Old 10-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #11011
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrgreg View Post
Here is a interesting site for hurricane watching
http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

Until 2010 this place held the record for the highest recorded wind speed at 230+mph!
Cool, thanks! Mt Washington is on my list of places to ride one day. Preferably a nice sunny day.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #11012
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Cool, thanks! Mt Washington is on my list of places to ride one day. Preferably a nice sunny day.
Me too - I've only done it by rental car.

Only place I've ever seen where they tie the buildings down.

tslaw screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 05:09 PM
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #11013
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,153
Being that I know we have a few opinionated members on here, I'm going to break my own rule and ask for some advice... Enduro Attgat advice.

After my unintended unassing of the CRF230 on at the end of the dFR, I am in the market for some off road safety gear. I already have my Alpinestar Scout boots for on and off road riding and a motocross helmet and goggles.
Now I am researching compression jackets / roost deflectors and pants / knee pads. Went to doc yesterday when my knee did not seem to be healing after 8 days, and he said nothing was broken and the swelling was blood and not fluid. Got home and saw a Motorcycle Gear catalog in the mail and it had a pair of motocross knee pads for $9.99. Much cheaper than what I just paid for 2 x-rays, doctor visit, pain and anti inflammatory medicine, etc.

Thought I'd see if some of y'all with more motocross / enduro experience got any advice... I know a few of you have opinions about everything!

Think I prefer something like this that I can wear under a jersey...
backwoodsKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #11014
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,960
I just bought this one.

I
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #11015
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Glad to hear the knee is not worse and you're just kind of a pussy.

I really like my Acerbis Koerta pressure suit:

It flows enough air that you don't notice it once you're moving faster than a walking pace. The sizing is slightly wonky being from a european company. I think mine is a XL/XXL, but fits more like a L/XL. The arms and especially wrists are clearly built for european nancy boys.

Loctite the screws that hold the shoulder straps in place. They will back out.

You're welcome to try it on for size before you buy. Next time I come to town I'll bring it.

I've got the MSR reflex knee guards:

Hefty as hell. Slightly uncomfortable to wear all day. I'm sure the chafing on my shin hurts less than a dislocated knee or broken patella though. I only really wear them when I think I'll need them because of the aforementioned shin chafing.

The upside of the gear is that it hurts less to fall. The downside is people will ask when the hockey game is.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #11016
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Well Anti, remember stopping in Birmingham on the way to NC? i almost let you buy me a compression jacket like that at Cycle Gear?? Wish I would have!

Been looking at Motocross pants, but none of them have built in knee pads like my First Gear street pants. I prefer not to have them bungeed to my knee cutting off circulation, but I am having trouble finding any MX pants that have built in or a pocket for knee armor.

I think this is the one I almost got:

And of course I gotta find over-the-boot pants so DQ doesn't start comparing me to Knightwork and his sissy tucked in pants!!!! :ymca

backwoodsKLR screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 08:45 AM
Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #11017
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Well Anti, remember stopping in Birmingham on the way to NC? i almost let you buy me a compression jacket like that at Cycle Gear?? Wish I would have!

Been looking at Motocross pants, but none of them have built in knee pads like my First Gear street pants. I prefer not to have them bungeed to my knee cutting off circulation, but I am having trouble finding any MX pants that have built in or a pocket for knee armor.

I think this is the one I almost got:
As for pants I have the Klim Baja. They run small. I have a 36" waist. There is no way I could squeeze into them right now. All my jeans still fit, but the Klim pants must run more like a 34". I think they were the previous generation and I got them on sale, so the new ones may fit more true to size...

EDIT: No knee armor, just some light padding. They are capri pants.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #11018
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
I'll chime in a little. I bought some good quality EVS knee guards a few years ago and yes they are rigid and bulky and will eventually wear a hole in your leg, but I've taken some serious falls in these with no injuries (like a 30mph lowside on rocks in UT). I wore these and a 661 pressure suit for 7 weeks while doing the TAT and back home in 2010. WORTH IT!

Also a 661 pressure suit that now has a broken zipper and is too small
Again, numerous crashes on the TAT and hare scramble races without injury.

What to buy? I'd recommend hard knee armor for sure. I think any pressure suit will do as long as it has good CE armor and it is comfortable enough to make you want to wear it!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #11019
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post

And of course I gotta find over-the-boot pants so DQ doesn't start comparing me to Knightwork and his sissy tucked in pants!!!! :ymca

Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #11020
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Matt! Was just on revzilla looking at Klim Mojave pants. Could use them for offroad or on road in warm weather. They list Knee and hip padding, but I'm sure it is not as good as hard knee pads, but better than the pair of wranglers I had on when I went down. May have to have one set of gear for when i ride serious with people like you and the Rigby's and a set for casual offroading!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #11021
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Leatt neck brace since eventually you're going to end up on your head

http://www.leatt.mobi/
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #11022
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
Leatt neck brace since eventually you're going to end up on your head

http://www.leatt.mobi/
A bunch of folks would do well if they landed on the old noggin :)

R1200RT
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #11023
weave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
I dont have a problem with the hard knee guards...wore them all day at the dFR...I wear a wicking long bottom then the guards. Also have the velocity gear shirt.CE armour good for street.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #11024
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,742
off road i will always use a Chest protector and not a compression suit. Why because I like it them. this is a matter of what you want. as for the pads in the pants you seek, there's a reason you cant find them, they do you no good. I know you say you don't want them strapped to your leg but if you get a good set and not the cheap type then this will not be a problem.

i have a older Fox set that pivots at the knee. my boot actually holds them in place more then the straps. if I was going to buy new ones i would get these.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...ee-Shin-Guards

these would be my less expensive choice but the top strap will be a pain and probably just take it off because your pants will do just as good at making it bend. if your boots are high shin boots and not mid shin they will keep the guards in place and you can keep the straps loose. the straps on my guards wont even keep them on my legs with out my boots holding them there.

this is something to cover as well. on road gloves are NOT good enough for off road. do not skimp on gloves, meaning don't get the cheapest ones. you want the ones with the extra palm pads. you will thank me when they out last the cheaper ones. there's 3 grades of off road gloves, cheap, good and over priced.

Also get a kidney belt. and not a back brace, a kidney bely

I like to catch gear on closeout after the first of the year is great for this. you can get pants jersey and gloves as a set cheaper...

I probably sound preachy but here's why. i raced off road for 5 years competitively and I've road like that for another 10, I started out with sneakers and a helmet on a XR80R. I've used cheap gear as I was getting into the sport but as i got faster i bought the better stuff and let me tell you it does it's job. I've hit the ground, Hit trees, had a XR400R hit me as it flipped over me at 50mph and busted it to hell. every time I jumped up ran to the bike picked it up and finished the race with nothing more then a few scratches and a bruise or two. every thing i tell you i have tested. I have seen guys hurt bad right in front of me and i have seen guys get up and walk away from crashes that no one should have. guess who had the right gear on.

also the EVS braces are probably the best knee protection on the market but they are not knee guards they are braces with guards on them. I wish i could afford them.

i also still like these

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Deflector-2012
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...dney-Belt-2012

and this post wasn't just for you BW it was for anyone thinking about getting into the off road world.

found these that have knee pads but remember i said this is not good for off road... trees HURT!

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...lim-Dakar-Pant

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.

Switchblade315 screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 04:26 PM
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #11025
carabnsol
should have been a cowboy

Oddometer: 2,024
Any thing between you and the ground, tree, other bike, is better than nothing. For non competition woods riding, I would suggest a chest protector(you can attach a camel back to it too), good gloves, boots, eye protection and some type of knee/shin guards. I wouldn't jump right out and buy a $500 pair of knee braces (unless you want to). Even the cheap knee guards would have helped in your fall. Plus it's not like you will be wearing them all day. You can always take them off during riding breaks. I like MX pants just because it keeps me from tearing up my good pants( I ripped the crotch out of my camo pants riding at the rally) and they do offer a little protection on the inside of your legs from burns. The Leatt brace is a great thing and I bought one for my son as soon as they were available. But he was racing. My 2 cents worth.