Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #14056
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,266
Hey Switch, it took awhile but it is finally mine... hated I let it slip by the first time!!!

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #14057
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,920
sweet if you need any info on it just ask, LMC truck is a great place to cross reference parts for it, And I dont know if anything has been done to it since it left here other then the bed being removed but I've always been able to fill the master-cylinder up with fluid and slowly work the peddle to work the air up out of it and get the brakes to work. I rebuilt the whole system except for the master, it would leaked down over two months so i just topped it off when I needed to.

and I don't know if he ever got the tittle on it or not. I haven't found the thing here yet but if you need us to sine anything to get one we'll get that done for you.

Edit. well there is hope. i found the tittle for the FZ and my XL, I'll keep digging.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.

Switchblade315 screwed with this post 01-09-2014 at 05:06 PM
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #14058
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
sweet if you need any info on it just ask, LMC truck is a great place to cross reference parts for it, And I dont know if anything has been done to it since it left here other then the bed being removed but I've always been able to fill the master-cylinder up with fluid and slowly work the peddle to work the air up out of it and get the brakes to work. I rebuilt the whole system except for the master, it would leaked down over two months so i just topped it off when I needed to.

and I don't know if he ever got the tittle on it or not. I haven't found the thing here yet but if you need us to sine anything to get one we'll get that done for you.

Edit. well there is hope. i found the tittle for the FZ and my XL, I'll keep digging.
He said he never got a title from you. He hauled it home, then sold it to his daughters boyfriend, who is a mechanic, but he needed some money to fix his main vehicle that blew an engine so he offered it back to me. I hated to take it away from him, but I am very happy to finally have it. Hope to find some time to pick through it and figure where to start and what all it needs. It was getting dark by the time we got it back in Rankin county, so I didn't get to mess with it much. Don't think they did anything to it.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #14059
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
He said he never got a title from you. He hauled it home, then sold it to his daughters boyfriend, who is a mechanic, but he needed some money to fix his main vehicle that blew an engine so he offered it back to me. I hated to take it away from him, but I am very happy to finally have it. Hope to find some time to pick through it and figure where to start and what all it needs. It was getting dark by the time we got it back in Rankin county, so I didn't get to mess with it much. Don't think they did anything to it.

when it left here it needed fresh gas, a battery, and the master-cylinder refilled and the air worked out of it. all the lights work the turn sigs work, and the motor is good. fuel pump was fairly new. and it will need a horn cause i kept the trumpets i had on it. everything else is cosmetic. the drive train is great on it.

the speedo might not work, i cant remember if it did the last time I had it on the road. and yes i did drive it on the highway, it will run 55 but it's geared low.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #14060
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
when it left here it needed fresh gas, a battery, and the master-cylinder refilled and the air worked out of it. all the lights work the turn sigs work, and the motor is good. fuel pump was fairly new. and it will need a horn cause i kept the trumpets i had on it. everything else is cosmetic. the drive train is great on it.

the speedo might not work, i cant remember if it did the last time I had it on the road. and yes i did drive it on the highway, it will run 55 but it's geared low.
Cool! That gives me a starting point!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #14061
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

there's a round plug in the driver floor bored, take it out and the cap for the master-cylinder is down there. it has been converted to 12V but teh started is still 6V so if you have to spin it much to get it cranked let it cool off after 15 or 20 seconds of turning the motor over. also if it wasn't drove up on the trailer and hasn't run in some time, if you take the oil bath air cleaner off there's a tube sticking up in the carb you can fill the bowl of the carb up by pouring gas into that tube. that way it will crank up with ease. and did they show you the happy spot for the choke? yes i know tricks. the weather looks good this weekend i was going to ride somewhere if you want i can run down and go over all the things i replaced with you.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #14062
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
there's a round plug in the driver floor bored, take it out and the cap for the master-cylinder is down there. it has been converted to 12V but teh started is still 6V so if you have to spin it much to get it cranked let it cool off after 15 or 20 seconds of turning the motor over. also if it wasn't drove up on the trailer and hasn't run in some time, if you take the oil bath air cleaner off there's a tube sticking up in the carb you can fill the bowl of the carb up by pouring gas into that tube. that way it will crank up with ease. and did they show you the happy spot for the choke? yes i know tricks. the weather looks good this weekend i was going to ride somewhere if you want i can run down and go over all the things i replaced with you.
Good to know... Standard DOT brake fluid? They didn't show me anything about it.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #14063
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Good to know... Standard DOT brake fluid? They didn't show me anything about it.

yeah just dot3. it leaks out past the plunger I rebuilt it but it was pitted bad at the end so it leaked the resivor over about two months.

and I have to work on my truck Saturday morning, but Saturday afternoon or Sunday I can probably ride by. i hope you got all the extra parts I gave them

Old 01-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #14064
OTRATT
On The Road All The Time

Oddometer: 161
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
Hey Anti, glad you're gonna be moving down this way. There are a few reason why I wouldn't want to live anywhere in hinds county, a few of which have already been mentioned. Tags, taxes, crime, and utilities are much higher than Rankin and Madison. The roads are crap, as is the sewer system, and the city is broke and it's trying it's best to drive off what little tax base they have left. I enjoy living on the reservoir. The schools are good and the children in my neighborhood can be seen playing out of sight of their parents for hours at a time. My taxes, tags, and utilities are low, and my wife has a relatively short (30 minutes in traffic) commute to work (downtown at RPA Architect on Lamar st). Madison county taxes and tags are a little higher than Rankin's but that's really the main difference that I can see, well that and the people are snootier.
OTRATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #14065
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRATT View Post
Like I said, snootier. I grew up in "Madison The City" so I speak from experience.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #14066
OTRATT
On The Road All The Time

Oddometer: 161
Yeah, I think I just proved your point.
OTRATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:47 AM   #14067
CrashDummy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
Like I said, snootier. I grew up in "Madison The City" so I speak from experience.
We're not snooty, just better than everyone else.
If you posted a thread on Face Plant that you crashed because an eagle attacked your helmet, you'd get five people saying how you should know better than to paint your helmet _________ and another five who will suggest you should have taken the MSF Eagle Avoidance course. Then another five will say the Eagle Avoidance Course sucks....
CrashDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 AM   #14068
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,251
Hey BW or Switch, what year is that? '53? We've got a '53 dump truck down at the farm that my Dad is just starting to make noises about restoring. It's pretty rough, but all the parts are there.

Seems to be the season for getting old stuff running. Got tires put on the old Jimmy yesterday. It made it to the tire shop and back, but it's not happy running on the 6 year old gas. The brakes are a little soft too, but nothing fluid and maybe pads won't fix. All in all, it's amazing it runs as well as it does though. Hopefully I'll get it back to Columbus in a few weeks.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:10 AM   #14069
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Switch can verify, but from what I remember, its a 51-52-53 Frankentruck :-)
Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #14070
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

the body is a 52 and that's what its tittled as, going by other things like front shocks, the frame is a 49. My grandfather built it and put a dump bed on it to haul scrap mettle to Jackson, the closest scrap place was down town and it made quite a few trips down there. my dad can remember going with him and it being loaded so heavy that in low they could count every time a cylinder would fire going up capital hill. 1st gear is good for about 5mph by the way. anyway he had two of them. My dad has said that this one was built from a bread truck. everything for a regular Chevy of that time will fit the front half of it. but the rear you have to get parts for a 1Ton. I think the load of scrap that was so heavy was 2.5tons. and I've seen it carry two cords of pulp wood many times because dad used it for extra spending money when I was a kid.

and please tell me you got the extra parts BW it had a good set of running boards and the mounts to put modern shocks on the front.