Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #11371
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
I am in as of right now. Just need to know one thing, Tenere or DR. Anything remotely sandy or muddy it's the DR. All other I can manage on the Tenere.
That depends on weather between now and then. (and which route we take)...

Last year, the hilly section over near Meridian was wet, slick, nasty red clay on hills... I surfed over it on the KLR but there were some nervous moments... This year it was dry but Trophy was somewhat distracted, I think....

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #11372
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
That depends on weather between now and then. (and which route we take)...

Last year, the hilly section over near Meridian was wet, slick, nasty red clay on hills... I surfed over it on the KLR but there were some nervous moments... This year it was dry but Trophy was somewhat distracted, I think....

I thought it was Supah that got distracted? I'm probably wrong though; my memory is not very good.

The muddy / slick sections were the fun parts.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #11373
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ View Post
NYD Route Options

I think the first question is, who is planning on riding NYD?
I am planning on it. Haven't missed a year yet.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #11374
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,437
Quote:
I thought it was Supah that got distracted? I'm probably wrong though; my memory is not very good.

You're correct. I had to go back and do a little accident reconstruction to remind myself. My memory is not too grand either.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #11375
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
You're correct. I had to go back and do a little accident reconstruction to remind myself. My memory is not too grand either.

I was watching it in the mirror so i probably got it backwards!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #11376
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Quote:
I am in as of right now. Just need to know one thing, Tenere or DR. Anything remotely sandy or muddy it's the DR. All other I can manage on the Tenere.
This is not directed at Roy, It's a general statement for those that may not ride with us much.

Most of these routes can be ridden on the Tenere, 2up, full luggage, with street tires. However, we occasionally find a spot or two where you may wish you were on a dirt bike. Those sections are pretty rare, and we seem to always find a way to get the big bikes through. Most of us don't mind getting a scuff or two on our bikes, YMMV. There is typically a way to go around those areas if you choose to do so. However, I really don't like passing up the opportunity to make memories. You very rarely hear someone say, Hey, you remember that ride we went on and nothing happened? We just rode along at a easy pace, on good roads, in good weather, no one had an "oh shit" moment, the bikes ran perfectly, etc, etc, etc. We, in Mississippi, are not blessed with a lot of incredible scenery to enhance the riding experience. You are required to create your own enhancements, what ever that may be to you.

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah........I have no idea why I typed that but, as Uncle Si would say....Hey, there it is, Jack.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #11377
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

"Hey... Hey... That's a fact, Jack"

Let's see from past NYD rides...
  • I remember Trophy breaking a clutch cable somewhere around Forest (We thought he was afraid of the cold).
  • I remember the Trophy / Supah collision at the entrance to Cow Creek Road.
  • I remember skating the KLR across the slick places near Meridian and Anti asking me how I drove so straight.
  • I remember meeting at Pocohontas at 7Am when it was below 30degrees.
  • I remember the gates across the levees near Yazoo City, tamales at Onward, and being called the KLR ninja for being in all black on a black KLR with black helmet standing by a frozen mud puddle beside the levee somewhere west of onward...
Yep, I'm in again!!!!

Quote:
This is not directed at Roy, It's a general statement for those that may not ride with us much.

Most of these routes can be ridden on the Tenere, 2up, full luggage, with street tires. However, we occasionally find a spot or two where you may wish you were on a dirt bike. Those sections are pretty rare, and we seem to always find a way to get the big bikes through. Most of us don't mind getting a scuff or two on our bikes, YMMV. There is typically a way to go around those areas if you choose to do so. However, I really don't like passing up the opportunity to make memories. You very rarely hear someone say, Hey, you remember that ride we went on and nothing happened? We just rode along at a easy pace, on good roads, in good weather, no one had an "oh shit" moment, the bikes ran perfectly, etc, etc, etc. We, in Mississippi, are not blessed with a lot of incredible scenery to enhance the riding experience. You are required to create your own enhancements, what ever that may be to you.

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah........I have no idea why I typed that but, as Uncle Si would say....Hey, there it is, Jack.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #11378
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
I'm all for memory making but I prefer not to be the one making that memory. Ms is full of slick unpredictable terrain. You almost need a full blown dirtbike or four wheeler to enjoy it. I am a 160 soaking wet and I don't go looking for a wrestling match with a 600+ lb partner. I'll take the DR and it's still a pig too. I just can't stand the thing on long paved sections. Plus I get no where near the claimed 4500 miles on a rear T63 more like 1500 miles which means my current rear is about shot. I have a new one but ain't up to changing it.

As for skint stuff all my rides are tattooed from riding. My wolfman duffle took the finish completely off my Tenere passenger grab rails last trip up to the smokies. And remember I took both bikes across several passes in CO. They both still bare the wounds from that trip

And there was this time I took a super motard with slicks across the Rodney bean patch fields
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #11379
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Quote:
I am a 160 soaking wet

You need to eat a few more biscuits.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #11380
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
You need to eat a few more biscuits.
I'm up 10 lbs more than I've ever weighed right now. I feel obese, barely can do anything without being out of breath. Guess I need to find a lighter light beer
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #11381
Kingsized
Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Maybe I can follow in my car and pull my single bike trailer. I can call it a chase vehicle. Put red duct tape on the side that reads "NYD RIDE IN PROGRESS, STAY BACK 100FT" and jam my stereo with Flight of the Valkyrie at an 11.
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #11382
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsized View Post
Maybe I can follow in my car and pull my single bike trailer. I can call it a chase vehicle. Put red duct tape on the side that reads "NYD RIDE IN PROGRESS, STAY BACK 100FT" and jam my stereo with Flight of the Valkyrie at an 11.

The KLR is still in the garage... It's no BMW but it will get you there and through the rough stuff... If you want me to get it set up for you, just let me know...

Edit: Now that I think about it, you might have trouble reaching the ground, but you are welcome to try it and see...

backwoodsKLR screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 10:05 AM
Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #11383
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
Quote:

It was me! I am distracted a lot! That time it didn't work out so well!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #11384
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Quote:
I'm up 10 lbs more than I've ever weighed right now. I feel obese, barely can do anything without being out of breath. Guess I need to find a lighter light beer
I skipped that weight. I think I went from 125 to 200 overnight. When I was in the best shape of my life, working out, running, and competing, I was at 245. I'm at 280 now and feel horrible. I would be happy to drop about 25 lbs.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #11385
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I skipped that weight. I think I went from 125 to 200 overnight. When I was in the best shape of my life, working out, running, and competing, I was at 245. I'm at 280 now and feel horrible. I would be happy to drop about 25 lbs.
I'd be happy to drop 25, ecstatic to drop 50! Maybe I can stick to my New Years resolutions a little longer next year...