Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #12856
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Sailboats under sail always have the right-of-way.
Unless they are overtaking another vessel, or are encountering another sailboat under sail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
Tanker was technically at fault if that was in the U.S. Although if I was on that sail boat I would have taken action to avoid a collision because, you know, I like living. There is no way that tanker could have stopped or quickly changed course and the guy on the sailboat should've known that well in advance of being in that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Right of way only counts if both parties know the rule and respect it... on the Rez, neither occurs.
You sound like me, I had the same complaints when I went boating on the rez.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #12857
BradH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
Unless they are overtaking another vessel, or are encountering another sailboat under sail.

Tanker was technically at fault if that was in the U.S.
Yessir, you are correct.
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #12858
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,427
Quote:
In construing and complying with these Rules due regard shall be had to all dangers of navigation and collision and to any special circumstances, including the limitations of the vessels involved, which may make a departure from these Rules necessary to avoid immediate danger.
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #12859
BradH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
I had to take boater safety last week for work. Lol only reason I know some of that stuff....
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #12860
CrashDummy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
Tanker was technically at fault if that was in the U.S. Although if I was on that sail boat I would have taken action to avoid a collision because, you know, I like living. There is no way that tanker could have stopped or quickly changed course and the guy on the sailboat should've known that well in advance of being in that situation.
From what I read (unless I mis-remembered and was thinking about a different tanker/sail incident), the tanker was in a deeper part of the channel and couldn't alter course. The sail was supposed to have been made aware of that but either ignored it or old habits die hard and they assumed the powered ship would turn.
If you posted a thread on Face Plant that you crashed because an eagle attacked your helmet, you'd get five people saying how you should know better than to paint your helmet _________ and another five who will suggest you should have taken the MSF Eagle Avoidance course. Then another five will say the Eagle Avoidance Course sucks....
CrashDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #12861
OTRATT
On The Road All The Time

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Right of way only counts if both parties know the rule and respect it... on the Rez, neither occurs.
Yep and it gets worse the farther up river you go.

Always wanted a ski boat but after witnessing a fatal accident, I changed my mind.
OTRATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #12862
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRATT View Post
Yep and it gets worse the farther up river you go.

Always wanted a ski boat but after witnessing a fatal accident, I changed my mind.
Actully that is not true. The worst of it is between ratlif and the rez. Above ratlif once you pass the last big sand bar on the right the trafic dies down. When we tubed we would go up and stay above that sand bar and below coles bluff. Or how ever its spelled.very few people go up that far. The rivers not as wide up there. I would rarly go down toward the rez... to many people and to many of them are drunk.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #12863
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 2,015
There is a proper right-of-way on the water? I've never heard such nonsense!
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #12864
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ View Post
There is a proper right-of-way on the water? I've never heard such nonsense!
Boat on Ross Barnett Reservoir much?
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:57 AM   #12865
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,623
RIP Mike Holloway, owner of Vicksburg Cycles. He was a good source of moto info, entertaining to visit with, and honest (sometimes brutally so) to deal with.

Help his wife and partner, Kay, out by dropping in next week and buying a new bike. Hope she will be able to keep the shop open, but I don't see how without Mike.

I mention this since he lived in the Florence area, so some of the Jackson area guys might want to know.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/cla...38#fbLoggedOut
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #12866
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslaw View Post
RIP Mike Holloway, owner of Vicksburg Cycles. He was a good source of moto info, entertaining to visit with, and honest (sometimes brutally so) to deal with.

Help his wife and partner, Kay, out by dropping in next week and buying a new bike. Hope she will be able to keep the shop open, but I don't see how without Mike.

I mention this since he lived in the Florence area, so some of the Jackson area guys might want to know.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/cla...38#fbLoggedOut

I read his obit in the paper yesterday. RIP Mike Holloway.

Does the store sell accessories?
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #12867
tslaw
aged n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
I read his obit in the paper yesterday. RIP Mike Holloway.

Does the store sell accessories?

Not much in stock - some helmets, jackets, and gloves. They order and install anything you want. I usually buy little things like oil filters (when I had my KLR and DRZ). I rarely ever had to leave my bike there to get a tire installed if I needed it quickly and didn't have time to do it myself. I bought some S100 there Saturday just to see if he had any new bikes in and to visit. Glad I got to talk to him before he passed on Monday - was really shocked since he seemed normal on Saturday.

tslaw screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 08:23 AM
Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #12868
tslaw
aged n00b

Just had a co-worker poke his head in my office to tell me about a wreck on I-55 near Madison.

MADISON COUNTY, MS (Mississippi News Now) -
A crash involving multiple motorcycles on Interstate 55 has all southbound lanes shut down Friday morning.
According to a spokesperson with the Mississippi Highway Patrol, three motorcycles crashed in the southbound lanes at 8:33 a.m. on I-55 near the Highway 463 Interchange in Madison County. All southbound lanes are closed to drivers as emergency crews work to clear the scene.
Motorists are being rerouted to Gluckstadt Road at exit 112, according to the Mississippi Department of Transportation. Officials expect the southbound lanes to be closed for up to three hours.

MHP was not able to confirm how many victims were involved or the extent of any injuries.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #12869
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
Quote:
Glad I got to talk to him before he passed on Monday - was really shocked since he seemed normal on Saturday.

I hope his wife will find peace. I think the obit said they were married 30+ years.

Without turning this into a discussion about me, I lost my Dad very unexpectedly when he was 48; it took us all a long while to overcome that shock. I am praying for his family.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #12870
CrashDummy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Just had a co-worker poke his head in my office to tell me about a wreck on I-55 near Madison.

MADISON COUNTY, MS (Mississippi News Now) -
A crash involving multiple motorcycles on Interstate 55 has all southbound lanes shut down Friday morning.
According to a spokesperson with the Mississippi Highway Patrol, three motorcycles crashed in the southbound lanes at 8:33 a.m. on I-55 near the Highway 463 Interchange in Madison County. All southbound lanes are closed to drivers as emergency crews work to clear the scene.
Motorists are being rerouted to Gluckstadt Road at exit 112, according to the Mississippi Department of Transportation. Officials expect the southbound lanes to be closed for up to three hours.

MHP was not able to confirm how many victims were involved or the extent of any injuries.
http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/22592...-in-madison-co

http://www.wapt.com/news/central-mis...z/-/index.html
If you posted a thread on Face Plant that you crashed because an eagle attacked your helmet, you'd get five people saying how you should know better than to paint your helmet _________ and another five who will suggest you should have taken the MSF Eagle Avoidance course. Then another five will say the Eagle Avoidance Course sucks....
CrashDummy is offline   Reply With Quote