Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #15061
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
What is your intended use for the bus, Aaron?
Anti, he's converting it to a camper/toy hauler. He's added a lift gate to the rear to be able to get bikes in it.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #15062
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,007
ok this is about that you would end up with with using a 350.

Years: 1981-1986[9]
The LT-9 served as GM's truck-based Heavy Emissions[10] variant of the 5.7 L (350 cu in) supplied in K20/K30 pickups and with the P30 chassis used for motorhomes and stepvans.
The LT-9's listed specifications are 160 bhp @ 3800 rpm and 250 lb-ft of torque @ 2800 rpm with 8.3:1 compression.[11] LT-9's are carbureted with Rochester Quadrajets from factory and are generally 4-bolt mains. The LT-9 is often known by VIN code as the "M-code 350."[10]

if you could get all the fuel injection and electronics for a real Vortec you would have this.

L31
The Vortec 5700 L31 (Vin code 8th digit "R") is a V8 truck engine. Displacement is 5.7 L. It is the last production Generation I small-block from Chevrolet. The cylinder heads feature combustion chambers and intake ports very similar to those of the LT1 V8, but without the reverse-flow cooling. As such, the L31 head is compatible with all older small-blocks, and is a very popular upgrade. It offers the performance of more expensive heads, at a much lower cost. It does, however, require a specific intake manifold (A 5.7L, 350 CI L31, Vortec engine has eight bolts attaching the intake manifold or four per head, as opposed to the traditional six bolts per head twelve in total found on older Chevrolet small blocks). The L31 was replaced by the 5.3 L 5300 LM7. The 2002 model year was the final year for the L31 5.7 L small block V-8 whose origins date back to 1955. The Vortec 5700 produces 255 hp (190 kW) to 350 hp (261 kW) at 4600 rpm and 330 lb·ft (447 N·m) to 350 lb·ft (475 N·m) of torque at 2800 rpm.

A 366 big block Chevy usually had between 220 - 262 hp and the torque usually ran between 450-510 they were a very low end torque engine they were built for nothing else but pulling they were put into medium duty truck usually from 2 ton to 3 ton trucks. They are a tall deck engine with a small combustion chamber and small valves for a big block but very high output at low rpms. They had a bore of 3.935 and had a stroke of 3.760 they used three compression rings. One of the major flaws of the 366 was that when you would down shift pulling heavy loads up a steep grade the heat in the combustion chamber would burn holes threw the valves because of high out put but now were for it to go.

so the over heating problem is from extended high rpm pulls. that's easy to avoid.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #15063
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
Anti, he's converting it to a camper/toy hauler. He's added a lift gate to the rear to be able to get bikes in it.
That's what I thought...

We had a pulpwood truck with the 366. That thing would pull an International TD-8 dozer on a triple axle trailer all day. It actually pulled it down to Destin, FL and back one time. I'm not sure why my grandfather didn't just rent a dozer down there, but I digress.

Now the TD-8 is a small dozer, but still weighs about 17,000 lbs and the trailer was not lightly built either. The truck did have a two-speed rear end which helped.

If it were me, and I was planning on running any distance on the highway, I'd rebuild the 366 or look for another big-block. Toting around that much weight is just outside of the design parameters of a 350. Consider the gearing and how much higher in the rpm range a 350 makes its power than a 366. If that bus is set up to run less than 3000 rpm at cruising speed, the 350 will have a real hard time at highway speeds.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #15064
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Aaron I know you've already rejected this idea but I'm gonna throw it out there one more time. If I were taking on this project I'd seriously consider putting a diesel in it. I know it means more work and more expense but I think it will be worth it in the long run. You might even be able to find a wrecked diesel truck for cheap then you can just pull everything you need from it.

Edit: I would only consider the diesel if I were going to do a motor swap anyway. I definitely wouldn't go to a smaller gas burner.

babarnette screwed with this post 06-09-2014 at 02:15 PM
Old 06-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #15065
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

Oddometer: 631
Jackson MS riders?

The diesel wouldn't be to bad if I could find one cheap. The 350 I'd put would be a vortec if I did go that rout. The bus is already throttle body injected so it would hook up do problem. I defiantly wouldn't want a carburetor.

I'll probably just finish rebuilding the 366 for now. I'm not planning any long trips in it right now and will eventually upgrade to a newer diesel bus with a taller ceiling since I only have like an inch clearance standing up in it and I've grown 2 inches in just under a year so it might not fit me for too long 😁.

aaron2a screwed with this post 06-09-2014 at 11:51 AM Reason: just adding info
aaron2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #15066
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron2a View Post
The diesel wouldn't be to bad if I could find one cheap. The 350 I'd put would be a vortec if I did go that rout. The bus is already throttle body injected so it would hook up do problem. I defiantly wouldn't want a carburetor.

I'll probably just finish rebuilding the 366 for now. I'm not planning any long trips in it right now and will eventually upgrade to a newer diesel bus with a taller ceiling since I only have like an inch clearance standing up in it and I've grown 2 inches in just under a year so it might not fit me for too long ��.
did you not read what I posted? it doesn't matter if you use a Vortec 350 or not, with out all the electronics and the multiport injection from a late 90s truck it will never have more power then a 350 from out of the late 80s with a throttle body or a carb. and actually a carb can make more power then the puny two barrel throttle body injection. and there is nothing you can do to a 350 to ever get the low end torque of a big block. in a bus horse power is nothing, torque is everything. Also the throttle body for that 366 is going to be tuned completely different from a 350 so no it wont bolt up with out a problem. it will ether be to rich or to lean. if it will bolt to the intake.

if you did go to a diesel I would convert to a 6BT mechanical, simple to set up and all but indestructible.

the cheapest and easiest this to do is rebuild what you have and run it. It's a bus, and anything over 65 or 70 is to fast anyway. It's never going to have a fast 0 to 60 time, it's never going to get good fuel millage. keep it simple.

and this is the last thing I'm going to say on the matter.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #15067
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron2a View Post

I'll probably just finish rebuilding the 366 for now. I'm not planning any long trips in it right now and will eventually upgrade to a newer diesel bus with a taller ceiling since I only have like an inch clearance standing up in it and I've grown 2 inches in just under a year so it might not fit me for too long 😁.
I would get on eBay and see if I could find a cheap diesel bus and just cut your losses and sell the one you've got. If you're gonna keep the one you've got I'd do as Switch said and rebuild the 366. Switch is probably the most knowledgeable person I've ever met when it comes to internal combustion engines.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #15068
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

I'm not fortunate enough to be able to just purchase another bus but will eventually upgrade. I'll just finish my rebuild and finish converting it. When/if I do end up with the extra money I'll find the bigger diesel bus I really want. I'll also be able to learn from doing this one what I can do better next time so it will be better.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #15069
OTRATT
On The Road All The Time

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticyclone View Post
what is your intended use for the bus, aaron?
Quote:
anti, he's converting it to a rolling meth lab.
OTRATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #15070
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

Shhhhhh!!!! It's parked in front of the sheriffs department and they haven't figured it out yet. I'm using the "hide it in plain site" method
Old 06-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #15071
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I would get on eBay and see if I could find a cheap diesel bus and just cut your losses and sell the one you've got. If you're gonna keep the one you've got I'd do as Switch said and rebuild the 366. Switch is probably the most knowledgeable person I've ever met when it comes to internal combustion engines.

Many many years of watching my dad work and took, along with him, all the take home test that GM offered when he still worked for them. I am mostly trained on all the tech from the late 80s through 2000ish GMs. All my motorcycle knowledge is self tough. Oh I'll be pulling the Vortec 350 out of my 98 GMC this weekend to rebuild it due to a cold weather knock in the bottom end wile my daughters are off on a mission trip next week. See if I can squeeze another 200k out of that truck.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #15072
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,103
Let's go racing!!

From one of the grids this past weekend at Road Atlanta. Good size grids with some very fast cats from all over the country. That's me front row far left.

The weekend was not that good. A lot of crashes and guys injured. One fatality late Saturday in T5. That left the paddock in complete shock. Shook me up pretty bad since the guy raced in my classes. A death is not very common at a racetrack but it does happen. 2nd time I have experienced it in 15 years. You never can prepare for it. Road Atlanta scares me and my results showed it. I have not been there since 09 and only went this time because it was Cycle Jam and potentially a good points grab. I finished in points on all my races and thats all that counts.

Now on to the Barber round June 28.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #15073
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
From one of the grids this past weekend at Road Atlanta. Good size grids with some very fast cats from all over the country. That's me front row far left.

The weekend was not that good. A lot of crashes and guys injured. One fatality late Saturday in T5. That left the paddock in complete shock. Shook me up pretty bad since the guy raced in my classes. A death is not very common at a racetrack but it does happen. 2nd time I have experienced it in 15 years. You never can prepare for it. Road Atlanta scares me and my results showed it. I have not been there since 09 and only went this time because it was Cycle Jam and potentially a good points grab. I finished in points on all my races and thats all that counts.

Now on to the Barber round June 28.
Dang, that's awful. Prayers for the family.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #15074
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
Dang, that's awful. Prayers for the family.
It was bad. He was only 29, won the first race on Saturday in A superstock and was leading the F1 race when he ran off track, seperated from the bike and hit the wall. False nuetral was what I heard happened. Reportedly had issues on the ZX10 with the transmission earlier. A false nuetral going into any turn is a helpless feeling. Bad stuff happens even quicker once it happens. Air fencing was on the wall Sunday morning but I can't recall if it was there Saturday. T5 there is a little sketchy. The hill needs to be moved back IMO.

The last death I experienced while at a race weekend was way back around 2003 or 04 I was at Talladega and a guy went off and whiskey throttled all the way down into a tree by the creek. Killed him instantly. Freak thing there because at that spot there is adequate run off room way before the tree like at the creek.

I still stand by the fact racing is safer than riding on today's public roads with all the distracted drivers around.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #15075
wolfy317
Beemer lover

Oddometer: 3,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post

I still stand by the fact racing is safer than riding on today's public roads with all the distracted drivers around.
Sad to hear about the loss of the rider. Prayers out. While I have never personally witnessed a death, I am surrounded by it at work, and it is a terrible feeling.

And I would feel safer being on a race track surrounded by riders of at least a skill level well above casual, than on a public road surround by youngsters too concerned with taking a seflie of themselves driving down the road in their hot new car than to drive safely.

'71 BMW R75/5 | 06 BMW K1200R
wolfy317 is offline   Reply With Quote