User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #13021
GravelSlinger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Things to do around Pearl?

Going to Pearl on business with some co-workers next week, need something to do that Thurs night Where would be somewhere cool to go hangout? Some of us drink a lil & some don't. Thinking maybe a place with a live band or such would be good. Need ideas & place where not as likely to get shot...being Jackson & all :)
GravelSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #13022
dan650
mississippi

Oddometer: 103
Guys I have a question... I have a friend that has a 80's model fj 1100 he is looking for parts
does anybody know the ph# to the Yazoo junkyard?
Thanks please PM me the info....
Old 07-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #13023
GravelSlinger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan650 View Post
Guys I have a question... I have a friend that has a 80's model fj 1100 he is looking for parts
Been a long time ago since called or went there, but it used to be Bridges ATV 662-746-9948 used stuff or 662-746-3992 new stuff.
GravelSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #13024
optikalilluzion4
Okie Dokie

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan650 View Post

I tried calling there last year and the guy told me he didnt have to much in the way of bike parts any more. I dont know if he meant as for old bikes or what? Call Moto Lane at (217)674-3793. He has a lot of parts for old bikes. I ordered a new engine for my KZ750 and he had it to me in a week. I would try there. My bike was a 1980.
optikalilluzion4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #13025
dan650
mississippi

Oddometer: 103
Thanks

I will pass the info along...
Old 07-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #13026
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelSlinger View Post
Going to Pearl on business with some co-workers next week, need something to do that Thurs night Where would be somewhere cool to go hangout? Some of us drink a lil & some don't. Thinking maybe a place with a live band or such would be good. Need ideas & place where not as likely to get shot...being Jackson & all :)
M-braves game? Not much else in Pearl.
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #13027
CrashDummy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
M-braves game? Not much else in Pearl.
That's what I was thinking too, but they're on the road next week. Thursdays are good there too, $1 beer night
If you posted a thread on Face Plant that you crashed because an eagle attacked your helmet, you'd get five people saying how you should know better than to paint your helmet _________ and another five who will suggest you should have taken the MSF Eagle Avoidance course. Then another five will say the Eagle Avoidance Course sucks....
CrashDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #13028
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

If anyone is looking for a clean KLR, there is a blue one for sale on the local Jeep Forum. 2009 with <5000 miles... something like $3400.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #13029
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,505
Get together???

Have a MN ADVer coming in on July 25th to pick up his bike and thought it would be fun to try and get some folks together to have dinner that evening.

He will head out Fri morning on the BMW riding back to MN and may want to ride around the area some Fri. So we might can show him some of our sites.

Now... If anyone wants to take him in for the night, let me know. He was planning to get a hotel, and he was fine with that, but just thought I'd put it out there.

Let's show this snow dweller some Southern Hospitality.

PM me or text me with any ideas or questions.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #13030
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,174
You sure that's a good idea? We all know that bike's history... Ridden to church on Sunday and Wednesday night, but only if it wasn't raining
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #13031
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
You sure that's a good idea? We all know that bike's history... Ridden to church on Sunday and Wednesday night, but only if it wasn't raining

You left out "coasted down every hill in neutral."
Old 07-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #13032
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
You left out "coasted down every hill in neutral."
Well, the bike has never been ridden while intoxicated... As a matter of fact, the bike has never been intoxicated.

He has seen the pics and read the stories. I've been honest with him about it all... So bring it.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #13033
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1298 View Post
Well, the bike has never been ridden while intoxicated... As a matter of fact, the bike has never been intoxicated.

He has seen the pics and read the stories. I've been honest with him about it all... So bring it.

Oh, then I'm sure he's figured out it's not the bike, it was the rider!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #13034
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
Yesterday around 1:30 Thunderhart (William) gave me call and we made arrangements to meet at my house at 3:00 to go for an afternoon ride. Now, the thing you have to understand about Thunderhart is that he operates on what I like to refer to as William time. Now the ratio of William time to actual time varies depending on the phase of the moon, but, it usually works out to be around 30 minutes to an hour later than actual time. So, it was no great surprise that he still hadn't shown up when 3:30 rolled around. I gave him a call to get an updated ETA and he said he'd be here in 30 minutes. At this point I decided that I'd run up to Mac's Gas to get fuel while I waited. When I tried to start my bike it started for half a second, backfired, and then nothing. The motor would turn over and had compression but would not start. I knew it was nearly out of gas when I parked because I had switched to reserve about 35 miles from home on Saturday's ride. I knew it was a long shot, but, I poured 2 gallons in the tank from a jerry can but still couldn't get it to crank. At this point I knew it had fuel and compression so I decided to check the spark plug. Now the only easy way to get the spark plug out of my bike is to remove the fuel tank. So, I texted Thunderhart to let him know my bike wouldn't crank and not to hurry and proceeded to remove the side panels, seat and tank. Thunderhart showed up about the time I got the spark plug out. I was able to confirm that the bike did indeed have spark, fuel/air, and compression. At this point I was thoroughly confused, I just couldn't figure out what the problem was. I'll admit my mechanical skill aren't the greatest in the world but fuel/air + compression + spark should = vroom. I decided that maybe the valves had gotten out of whack so I did a valve adjustment... 3 times. No dice. I put a new plug in. Nada. Now during all this I kept trying and trying to crank it with the electric start (no kick start on XR650L) and the battery died. So I hooked up the battery charger and kept tinkering. Finally at my wits end I resorted to the technical tap method (for those that don't know what that is it involves hitting a malfunctioning piece of equipment in an attempt to jar it back into working order). It was at this point that I noticed that the carburetor had come loose from the intake manifold (probably during that initial backfire) and there was a microscopic gap between the two. I reattached the carb and the bike fired right up! I let it run for a minute and shut it off, at which point Thunderhart reaches up, grabs the exhaust pipe and shouts an expletive. I asked him if he really just did what I thought he did and he said, "Yes, I wanted to check if it was hot... It is." I said, "Well, no one has ever accused you of being a genius." The funny thing about karma, though, is it has a way of coming back around. Having forgot to unplug the battery charger, I reached up to disconnect it, and managed to give myself a nice little shock. We got the bike put back together around 5:30 and went for our ride. It turned out to be a good one and we found some really nice double and single track not far from the house. We plan on going back Wednesday morning if anyone wants to join us.
Nice. Don't you hate it when stupid little things happen? One of the first posts I ever made here was about accidentally switching off the run/stop button on the Tiger while riding and not noticing until the next day AFTER I had the bike towed to my house. Sheesh.

I am glad you didn't have any worse troubles!
Supahflid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #13035
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,536
Aren't the "W's" supposed to be riding out west soon?
Supahflid is online now   Reply With Quote