Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #13231
carabnsol
should have been a cowboy

Oddometer: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by 990 trailblazer View Post
Congrats John, thats a great do it all bike. Now you gotta figure out how to get some time off work to ride it.
Well, I bought a lottery ticket for tonight's drawing.... fingers are crossed!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #13232
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsized View Post
You got an extra Triumph sticker? I may need it to sneak my BMW in.

Would be as obvious as a Ducati sticker on a Goldwing.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #13233
990 trailblazer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
flying monkey #4

When we get back to camp after Saturdays great ride we're glad to see dirtroads there. He and Roy had texed so we knew he was back ond ok.

What we didn't know is where in the heak he went and how did he get back. Turns out he didn't know either!

What follows is his story of the events as best as I can remember. No names were changed to protect the guilty and some animals and motorcycles may have been harmed during this ordeal.

I finally got by the rolling roadblock in front of me and did my best to catch my riding group in front of meI get to a terrible looking downhill and think this would be a great place to take a break and talk about this route, but with no one there I don't even stop and make my way down. The trail gets a little better and I'm hammering the 800 pretty good looking for at least a dust trail. Finally I get to a pretty big 4 way intersection and can't believe no one has stayed behind to show me the way.

Deceiding to go straight on the nice smooth dirt road, at first I'm going slow looking for tracks, marks or something, I finally see what I'm looking for. Plain as day I see a k60 henidau track and think halalulia, I've finally got them boys in my sights. I'm relieved beyond words and and redouble my efforts and speed to catch up. This is a long smooth road and you can go as fast as you want and I want to go very fast. I can't believe I can't even catch a dust trail and after 10 miles or so of this fast road, I'm thinking why are they going so far between breaks. There are lots of cows near the road and I must slow for them. After several more miles I come to another intersection. Again no one there!

Now I've got that sinking feeling in my gut and realise I'm offically lost! I take stock and find I've plenty of water, gas, and daylight, so I should be able to fire up this GPS and ride right out of here straight to the camp. It points me toward the left and I'm merrly on my way down another good smooth dirt road. After a while the smooth road is not so much and the trees on the sides are closing in. Gps says take Utah farm road umpty squat and the traveling gets a little harder. After a couple of more farm roads it has become brutal. I stop to evaluate and find road on the GPS with a real name and not a number, Poision creek. Now that name should have been cause for alarm, but I was so glad to see a road with a real name that I was sure it was to be my salvation.

But just to be on the safe side I walked the last couple of ugly hills toward my salvation and sure nuff at the bottom was a fair sized creek with a concrete ramp type bridge across heading to poision creek road. I'm feeling better now and trudge back to my bruised and slightly bloody tiger, told her the worst is over now and we will be home soon. After easing into the water from the smooth ramp a slight problem arises. The smooth concrete stops at the waters edge and mother nature has prepaired a whole different type surface for us to cross the creek bed. I'm pretty sure if the tiger could talk it would have some choice words for me! After much slipping of clutch and nashing of teeth we have crossed the creek, climed out the other side and up the last nasty hill on to poision creek road. I'm bent over the bars, huffing and puffing, pretty well spent, but happy I've made it to the road to take me out of this.

But there's a problem, after I catch my breath and look up this road doesn't look any better than the last 3 or 4 I've been on and worst now I see a forrest service sign with the ATV symbol on this road. Now the tiger is really pissed and wont listen to my promises of good things to come. I continue to follow the GPS and climb a couple more nasty hills only to come down a couple of nasty hills and wind up in sight of where I started. Aparently ATV ers are not interested in going anywhere but enjoy going up and down hills. I'm just about at my wits end when I hear a 4 wheeler and It's a couple out riding. They are not locals but are somewhat familier with the area.

Their first question is how in the hell did you get here on that bike? Well I thought about it for a minute but really didn't have a good answer for them that I could put into words. So I said the more important question is how in the hell do I get this bike out of here? He thought for a minute and aparently didn't have a good answer either. Finally I said the GPS says I should go to the right. He shook me off saying noooo that goes stright up the side of the mountain. I say how about the only other option to the left? he shook me of again saying that goes straight down the mountain. After several minutes of discussions and negoitations we deceided to go down.

Now down is a reletive term and I found out pretty quick that he had not exagerated with the straight down part and there was no way to ride or even walk this bike down this hill. The only plan we could come up with was to use the 4 wheeler as an anchor, so we tied a rope to the back of the tiger and the front of the 4 wheeler. I guess our thinking was that the two vehicles would slide slower than one. Well it worked and the tiger survived. We moved on until the next big downhill and had to repeat the manuver once more. After that I was able to make it on my own and the trail got better. Said my goodbyes to my helpful friends and that god offel poision creek road. The tiger is still not speaking!
990 trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #13234
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,962
Great write up! When is the next installment?
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #13235
carabnsol
should have been a cowboy

Oddometer: 2,026
Quote:
When we get back to camp after Saturdays great ride we're glad to see dirtroads there. He and Roy had texed so we knew he was back ond ok.

What we didn't know is where in the heak he went and how did he get back. Turns out he didn't know either!

What follows is his story of the events as best as I can remember. No names were changed to protect the guilty and some animals and motorcycles may have been harmed during this ordeal.

I finally got by the rolling roadblock in front of me and did my best to catch my riding group in front of meI get to a terrible looking downhill and think this would be a great place to take a break and talk about this route, but with no one there I don't even stop and make my way down. The trail gets a little better and I'm hammering the 800 pretty good looking for at least a dust trail. Finally I get to a pretty big 4 way intersection and can't believe no one has stayed behind to show me the way.

Deceiding to go straight on the nice smooth dirt road, at first I'm going slow looking for tracks, marks or something, I finally see what I'm looking for. Plain as day I see a k60 henidau track and think halalulia, I've finally got them boys in my sights. I'm relieved beyond words and and redouble my efforts and speed to catch up. This is a long smooth road and you can go as fast as you want and I want to go very fast. I can't believe I can't even catch a dust trail and after 10 miles or so of this fast road, I'm thinking why are they going so far between breaks. There are lots of cows near the road and I must slow for them. After several more miles I come to another intersection. Again no one there!

Now I've got that sinking feeling in my gut and realise I'm offically lost! I take stock and find I've plenty of water, gas, and daylight, so I should be able to fire up this GPS and ride right out of here straight to the camp. It points me toward the left and I'm merrly on my way down another good smooth dirt road. After a while the smooth road is not so much and the trees on the sides are closing in. Gps says take Utah farm road umpty squat and the traveling gets a little harder. After a couple of more farm roads it has become brutal. I stop to evaluate and find road on the GPS with a real name and not a number, Poision creek. Now that name should have been cause for alarm, but I was so glad to see a road with a real name that I was sure it was to be my salvation.

But just to be on the safe side I walked the last couple of ugly hills toward my salvation and sure nuff at the bottom was a fair sized creek with a concrete ramp type bridge across heading to poision creek road. I'm feeling better now and trudge back to my bruised and slightly bloody tiger, told her the worst is over now and we will be home soon. After easing into the water from the smooth ramp a slight problem arises. The smooth concrete stops at the waters edge and mother nature has prepaired a whole different type surface for us to cross the creek bed. I'm pretty sure if the tiger could talk it would have some choice words for me! After much slipping of clutch and nashing of teeth we have crossed the creek, climed out the other side and up the last nasty hill on to poision creek road. I'm bent over the bars, huffing and puffing, pretty well spent, but happy I've made it to the road to take me out of this.

But there's a problem, after I catch my breath and look up this road doesn't look any better than the last 3 or 4 I've been on and worst now I see a forrest service sign with the ATV symbol on this road. Now the tiger is really pissed and wont listen to my promises of good things to come. I continue to follow the GPS and climb a couple more nasty hills only to come down a couple of nasty hills and wind up in sight of where I started. Aparently ATV ers are not interested in going anywhere but enjoy going up and down hills. I'm just about at my wits end when I hear a 4 wheeler and It's a couple out riding. They are not locals but are somewhat familier with the area.

Their first question is how in the hell did you get here on that bike? Well I thought about it for a minute but really didn't have a good answer for them that I could put into words. So I said the more important question is how in the hell do I get this bike out of here? He thought for a minute and aparently didn't have a good answer either. Finally I said the GPS says I should go to the right. He shook me off saying noooo that goes stright up the side of the mountain. I say how about the only other option to the left? he shook me of again saying that goes straight down the mountain. After several minutes of discussions and negoitations we deceided to go down.

Now down is a reletive term and I found out pretty quick that he had not exagerated with the straight down part and there was no way to ride or even walk this bike down this hill. The only plan we could come up with was to use the 4 wheeler as an anchor, so we tied a rope to the back of the tiger and the front of the 4 wheeler. I guess our thinking was that the two vehicles would slide slower than one. Well it worked and the tiger survived. We moved on until the next big downhill and had to repeat the manuver once more. After that I was able to make it on my own and the trail got better. Said my goodbyes to my helpful friends and that god offel poision creek road. The tiger is still not speaking!
If this comes out as a book, I'M BUYING IT! Great story,
Old 08-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #13236
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by carabnsol View Post
If this comes out as a book, I'M BUYING IT! Great story,
+1. Good stuff!
Supahflid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #13237
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,769
Oh that was great.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #13238
Dirtroadsinms
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Lost on an atv trail

Yeah that was a great story I wish I had pictures of those downhill stretches with that guys 4 wheeler tied to my Tiger but I was a little busy
Dirtroadsinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #13239
stewarrd
JHF

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtroadsinms View Post
Yeah that was a great story I wish I had pictures of those downhill stretches with that guys 4 wheeler tied to my Tiger but I was a little busy
Just a Little??
1975 Honda CB 750
2005 Kawasaki KDX220R and 1990 Honda CT 70
stewarrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #13240
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 897
Quote:

Sometimes I wish ADVrider had a like button!
babarnette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #13241
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
Sometimes I wish ADVrider had a like button!
Agreed. Great story
Old 08-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #13242
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1298 View Post
Agreed. Great story
#like
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #13243
990 trailblazer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
flying monkey the end

We are all back at camp more or less in one piece after saturdays festivities and after some cold beers and a meal the discussions turn to Sundays ride. The orginizer told us Sunday is usally a slow day for folks to rest or take a short ride and prepair for departure.

One group is going to the edge of the grand canyon, but it sounds like a long flat dusty path, we'll pass. another group is heading out early, but mostly dirt bikes and some trailering is envolved, we'll pass.

Dirtroads makes no bones about his sunday ride, and says If I see even a small piece of gravel on the smooth blacktop I'm on, I'm turning around! Roy is thinking he needs to get back to work while he can still at least see his desk before it is covered completely. I have had enough dust and rocks to last me a while so we deceided to head home Sunday.

Roy wants to leave early and make it home in 2 days. I'm sure yall saw some of his pics on the way I want to spend some time traveling through the mountains and pass through one of my favorite places in the Carson NF in N Mex on the way home and Dirtroads is OK with that.

When I get up Sunday Roy is already packed and about ready to leave. We say our goodbyes and he is off. Thanks Roy for helping make this a great trip and for helping Greg and I pick up the Ktm on the side of the road after a side stand/operator error.

Greg and I take our time packing up and around noon head out. I want him to see some of the great scenery he missed on the last half of Saturdays ride while he was off playing with 4 wheelers, so we headed out on HWY 12 through some very wild canyon land. We started gaining altitude and soon were in a alpine forrest that went on for miles with amazing views of the canyons below. We stoped several times to enjoy the view and take pictures before going down out of the mountains and into another senic canyon. We looked for a room in Hanksville but found nothing much so deceided to ride on to the next town. The ride to Blanding was kind of , well, bland, but we did find a room and a meal.

Monday found us back in the mountains through the corner of Colorado and into N Mex and the Val Vadel section of the Carson NF. This is a place I'm pretty familiar with and have riden horses over much of the 100,000 acers. We rode through the campground where our family camped many times and onto a road that I remembered making a large loop through the forrest. I didn't remember it being so rough or so long and after an hour or so Dirtroads wanted more information about this road. His GPS was not giving him a warm fuzzy about where we were going and I didn't have a lot of answers except that I was pretty sure I had been through here 20 years ago. We had gone so far that neighter one of us wanted to go back so we continued on. Finally we came out on the main gravel road right where I remembered but I let out a big sigh of relief.

We rode up on top the mountain and enjoyed our last view of the high medow and headed out the long dusty gravel road to the highway. after a few miles of watching the dust cloud with a headlight behind me I stoped and we deceided to ride side by side. He stuck beside me like glue and we rode pretty hard until we got to the section the road grader had "fixed" and after that we both slowed considerably. Made the 40 miles to the highway and that was the last gravel of the trip. This excursion had cost us a couple hundred miles or so and several hours but It is a beautiful place and we both enjoyed it.

Rode into Raton and on to Clayton for the night and a great meal at a little mom and pop resturant right as they were closing. You never know where you can get food by looking at the building.

Tuesday I was planning on heading to Amarillo picking up 40 and making it to somewhere east of OK city, spend the night, then home on Wednesday. Greg had been punching buttons on the GPS and says there are some routes that will get us home Tuesday night and its only 960 miles give or take! I say as far as I'm conserned the vacation is over and It's just a matter of getting home so if you can get us home in one day is fine with me.

We leave a little earlier than usual and I fall in behind the homeward bound tiger. We head southeast through witchita falls and angle east of dallas through miles and miles of urban sprawl all the while making good time until we hit I20 at tyler. Dirtroads does a good job of keeping us out of jail as we are way past any hope of talking a leo out of giving us many pieces of paper.

Our last gas stop is Monroe and we say our goodbyes. Dirtroads is good for his word and I make it home after 960 miles and 16 hours.

Thanks Greg and Roy for joining me on this ride. I think we all learned something about our bikes,our abilities, and our beautiful country that we are blessed beyond reason to be able to enjoy. Till next time Bob
990 trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #13244
Knightwork
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Now that is a ride report !!!!!!!!!!!!

'09 R1200GSA (Frau Brueller)
Knightwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:42 AM   #13245
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,601