Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #14056
optikalilluzion4
Okie Dokie

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrgreg View Post
With the right equipment, it is very comfy. I had a Russell Seat and ATV bars on my 2008 KLR. I think I could have ridden it to the moon. But, not on the freeway. It's not a 65plus mph bike for a long distance. Two Lane back roads are great on it though!
You are correct sir. I get on the interstate with that thing and I am blowing all over the road. But when I rode it from Lake Charles to here on backroads, I had a freakin' blast. But on a 1600 mile trip with not a whole lot of extra days to spare, we need to hit the interstate all the way there to get to the fun stuff and have time to play on the fun stuff.
optikalilluzion4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:01 PM   #14057
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by optikalilluzion4 View Post
I have to get the bike ready for my trip to Arizona at the end of March. I would hate to have to ride the KLR all the way there and back. But if I have to, I so could.

Its just not a great interstate bike because it is so light.
Your KLR should do fine on the interstate. It's only about 100lbs lighter than your BMW and it's over 100lbs heavier than my XR650L that does pretty good on the interstate.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:40 PM   #14058
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,597
The problem with KLRs on the interstate has nothing to do with weight. Its gearing / RPMs and oil burning at interstate speeds.

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #14059
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,692
hey guys I have a dilemma and i want to know what y'all would do. I'm 99% sure I'm going to get a new CB500X. I've been approved for a lone through Honda but found out I can get one a 3.2% somewhere else. here's the deal I want to sale the little NX for part of a down payment. but that may take a wile. right now there is a 2013 sitting on the floor at Brookhaven. has a really good price on it to make room for the 2014s. the 14's are a few hundred more. money that could be put toward accessories I'm going to get anyway but some I may just not get if I hit my peak of funds.

now here's the thing. I'm getting a nice chunk of my taxes back. I have a few things I have to fix or buy but that's going to leave a nice size chunk of cash still. I was planning to pay some of a long term bill down with some of that and stick the rest back. first year I have been able to do that since Liz got sick and I found out how much money she had spent behind my back and had in debt. anyway I could take some of that money and make the down payment on the bike and then put the money from the NX toward the other bill.

this could get me the 2013 like I want for a cheaper price and get more farkels on it out the door. this is what I'm thinking about doing because it would give me time to get the plastic repainted on the NX and have it ready to sale for spring and maybe make a little off it instead of just getting my money back.

So what would y'all do?

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:16 PM   #14060
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
The problem with KLRs on the interstate has nothing to do with weight. Its gearing / RPMs and oil burning at interstate speeds.
My XR really only burns oil when you try to go over 100mph...
Old 01-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #14061
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
hey guys I have a dilemma and i want to know what y'all would do. I'm 99% sure I'm going to get a new CB500X. I've been approved for a lone through Honda but found out I can get one a 3.2% somewhere else. here's the deal I want to sale the little NX for part of a down payment. but that may take a wile. right now there is a 2013 sitting on the floor at Brookhaven. has a really good price on it to make room for the 2014s. the 14's are a few hundred more. money that could be put toward accessories I'm going to get anyway but some I may just not get if I hit my peak of funds.

now here's the thing. I'm getting a nice chunk of my taxes back. I have a few things I have to fix or buy but that's going to leave a nice size chunk of cash still. I was planning to pay some of a long term bill down with some of that and stick the rest back. first year I have been able to do that since Liz got sick and I found out how much money she had spent behind my back and had in debt. anyway I could take some of that money and make the down payment on the bike and then put the money from the NX toward the other bill.

this could get me the 2013 like I want for a cheaper price and get more farkels on it out the door. this is what I'm thinking about doing because it would give me time to get the plastic repainted on the NX and have it ready to sale for spring and maybe make a little off it instead of just getting my money back.

So what would y'all do?
All I can say is "No plan survives contact with the enemy" -Moltke the Elder

Really though, only you know what is right for you. Plan as best as you can and do whatever feels right. I do think now is a better time to buy and spring will be a better time to sell though.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:28 PM   #14062
optikalilluzion4
Okie Dokie

Oddometer: 360
I never had any problem with the bike at 70mph, but when I was on the interstate, the bike was blowing all over the road when it is very windy. The GS hardly feels the wind most of the time. My KLR is actually a little more comfortable on my legs. So what to do?? What to do???
optikalilluzion4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:33 PM   #14063
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
My XR really only burns oil when you try to go over 100mph...
And thats when it spits your iPhone into the asphalt. ..

Old 01-31-2014, 05:34 PM   #14064
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
And thats when it spits your iPhone into the asphalt. ..
and an ant bed...
Old 01-31-2014, 05:35 PM   #14065
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by optikalilluzion4 View Post
I never had any problem with the bike at 70mph, but when I was on the interstate, the bike was blowing all over the road when it is very windy. The GS hardly feels the wind most of the time. My KLR is actually a little more comfortable on my legs. So what to do?? What to do???
That probably has more to do with your suspension and ride height than the weight of the bike.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:50 PM   #14066
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

Oddometer: 686
Traded my xr for a 06 ninja 650r... Not a bad trade but the ninja will defiantly get painted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aaron2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:51 PM   #14067
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
That probably has more to do with your suspension and ride height than the weight of the bike.

True... a lot of sag in rear shock can cause this. My fat butt on my stock KLR suspension was a wobbly ride with a light front end because of the sag. After upgrading to CG Dynamics Moab suspension, KLR rode like it was on rails.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:44 PM   #14068
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron2a View Post
Traded my xr for a 06 ninja 650r... Not a bad trade but the ninja will defiantly get painted

yeah that's fugly

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:47 PM   #14069
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

Defiantly needs paint... I think the owner was on drugs and got his buddy that was also on drugs to help him paint it lol

Old 01-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #14070
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

Wouldn't be a bad paint job if they picked a better color... I'm thinking just black