ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #14056
optikalilluzion4
Okie Dokie
 
optikalilluzion4's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Brandon, Mississippi
Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrgreg View Post
With the right equipment, it is very comfy. I had a Russell Seat and ATV bars on my 2008 KLR. I think I could have ridden it to the moon. But, not on the freeway. It's not a 65plus mph bike for a long distance. Two Lane back roads are great on it though!
You are correct sir. I get on the interstate with that thing and I am blowing all over the road. But when I rode it from Lake Charles to here on backroads, I had a freakin' blast. But on a 1600 mile trip with not a whole lot of extra days to spare, we need to hit the interstate all the way there to get to the fun stuff and have time to play on the fun stuff.
optikalilluzion4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:01 PM   #14057
babarnette
Studly Adventurer
 
babarnette's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Brandon, MS (On The Rez)
Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by optikalilluzion4 View Post
I have to get the bike ready for my trip to Arizona at the end of March. I would hate to have to ride the KLR all the way there and back. But if I have to, I so could.

Its just not a great interstate bike because it is so light.
Your KLR should do fine on the interstate. It's only about 100lbs lighter than your BMW and it's over 100lbs heavier than my XR650L that does pretty good on the interstate.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:40 PM   #14058
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer
 
backwoodsKLR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Central Mississippi
Oddometer: 9,597
The problem with KLRs on the interstate has nothing to do with weight. Its gearing / RPMs and oil burning at interstate speeds.
__________________
2013 Tiger 800XC
Explore: Backwoods, MS
MS Tag-O-Rama Map / Jackson, MS Local Tag-O-Rama Map

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #14059
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer
 
Switchblade315's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: personal hell
Oddometer: 5,692
hey guys I have a dilemma and i want to know what y'all would do. I'm 99% sure I'm going to get a new CB500X. I've been approved for a lone through Honda but found out I can get one a 3.2% somewhere else. here's the deal I want to sale the little NX for part of a down payment. but that may take a wile. right now there is a 2013 sitting on the floor at Brookhaven. has a really good price on it to make room for the 2014s. the 14's are a few hundred more. money that could be put toward accessories I'm going to get anyway but some I may just not get if I hit my peak of funds.

now here's the thing. I'm getting a nice chunk of my taxes back. I have a few things I have to fix or buy but that's going to leave a nice size chunk of cash still. I was planning to pay some of a long term bill down with some of that and stick the rest back. first year I have been able to do that since Liz got sick and I found out how much money she had spent behind my back and had in debt. anyway I could take some of that money and make the down payment on the bike and then put the money from the NX toward the other bill.

this could get me the 2013 like I want for a cheaper price and get more farkels on it out the door. this is what I'm thinking about doing because it would give me time to get the plastic repainted on the NX and have it ready to sale for spring and maybe make a little off it instead of just getting my money back.

So what would y'all do?
__________________
When I die bury me upside down so the whole world can kiss my ass.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:16 PM   #14060
babarnette
Studly Adventurer
 
babarnette's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Brandon, MS (On The Rez)
Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
The problem with KLRs on the interstate has nothing to do with weight. Its gearing / RPMs and oil burning at interstate speeds.
My XR really only burns oil when you try to go over 100mph...
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #14061
babarnette
Studly Adventurer
 
babarnette's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Brandon, MS (On The Rez)
Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
hey guys I have a dilemma and i want to know what y'all would do. I'm 99% sure I'm going to get a new CB500X. I've been approved for a lone through Honda but found out I can get one a 3.2% somewhere else. here's the deal I want to sale the little NX for part of a down payment. but that may take a wile. right now there is a 2013 sitting on the floor at Brookhaven. has a really good price on it to make room for the 2014s. the 14's are a few hundred more. money that could be put toward accessories I'm going to get anyway but some I may just not get if I hit my peak of funds.

now here's the thing. I'm getting a nice chunk of my taxes back. I have a few things I have to fix or buy but that's going to leave a nice size chunk of cash still. I was planning to pay some of a long term bill down with some of that and stick the rest back. first year I have been able to do that since Liz got sick and I found out how much money she had spent behind my back and had in debt. anyway I could take some of that money and make the down payment on the bike and then put the money from the NX toward the other bill.

this could get me the 2013 like I want for a cheaper price and get more farkels on it out the door. this is what I'm thinking about doing because it would give me time to get the plastic repainted on the NX and have it ready to sale for spring and maybe make a little off it instead of just getting my money back.

So what would y'all do?
All I can say is "No plan survives contact with the enemy" -Moltke the Elder

Really though, only you know what is right for you. Plan as best as you can and do whatever feels right. I do think now is a better time to buy and spring will be a better time to sell though.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:28 PM   #14062
optikalilluzion4
Okie Dokie
 
optikalilluzion4's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Brandon, Mississippi
Oddometer: 360
I never had any problem with the bike at 70mph, but when I was on the interstate, the bike was blowing all over the road when it is very windy. The GS hardly feels the wind most of the time. My KLR is actually a little more comfortable on my legs. So what to do?? What to do???
optikalilluzion4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:33 PM   #14063
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer
 
backwoodsKLR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Central Mississippi
Oddometer: 9,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
My XR really only burns oil when you try to go over 100mph...
And thats when it spits your iPhone into the asphalt. ..
__________________
2013 Tiger 800XC
Explore: Backwoods, MS
MS Tag-O-Rama Map / Jackson, MS Local Tag-O-Rama Map

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:34 PM   #14064
babarnette
Studly Adventurer
 
babarnette's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Brandon, MS (On The Rez)
Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
And thats when it spits your iPhone into the asphalt. ..
and an ant bed...
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:35 PM   #14065
babarnette
Studly Adventurer
 
babarnette's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Brandon, MS (On The Rez)
Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by optikalilluzion4 View Post
I never had any problem with the bike at 70mph, but when I was on the interstate, the bike was blowing all over the road when it is very windy. The GS hardly feels the wind most of the time. My KLR is actually a little more comfortable on my legs. So what to do?? What to do???
That probably has more to do with your suspension and ride height than the weight of the bike.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:50 PM   #14066
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan
 
aaron2a's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: canton, ms
Oddometer: 686
Traded my xr for a 06 ninja 650r... Not a bad trade but the ninja will defiantly get painted



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aaron2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:51 PM   #14067
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer
 
backwoodsKLR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Central Mississippi
Oddometer: 9,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
That probably has more to do with your suspension and ride height than the weight of the bike.

True... a lot of sag in rear shock can cause this. My fat butt on my stock KLR suspension was a wobbly ride with a light front end because of the sag. After upgrading to CG Dynamics Moab suspension, KLR rode like it was on rails.
__________________
2013 Tiger 800XC
Explore: Backwoods, MS
MS Tag-O-Rama Map / Jackson, MS Local Tag-O-Rama Map

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:44 PM   #14068
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer
 
Switchblade315's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: personal hell
Oddometer: 5,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron2a View Post
Traded my xr for a 06 ninja 650r... Not a bad trade but the ninja will defiantly get painted



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah that's fugly
__________________
When I die bury me upside down so the whole world can kiss my ass.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:47 PM   #14069
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan
 
aaron2a's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: canton, ms
Oddometer: 686
Defiantly needs paint... I think the owner was on drugs and got his buddy that was also on drugs to help him paint it lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aaron2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #14070
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan
 
aaron2a's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: canton, ms
Oddometer: 686
Wouldn't be a bad paint job if they picked a better color... I'm thinking just black


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aaron2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015