Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #13051
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan650 View Post
Great report on you and the S10, but did you come back by your self or did the other two follow close behind..
Came back early, read my last post it explains it. Plus I wanted to do the 1,000 and it just seemed like a good crazy time to do it. Planets lined up.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #13052
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
My list is really short.

1) Make it easier to get the last half gallon of fuel in the tank.

2)...

Sweet trip Roy.
I have that down to a science but I do spill a little at times from over filling.
WERA Expert #826
Old 07-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #13053
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ View Post
Elbow Tendons - We were hoping it would heal itself while the shoulder was healing but it didn't.
Ouch! Is that Elbow Tendonitis you had surgery for? I had that a couple years ago(not surgery), very painful. I wore a restrictive band for a few months that keeps the tension off of the tendon. I thought for sure I was going to need surgery on it, but it finally healed and the pain hasn't been back.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #13054
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,275
Cool trip Roy. Let me buy you a beer
Old 07-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #13055
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Awesome trip Roy, don't forget to change the gear oil in the rear end if you did any deep water crossings.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #13056
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Miss you guys... sort of.

Good photo
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #13057
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
David total trip was 4226 miles. I was gone 8 days. Bob and Greg are still coming home. I initially left early due to work but got a voicemail message late due to weak cell coverage that my mother was to have back surgery this weds so its a good move for me to jet home. Basically no sleep while camping with the drinking and staying up late. You know how it goes. All the mileage in UT was basically all off road. That's why it didn't accumulate as high. We toured up through AR to get to the good parts of N NM mountains. OK was wet and stank, I'm about done with beef after that stench.

That's a lot of riding in 8 days. Especially when you figure how much was back road and off road. Glad y'all had a good time. I enjoyed the updates and photos.
Best of luck to your mother tomorrow.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #13058
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSrider View Post
Ouch! Is that Elbow Tendonitis you had surgery for? I had that a couple years ago(not surgery), very painful. I wore a restrictive band for a few months that keeps the tension off of the tendon. I thought for sure I was going to need surgery on it, but it finally healed and the pain hasn't been back.

Yes, basically a bad case of tennis elbow. I developed it about a year ago. I've tried wearing a brace, not using the arm, and physical therapy. Nothing worked, so I decided to try the surgical route. It is supposed to be a quick recovery with great results. I guess I'll find out.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
Old 07-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #13059
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ View Post
That's a lot of riding in 8 days. Especially when you figure how much was back road and off road. Glad y'all had a good time. I enjoyed the updates and photos.
Best of luck to your mother tomorrow.
As soon as I get the photos off my point and shoot camera (which are way better quality) I will throw then up. I took a lot of pics along the way.
WERA Expert #826
Old 07-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #13060
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
Awesome trip Roy, don't forget to change the gear oil in the rear end if you did any deep water crossings AND every other oil change.
Fixed that for ya. Did mine yesterday. My hands still stink.
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #13061
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,749
Glad to hear y'all had a good trip Roy and that you still like your bike!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #13062
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Fixed that for ya. Did mine yesterday. My hands still stink.
Wow, that often huh? Is it a pain to do? How many miles do you go between oil changes/valve adjustments?
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #13063
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
Awesome trip Roy, don't forget to change the gear oil in the rear end if you did any deep water crossings.

The whole bike needs some serious attention. I changed the final drive oil before leaving. The water crossings were mostly dry except that one bad one we crossed. I plan to drop the oil anyway and the motor will get new oil and filter. A new air filter will be needs the dust was thick! The bike is about to roll over 24k miles so it won't be long and it will see Kerry at Got Gear for the first valve check which is 26,600 by the book.

For the most part it's a pretty maintenance free motorcycle.
WERA Expert #826
Old 07-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #13064
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSrider View Post
Cool trip Roy. Let me buy you a beer
I'm down for that
WERA Expert #826
Old 07-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #13065
990 trailblazer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
the flying monkey

I made it home around 10 last nite, said goodbye to dirtroads at the last gas stop in monroe.

Looks like roy did a great job of keeping yall posted with info and pics, thanks roy. so ill just give a little route info.

We meet in vicksburg early monday morn heading for ponca city ok for the night. I planed to ride some good roads in ark on the way and figured around 800 miles and a long day. Crosed the river at greenville and on to hwy 35, north west to hwy 7,up to 23 and 16 and crosed into ok on 20 heading west. we found hwy20 to be a pleasent surprise, very curvy for a while before turning into the straight flat road we expected. around 750 miles for the day, but pretty intertaining.

We left ponca city with visions of mountains after lunch. That was before we ran into the dark ominus black clouds and ensuing downpour. This was not your summer rain shower, this was a wall of water that you could barely see through and each truck you met through up such a blast that you ducked like it was a flock of birds.

We had discussed the possibility of rain before the trip and decieded that it being hot summer and all it would be cool and refreshing to get wet. Not! We stoped after a couple of hours in hooker ok nearly froze. I put on a dry shirt and a rain liner in my jacket. after finally warming and looking at the time we decieded to cut off some of the route and make toward farmington nm, our next stop for the night. Rain slowed to a more normal shower but we stayed wet several more hours. Finally we came out at raton and into the mountains and it was indeed after lunch, way after!

Great ride into the mountains past cimiron into eagles nest and taos, across to chama and into farmington for the night. It was later and futher than i expected at 800 miles. I had told the guys we would have one long hard on monday and after that senic and easy, but after today all i could say is tomorrow will be easy, trust me.

After some much needed rest we headed out to zion. were now into the canyon lands and big red and white rocks and the scenery is great. I make a turn and head toward zion confident of the route. roy pulls up beside me and asks if this is the way I want to go. Sure I say we go a way on this road then turn left. I must have sounded convencing and he said ok. A few (lot) miles later I start seeing road signs to towns that I dont want to go to and am forced to pull out the 10 year old atlas. Those pesky GPS units can catch me in a lie every time. sure nuff Im on the wrong road and our easy day gets longer. We find a road to get us back on track and finally make it to our camp site with plenty of time to set up camp.

More to come in part 2
990 trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote