Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #12406
Kingsized
Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
No fun Trophy! I did the same thing about two years ago. Had to replace the entire heat/AC system in and out. One month later, new roof. :(

If there is anything good, the new units are so much more efficient. I can't remember the SEER rating of my new unit but my power bill went way down.
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #12407
carabnsol
should have been a cowboy

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
Hey troph, supahwife found a guy that has been keeping one of our units on life support for a couple of years without trying to sell us a new unit. I've only half-assed read the thread, but if you think you need another opinion, just pm or text me and I'll get you and that guy together.
Good idea! My compressor crapped out a few years ago and I just had them replace the compressor only and so far so good.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #12408
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,567
mine needs a little work. it's low on freon, I cant decide if I just want to go to window units or have it fixed.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #12409
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by carabnsol View Post
Good idea! My compressor crapped out a few years ago and I just had them replace the compressor only and so far so good.
First guy told me the r22 freon would cost me more than the compressor. Made it sound like the new system was the only way to go. Will see what Supah's guy says. wonder if HE gets going b4 noon:30?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #12410
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
mine needs a little work. it's low on freon, I cant decide if I just want to go to window units or have it fixed.
I tried window units, doubled my electric bill. Spent $180 on parts, labor, and freon 2 years ago and problem solved. I also bought a Nest thermostat about a year ago and it consistently lowered my power bill nearly 30% month for month over the previous year. The A/C guy I used is Smith Air Solutions. Really nice and honest guy, his number is 601-709-7837. He told eventually the unit will fail and have to be replaced but the work he did should buy me a few more years.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #12411
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,511
DAKAR is on FM

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880178

Feel free to chime in, discuss, and keep it at the top.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #12412
Thunderhart8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
DR Big bore??

I was on the procycle site, you know shopping, maybe an upgrade with the old refund check, and discovered a most recent update. Procycle has created a 790 big bore kit for the DR650....Pretty f-ing awesome!!! With further research I discovered a guy did the big bore kit on his bike and it will run like a scalded dog. It would cool if they did a KLR 800 big bore as well.
Depending on how things go over the next month I may start a build thread and do a complete over haul of the bike. I love the simplicity of the DR but believe the 800cc area would be more enjoyable. There are many concepts on other bikes so I may borrow a few and custom out some pieces that i really like for example. I may get a seat off a Weestrom and mod it to the bike as well. What are you guys thoughts on the big borekits??
Thunderhart8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:40 AM   #12413
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,482
I loved mine on the KLR, but I had someone else do it. Read a great article in Motor Cyclist magazine by one of the editors who kept modding his DR and spent tons of money on it only to find the stock Husky in their test fleet is still a better bike as is without mods... YMMV

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #12414
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,572
What BW said. I'm sure the big bore kit would be fun, and I've considered the same thing for the DRZ. If you really enjoy tinkering, wrenching, and building up your own bike, it's pretty cool. The thing you will come up against is weight; i.e. no matter how much more HP you put into it, a KTM will still smoke it because it weighs 50 to 100 lb less.

Of course the DR is less maintenance intensive, but at some point producing more power will come at the cost of less reliability.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #12415
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,567
a 650 to a 790 is a big jump. and i say that because of this. I looked at the big bore for my Raptor. it starts as a 660, the first one is a 690. everything stays stock here. but they offer a 770 kit, this kit requires you have the case modded for the larger cylinder, the water jackets around the cylinder get smaller because they have to cut away some of them to put the bigger sleave in there, also it put a lot of stress on the old crank..

so look at this very carefully, if it's new, give it a year or so for them to real world test it and see how many problems arise from a 140cc over bore. I bet it runs hot and eats rings and cranks.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #12416
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

I'm trying to find the article. i thought it was very informative and very fitting to your predicament, but can't find it now. I swear I read it last night... been having a lot of changes in the Matrix lately... I think I'm losing what is left of my mind. Maybe I dreamed the article... I did have a nightmare about an ex girlfriend last night

Old 04-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #12417
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
I'm trying to find the article. i thought it was very informative and very fitting to your predicament, but can't find it now. I swear I read it last night... been having a lot of changes in the Matrix lately... I think I'm losing what is left of my mind. Maybe I dreamed the article... I did have a nightmare about an ex girlfriend last night
Ummm... What?
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #12418
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Ummm... What?
The article that I mentioned a few posts back, that I think i read last night, can see in my head, but cannot find in any magazine currently?

Oh, wait... which part confused you? The Matrix being changed or me having an ex girlfriend?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #12419
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
The article that I mentioned a few posts back, that I think i read last night, can see in my head, but cannot find in any magazine currently?

Oh, wait... which part confused you? The Matrix being changed or me having an ex girlfriend?
Maybe it was your ex-gf in the magazine. Nah, you probably wouldn't forget that.
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #12420
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,280
None of us here have a problem understanding the "ex" gf part of the problem you have......