User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
Firefight911 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Laugh Renazco Seat for F800GS - A photo comparison/review

Well, it arrived today!!!!! Yes!!!! I got home from work and there was the tell tale sign in a well wrapped and protected box. The Renazco has arrived!!!!

I have compiled a series of photos for you to peruse. These photos are taken with my F800GS. I can, upon request, do the same photo compilation with my wife's F650GS (twin) in case anyone wants to see this.

I had James build my seat based on a 33" inseam with a weight of 205 lbs. My seat was delayed by 2 weeks from the promised timeline. This, however, is NOT due to James not following through with his promises. It was due to James having had an opportunity to spend some quality time on an F800GS and learning some things about the bike and its ergonomics which caused him to restructure how he builds the seat. I am, therefore, not at all concerned by the delay.

James did a fantastic job of communicating with me concerning my wants and desires on the seat and its construction material. For example, I wanted a suede seat as I love the look of them and their function is very good having used one on a friend's KTM950 Adventure a while back. Unfortunately, James would not do suede on this seat due to the design and stresses placed on the materials. He indicated that the seat would not hold up with time and use. Instead, he offered a faux suede for the sides. I have to say, I am VERY impressed.

The seat does nothing but exude high quality. It is constructed very well with plenty of attachment points to keep the material where it belongs, on the seat. The stitching is perfect. It looks like a high end vehicle interior when it comes to construction. It is that good!

So, here are the comparison shots for you. If anyone needs a differnt angle, etc. just let me know and I'll do my best to get something for you. As the seat relates to height form stock difference I ask that you look at the pictures and compare the backdrop to the seat for a reference. I tried to keep the camera at the same angle and height between pics. I do not have a tripod so it's about as good as it will get.

Here ya go!

Low seat

Regular seat

Renazco Seat

Low Seat

Regular Seat

Renazco Seat

Here are some different angle shots of the Renazco.

I have no seat time yet. I can say that the initial feel from sitting on it is an improvement. The angle appears to eliminate the uncomfortable stock seat feeling and the material feels better. Not just the outer shell but the inner foam. It appears the my weight is better supported which, should, in turn eliminate "hot spots" and butt squirm. Of course, time will tell but I am initially VERY impressed. I give Renazco a solid 2 thumbs up. More to follow after I have had some ride time.

Firefight911 screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 04:02 PM
Firefight911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Seat looks good I'm curious since you have the regular seat and the low seat did you find the stock height any more comfy than the low? I have the low seat and don't find it very comfy but after seeing it side by side with the non low seat I can't help but wonder if the dish in the low seat is adding to the discomfort.

Thanks,

DS
Old 05-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,869
Looks great.

So, 1bmwfan, since you still have your stock seat, I assume you don't have to send your seat to Renazco, they use a new seat pan?

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
mesopotamia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Great pics man. Thanks for sharing.
mesopotamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
1 Bored Clerk
Mama, I'm goin fast!

Oddometer: 10
That is BY FAR the best seat comparison photo set I have ever seen. Nice work!

The seat looks great too...enjoy. Only 1-1/2 more months for mine.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Thank you for sharing! Order in - can't wait!
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
anodyne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Great comparison/range of pics. Renazco seat looks very nice. Thanks for the report!
anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
Firefight911 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
Looks great.

So, 1bmwfan, since you still have your stock seat, I assume you don't have to send your seat to Renazco, they use a new seat pan?
When we bought my wife's F650GS, we got both the low and regular seat as she was undecided as to which way she wanted to go. 2 months later, my F800GS showed up which gave me an "extra" seat to work with so I sent the extra regular in to James for the build. Now I have the Renazco on mine, my wife still has the choice between teh regular and low.

Quote:
I'm curious since you have the regular seat and the low seat did you find the stock height any more comfy than the low? I have the low seat and don't find it very comfy but after seeing it side by side with the non low seat I can't help but wonder if the dish in the low seat is adding to the discomfort.
My wife has the miles on the low and has found that the seat is not that comfortable. She complains of it diggin in to the back of her thighs after a while. She really likes, comparatively, the regular seat. She has indicated that now that I have the Renazco she will be riding hers with the regular seat to see if that improves her riding comfort. She is vertically lacking and likes the flat foot confidence of the low over the regular. She is so comfortable with the bike now though that this is not really an issue any more. We'll see.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,815
Renazco higher?

Judging by the background in the pics it looks like the Renazco is higher than the BMW standard?
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
My biggest complaint is the 'slope' of the stocker (regular). I've got a 34" inseam, so looks like James should be able to take care of things nicely!

Can't wait!!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #11
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Bored Clerk
That is BY FAR the best seat comparison photo set I have ever seen. Nice work!
+1

Great job, 1bmwfan.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #12
Firefight911 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog
Judging by the background in the pics it looks like the Renazco is higher than the BMW standard?
Yes.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:18 AM   #13
Steffo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
My biggest complaint is the 'slope' of the stocker (regular). I've got a 34" inseam, so looks like James should be able to take care of things nicely!
+1. I wonder what the people who designed the stock seat was thinking about. Crushed nuts?
Old 05-29-2009, 04:45 AM   #14
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,172
Where'd James go to "foam school"?

Thanks for the pics!

The website http://www.renazco.com doesn't really cover any details on the internal construction - what does James do there in terms of foam and etc.

Is he from the layered school, the tempur-foam school or some other school?

Thanks,
Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #15
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,591
Thanks for the pictorial comparison. James certainly knows how to build a comfortable seat