Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #11596
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post

I mean I am running what Wayne said he puts in all of the Triumphs, after 500 miles he changed me to a full synthetic. Guess I need to ask him which kind so I can submit it for approval...

EDIT: Can you tell I am stuck and work, in an almost empty office, and BORED out of my mind?!?!?!
Wayne runs Castrol Syntec 4T 10w40 IIRC. I had a gm 350 that ate a crank bearing using Castrol once, so I don't trust the stuff. Never mind that it was 10w30 dino oil and the engine had about 150k miles and had been beat on by a teenager...
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #11597
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Wayne runs Castrol Syntec 4T 10w40 IIRC. I had a gm 350 that ate a crank bearing using Castrol once, so I don't trust the stuff. Never mind that it was 10w30 dino oil and the engine had about 150k miles and had been beat on by a teenager...

175k miles on my Gm350, 125k are mine and they haven't been easy miles it has only had Havoline 10w30 in it. no smoke doesn't use a drop between changes, and the FZ speaks for Rotela-T 10w40 95k miles

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #11598
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Quote:
1) I have consulted with several friends that own Tiger's and asked their advice on the gearing (and other farkles). See thread(s) under "BEASTS" for further reference.

2) My personal observations are that it is geared as a street bike. The front sprocket is a 16T in stock form. This gives you an idle speed in first gear of around 10-12 MPH. I am afraid I will wear my clutch out on any technical section (proven on my Christmas Eve ride in Bienville NF with DQ). (See "where did you ride in MS" thread or my thread over in "Day Trippin")

3) The lowered front sprocket is the same as STOCK on a Wee, GSXR600, etc so forth and so on. So it is geared higher than all of these. (See online reference and parts number available from numerous motorcycle related websites.)

4) I don't need to be riding 130+, which is what the stock gearing will do. (again, see reference threads under BEASTS and other websites.)

5) A majority of my riding is local. Commuting to work, gravel roads, etc. Not much Interstate and if so, no for a long period of time. (See any thread I've posted about my rides in, my personal riding website, and my personal ride resume that is available by sending a SASE to my house.)

6) My riding so far, such as following Mr. Rigby around, I found myself staying in 4th and 5th and never using 6th, so I know I have plenty of room for the lower gearing. (Personal observation, don't have a reference for you).

7) One of my friends up in TN even carries both sprockets with him. Rides the 16t to get to where he wants to ride down the interstate or across state lines, and then changes to the 15T to go off road and ride technical stuff, but I don't plan to go that extreme.
(Reference: picture provided by my friend ADVTENN of what all he packs under his seat:)

8) I am also considering up coming rides and trips I have planned where the full knobbies and lower gearing will be useful and or helpful. (See my personal calendar for my list of planned rides and intended uses of my Tiger. I can send a copy in the SASE from previous step with my riding resume.)

I hope these few points will allay fears that I am willy nilly committing a motorcycle faux pas and indicate that I have actually researched my planned motorcycle changes, farkles, and use and apologize for not submitting the proper TPS reports to the ADV local brain trust to approve all modification and additions that I plan to and am making to my personal motorcycle.

Sincerely,

TigerBackwoods
Sounds well thought out! I hear that there are some openings in the Red Bull Signature Series event in Romania :grin

R1200RT
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #11599
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
Quote:
I
But since Roy is worried about me doing it right, I wonder what time I need to show up at his shop for him to show me how to get it changed the correct way...
That won't work, currently I am wall to wall GSXR's and motorcycles I am life long attached at the hip to. So unless you won't to do it out on the cold driveway count me in.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #11600
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
EDIT: Can you tell I am stuck and work, in an almost empty office, and BORED out of my mind?!?!?!
I can relate to that...
WERA Expert #826
Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #11601
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
I can relate to that...

My pretend rant would have been even longer if it wasn't for netflix and Amazon Prime streaming video... I just hate to waste vacation time now when I can use for a long ride / trip later!!!
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #11602
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
My pretend rant would have been even longer if it wasn't for netflix and Amazon Prime streaming video... I just hate to waste vacation time now when I can use for a long ride / trip later!!!
Same here, weather sucks for riding this time of year always does. I took 5 weeks off this year so I don't mind sitting here working in the nice quiet office with no distractions.
WERA Expert #826
Old 12-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #11603
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

I guess I could spend time searching for sponsors for my bid to race in Romania...
Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #11604
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I guess I could spend time searching for sponsors for my bid to race in Romania...
I'll buy the sprocket ;)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VxBzvziYAdk

R1200RT

vfrgreg screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 11:50 AM
Old 12-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #11605
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrgreg View Post
I'll buy the sprocket ;)

I already got one! Just need to get it installed / swapped out!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #11606
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VxBzvziYAdk

R1200RT
Old 12-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #11607
CrashDummy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrgreg View Post
If you posted a thread on Face Plant that you crashed because an eagle attacked your helmet, you'd get five people saying how you should know better than to paint your helmet _________ and another five who will suggest you should have taken the MSF Eagle Avoidance course. Then another five will say the Eagle Avoidance Course sucks....
CrashDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #11608
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
THANKS for posting this.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #11609
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 2,014
I went today to try the tamales at the new Onward Store.

Everything was pretty good. Definitely worth another trip.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #11610
CrashDummy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSrider View Post
THANKS for posting this.
It's what Greg was trying to post, but he had a mobile link that wasn't working right, so I feeeex
If you posted a thread on Face Plant that you crashed because an eagle attacked your helmet, you'd get five people saying how you should know better than to paint your helmet _________ and another five who will suggest you should have taken the MSF Eagle Avoidance course. Then another five will say the Eagle Avoidance Course sucks....
CrashDummy is offline   Reply With Quote