Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #4801
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrgreg View Post
All I can say is, the old ones(pre 08) didn't have the excessive burn/use rate as the late models do. Same air filtration, same type cooling system. There was some change to the rings in 08. This lends one to believe that this has something to do with the oil consumption issues. Although, a miss placed or excessively dirty air filter could certainly apply as well. I am experimenting with oil types and change intervals on my 08 model. Seems that fresh oil at about 1500 miles is what it wants. Mine begins to need a top off more frequently the closer to 1500 miles the oil goes. And afterwards(1500 miles), it begins to need more and more added. Could it be that it is wearing the oil out at that pace? The expirement continues.... as soon as it warms up a bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslaw View Post
Thanks - how many miles do you have on yours?
The '08s did have more issues with oil burning/usage. That's when Kawi went to the thinner, lower tension ring set. Those rings, in out of round bores, just won't seal. No engine likes ingesting dirt, and that one was just that much more susceptible to wear than the earlier KLRs. The earlier Japan built bikes have better materials that came from different suppliers. Much better metal.
I will say that the KLR air filter isn't the easiest filter to seat correctly for the non mechanical experienced owners that do their own service, and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. You really need to focus on a full seal on the back side of the filter using plenty of grease on the sealing surface.
Greg's on the right track. KLRs like new oil after 1500 miles. I try to stay under 2000 miles on an oil change and everything is good.

The automatic balancer tension system is pretty weak on these bikes. Doo that first!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #4802
RezSailor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by advfrk View Post
Aight, so I don't have a garage and this morning I went to start the bike and the F@%$&*^g ignition was frozen and the key would not turn. I spent about 20 or so mins. lighting a lighter and holding my key over it then sticking it in over and over. No luck and I really can't lose the old POS job right now. Any ideas? I can't be late again. I had to jack my roomies car and shoot him a text that when he was ready to go to work to call and I would haul ass back. Today was ok, but gotta ride in the morning?

I have sprayed de-icer in the locks on my Jeeps before to de-ice them. It worked pretty good.
RezSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:40 AM   #4803
wolfy317
Addicted to BMW

Oddometer: 3,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by RezSailor View Post
I have sprayed de-icer in the locks on my Jeeps before to de-ice them. It worked pretty good.

+1

Don't know about the ignition though....... :shrug
Old 02-03-2011, 05:49 AM   #4804
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezSailor View Post
That's what I would try, or a small pickup...
Old 02-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #4805
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,606
? ?

I'd definitely try to pus some type of cover over the dash / key area when frost, sleet, snow, freezing rain, or anything like that is expected.

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #4806
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Thread JACK

Ok, who has a good recipe for a hot soothing drink for chest colds. Me and G have been fighting this for a week or two(for me). I'm nearly over it, she juss got it.
I'm reading; garlic, Onion, Ginger, Licorice, Black pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Sugar Balls, lemonade, barley(hey, I like barley), Vit C... etc., etc.
Who's got something easy and effective to help sooth the throat and help with coughing? Thanks.

Don't say JD and Peppermint. She can't stand whicky, and I can't stand up after two fifths...
Old 02-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #4807
wolfy317
Addicted to BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSrider View Post
Ok, who has a good recipe for a hot soothing drink for chest colds. Me and G have been fighting this for a week or two(for me). I'm nearly over it, she juss got it.
I'm reading; garlic, Onion, Ginger, Licorice, Black pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Sugar Balls, lemonade, barley(hey, I like barley), Vit C... etc., etc.
Who's got something easy and effective to help sooth the throat and help with coughing? Thanks.

Don't say JD and Peppermint. She can't stand whicky, and I can't stand up after two fifths...
Lmao! I'm usually happy after a cuppa tea. Especially the sleepy time throat soother and the sleepy time sinus. I think the brand is celestial seasonings. It seems to help a bit, and it doesn't taste like after I mix in a little cream and sugar

wolfy317 screwed with this post 02-03-2011 at 08:06 AM
wolfy317 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #4808
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy317 View Post
Lmao! I'm usually happy after a cuppa tea. Especially the sleepy time throat soother and the sleepy time sinus. I think the brand is celestial seasonings. It seems to help a bit, and it doesn't taste like after I mix in a little cream and sugar
Haha, he said taste like .
TheraFlu works great for me when you have serious aches, but tastes like .
G won't drink the TheraFlu.
I like the hot drinks for the soothing part of it. What tea you drinking?
I'm wanting to find a good recipe for some Ginger/Honey or Lemon/Honey or Herbal tea that she'll drink and halfway enjoy. Trying to stay away from the off the shelf stuff, if that's possible. Thanks mang.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #4809
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

i just ran down to my favorite Medicine Man in Richland and got a couple of shots... And scripts for cough syrup, antibiotics, and more... UGH!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #4810
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,722
Shine. one shot before bed time. you will wake up feeling better in the morning.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #4811
wolfy317
Addicted to BMW

Quote:
Haha, he said taste like .
TheraFlu works great for me when you have serious aches, but tastes like .
G won't drink the TheraFlu.
I like the hot drinks for the soothing part of it. What tea you drinking?
I'm wanting to find a good recipe for some Ginger/Honey or Lemon/Honey or Herbal tea that she'll drink and halfway enjoy. Trying to stay away from the off the shelf stuff, if that's possible. Thanks mang.
LMAO. what can I say lol.

Too bad she doesn't like the JD. Some JD and honey mixed together with a bit o' lemon works purty good. I don't know any homemade hot drink remedies...
Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #4812
carabnsol
should have been a cowboy

Oddometer: 2,142
This is something I have used with colds and sore throats. It taste pretty good and even better if you drop a few Red Hots in it.
TEA AND TANG MIX

Read more about it at http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,163,...247193,00.html
Content Copyright 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.
1 c. instant tea
1 c. Tang
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves

Mix. Store in airtight container in a dry place. To serve, place 2 heaping teaspoonfuls in a cup. Fill with hot water! OPTIONAL: Add red hot cinnamon candy.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #4813
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
i just ran down to my favorite Medicine Man in Richland and got a couple of shots... And scripts for cough syrup, antibiotics, and more... UGH!
Yeah, I had the anti script last week, it's gone, but I still feel like arse. I want to try some more natural stuff. Damn Dr. bills SUCK. I got hit for Nearly $350 last year for two shots for this shet. I don't want to do that again.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #4814
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carabnsol View Post
This is something I have used with colds and sore throats. It taste pretty good and even better if you drop a few Red Hots in it.
TEA AND TANG MIX

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,163,154164-247193,00.html
Content Copyright 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.
1 c. instant tea
1 c. Tang
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves

Mix. Store in airtight container in a dry place. To serve, place 2 heaping teaspoonfuls in a cup. Fill with hot water! OPTIONAL: Add red hot cinnamon candy.
Thanks sol. I haven't seen Tang on the shelf lately, but I haven't really looked either. Maybe some regular OJ would be good for that. I just got a gallon of it. I feel like arse
Old 02-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #4815
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, I had the anti script last week, it's gone, but I still feel like arse. I want to try some more natural stuff. Damn Dr. bills SUCK. I got hit for Nearly $350 last year for two shots for this shet. I don't want to do that again.

It's the shots, man. i sometimes don't even have to take the pills cause the 2 shots clear everything up!