother was the good ol' days) says that if it's on there it has to work. So I guess you either rip it off or hook it up, whichever is less work.

I usually keep a horn and a set of signal lights made up for temporay use. They have simple clamp-on switches and alligator clips on the wires. I just put them on to get an inspection and then take them off. I've never gotten a ticket on any bike for not having them. If you look at pics of my bikes that I've posted you'll notice none of them have signals. I just use hand signals if there's any other vehicles around.
Here's one of my wife's favorite signals..... when in the sidecar, of course!!!!!
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,085
With the newer BMW's you have to keep a functional bulb in all of the bike's signals or you will get an error in the CANbus system.

On "Clifford" my big red R1200RT rig, I have not yet done anything to try to cover up the right hand signals on the bike.

With over 6,000 miles on the rig now, and a recent 2,800+ mile trip in 11 states, I have not been given any grief from the police yet for having two right turn signals flashing...

Just another data point...
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #15
halflive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Laugh

I wouldn't be bothered by the opinion of the police. I would wonder how a usualy blind car driver reacts to a configuration of 1 headlamp with two blinking turn signals on the right hand side approaching him.

to keep it as clear as possible i've removed the bulbs from my rh blinkers.
halflive is offline   Reply With Quote