User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #12646
optikalilluzion4
Okie Dokie

Oddometer: 360
Thumb

Hey Supahflid, I to am gonna be out of town this weekend. I am riding down to Orlando and then to Anna Maria Island south of Tampa for some fun in the sun. Keep me in the loop so I can make the next get together.

Thanks,

Stephen
optikalilluzion4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #12647
Knightwork
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by optikalilluzion4 View Post
I live in the Jackson, MS area and ride just about every Saturday. I am usually riding solo because I don't know any inmates in this area. I ride a 2001 BMW R1150GS mostly on the slab. Ok, this bike is pretty frackin heavy, so I keep it to the slab as much as possible. If anyone is interested in meeting up in the future to go riding, hit me up with a PM and we can hit the pavement.

Kindest Reguards,

Stephen
Well the big German Girls are fun--IMHO--- ride mine all the time and it has been known to take a nap--but that is all in fun--your more than welcome to come and join us for some combination riding --got some really good Tour Guides on here---Some that don't have time to ride anymore (sorry, Trophy) three of us are heading out this weekend for a short camp trip but most likely we will be back and be at the regular watering hole at PBTP on Sat am 6-8-13.

Supa can show you how to pop wheelies and replace parts real good--he has a problem replacing stickers from the old parts though This will keep you entertained until you can watch some of the rest of us fall and take a nap in various beautiful locations around the state
Could not resist SupaMan

'09 R1200GSA (Frau Brueller)
Knightwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #12648
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightwork View Post
Supa can show you how to pop wheelies and replace parts real good--he has a problem replacing stickers from the old parts though This will keep you entertained until you can watch some of the rest of us fall and take a nap in various beautiful locations around the state
Could not resist SupaMan
No problem, my sleep deprived friend!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #12649
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
It's fixed!

I got the motor put back in the Honda this afternoon! Runs and rides great. A big thanks to Switchblade315 for taking time out of his Memorial Day to break the engine down, get all the bits of exploded spark plug out of it, and reassemble it.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #12650
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
I got the motor put back in the Honda this afternoon! Runs and rides great. A big thanks to Switchblade315 for taking time out of his Memorial Day to break the engine down, get all the bits of exploded spark plug out of it, and reassemble it.

Did you put anti-seize on the plug when you put it back together???

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #12651
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
No, I'm gonna order a new head in the next couple of weeks because the last 25% of the threads in the head are just gone. It probably won't cause any major issues in the near future but I don't want it to cause a problem down the line.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #12652
carabnsol
should have been a cowboy

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
WOW! Now that's a friend! He sure seems to know his way around an internal combustion engine.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #12653
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post

I don't know if that would have even helped with the problem he had. i truly have never see what happened to that plug happen before, it honestly looked like it welded into the head, there was actually a spot almost 1/4 inch that the threads where gone. and what we pulled out no longer looked like a part of the plug around where threads should have been. it is the strangest thing I have ever seen when i tore down a motor, the second strangest was a valve stuck through the top of a piston.

the good thing is the plug screwed in far enough to go below the bad spot by a 1/8th inch

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #12654
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
I don't know if that would have even helped with the problem he had. i truly have never see what happened to that plug happen before, it honestly looked like it welded into the head, there was actually a spot almost 1/4 inch that the threads where gone. and what we pulled out no longer looked like a part of the plug around where threads should have been. it is the strangest thing I have ever seen when i tore down a motor, the second strangest was a valve stuck through the top of a piston.

the good thing is the plug screwed in far enough to go below the bad spot by a 1/8th inch

How many years and miles had the plug been in there?
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #12655
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Switch is good people
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #12656
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post

Was there enough meat left to install a thread insert. I've done several and never had a problem. Very easy, permanent repair. Always use anti seize on aluminum heads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslaw View Post
Good question. It appears to have been run lean. XRs had an issue with the rubber manifolds cracking causing lean conditions. Was the manifold in good condition?
Old 05-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #12657
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,755
Hey KLRcaptian (and any other keyboard commandos out there), you paying attention to these last few posts? This place isn't just about being an internet tough-guy. Sometimes it's about being a real-life good guy and helping a guy out.

I will continue to stick by my rule of not typing anything I wouldn't say to somebody's face.

And Roy, I would be jealous, but I was there a week ago, so no complaints here. Have fun!

EDIT:

MSrider, thanks for your service in the TB and CG threads
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:52 AM   #12658
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSrider View Post
Was there enough meat left to install a thread insert. I've done several and never had a problem. Very easy, permanent repair. Always use anti seize on aluminum heads.

Good question. It appears to have been run lean. XRs had an issue with the rubber manifolds cracking causing lean conditions. Was the manifold in good condition?

I wondered about running hot. My brother did a jet kit in his to richen it up a little - was way lean from the factory.
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:36 AM   #12659
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,722
we thought about the lean condition but by the looks of the carbon in the motor and the top of the piston I'm going to say no his bike is not running lean, Now, as for the pictures of the plug and what i pulled out it is possible it went lean at some point in Alaska, there was three of us there when we pulled it down one being a local friend of mine that raced with me back in the day. both of us have seen 2-strokes melt down in moments if something makes them go lean fast. we all talked about possible causes over the last say few months. the only thing we could all really agree on is maybe the gas mixture in Alaska has some additives in it that we don't down here and that mixed with the elevation changes he was riding in caused a few extreme lean conditions and that intern caused the plug meltdown. that was our best guess on looking at the inside of the motor and going on the info he could give on where the bike had been, and also note that he said it had started to run funny on his ride over the weekend before he pulled the plug, so the plug was failing to function right at that point.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #12660
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslaw View Post
Plug had been in for one year. I change it every Summer, it probably had 5,000 or 6,000 miles on that plug with most of those being in Alaska.

Bike has 12,000 total miles on it.