Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #181
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Got the same question. I wasn't satisfied with the answers I got from the distributer and Emailed Bitubo directly. No answer.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #182
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind
If these things are gas charged (are they realy?), how are they serviced?
If the internals are anything like a typical shock, the N2 charge would be at the bottom. I'd guess there's a fitting either visible on the bottom of the unit (when the bolt is not installed) or the bottom 'end cap' of the unit threads off to expose the actual N2 fitting. That is, if there is a fitting. If there's not, I'm sure its still sealed from the bottom.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #183
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Update??

So, what's the word? Are you guys still happy with the performance of the bitubo kit? Any comments now that more time has gone by?
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #184
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
So, what's the word? Are you guys still happy with the performance of the bitubo kit? Any comments now that more time has gone by?
Yes!
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #185
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,219
Oh yea. Transformed the bike for me.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #186
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,859

Very easy install IF you have the impact wrench. My friend Steve said "oh yeah, I have an electric impact wrench". So I go pick it up from him and it looks like it is from the 1950s, it weighs about 50 lbs.
So, I get to the point when I need to tighten the bottom bolt and sure enough the old antique didn't have the power, it was just spinning.
I took the forks down to Sears tire/brake garage and they hit it with a real impact gun.
I haven't had a chance to really test them yet, but just riding home I noticed the difference when pulling the front brake, much less dive, and I went down a short dirt alley about 4 times and it feels much better.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #187
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,730
You will be satisfied...
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:23 AM   #188
mtm100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Bitubo Fork Kit Life

How many miles do people have on these? I'm a little concerned about long
term life as these don't appear to be serviceable.

Thanks,
Mark
mtm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 AM   #189
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Around 2,500 working miles on mine. No problems. Hey for what they cost if they last 15k, I'll just throw in another set If I had to !

Old 07-28-2009, 06:11 AM   #190
mtm100
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Around 2,500 working miles on mine. No problems. Hey for what they cost if they last 15k, I'll just throw in another set If I had to !
Agreed, I'm hearing that a conventional cartridge set up with springs may cost twice as much. For the cost I think I'll give the Bitubo set up a try.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #191
mtm100
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm100
Agreed, I'm hearing that a conventional cartridge set up with springs may cost twice as much. For the cost I think I'll give the Bitubo set up a try.
Just talked to the US distributor and a shipment is due in about a week.
I ordered a set and they said they should have plenty available for
those interested.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #192
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm100
I'm hearing that a conventional cartridge set up with springs may cost twice as much.
Where did you hear that? I haven't seen any chatter...pretty much at all on the subject. The issue IMHO is not how much it costs, its how easily its done, and with what parts.

Its not clear, to me at least, which internals are a 'direct' swap, since most of the Zokes out there have more suspension travel than the GS. But assuming at least some of the late model Husqvarna dampers will work, you won't spend much more--if any more at all--than the Bitubo kit for fleabay forks, new springs, and a shop revalve.

The other option is a complete graft of you-name-it forks. Plenty of people do it to plenty of bikes (early 2000's WR forks are apparently popular for the F650 singles, for instance), and depending on the parts those swaps can often end up relatively plug and play. In that case, you're still not spending much more than the Bitubo...but you are doing alot of pathfinding.

As a side note, any of you Bitubo guys want to sell me your stock innards for cheap?
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #193
mtm100
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
Where did you hear that? I haven't seen any chatter...pretty much at all on the subject. The issue IMHO is not how much it costs, its how easily its done, and with what parts.

Its not clear, to me at least, which internals are a 'direct' swap, since most of the Zokes out there have more suspension travel than the GS. But assuming at least some of the late model Husqvarna dampers will work, you won't spend much more--if any more at all--than the Bitubo kit for fleabay forks, new springs, and a shop revalve.

The other option is a complete graft of you-name-it forks. Plenty of people do it to plenty of bikes (early 2000's WR forks are apparently popular for the F650 singles, for instance), and depending on the parts those swaps can often end up relatively plug and play. In that case, you're still not spending much more than the Bitubo...but you are doing alot of pathfinding.

As a side note, any of you Bitubo guys want to sell me your stock innards for cheap?
I'm going on advice from a buddy with a lot of suspension experience.
From what I hear he can't even get the springs we want without sending
the forks to be modified for the new springs. (Non progressive)
One of his suppliers supposedly has adapted a cartridge to this for but
he suspects it may be about twice the Bitubo cost. Too much for me.

As far as adapting a fork from another bike to this one. I have first hand
experience with that. I recently adapted a set of Ohlin’s forks for a CRF to
a Honda XR. My machining time to adapt the triple clamps and mount a
Beringer caliper was more than the Bitubo cost. Its a big job but can be done. Others may fit right up but if they don't its a project.

On another note when he test rode the bike he thought the fork was
pretty good for general use. Fast off-road use should show its short comings but he couldn't produce it. He thought the Bitubo was a inexpensive fix.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #194
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,096
Somewhere in this thread people talked about an optimum range for rider's weight when buying this kit, so, without reviewing the whole thing, is there anybody out there who's 220 to 250 lb. and who's tried the Bitubo kit?

As to prices, I've been told $1500 and up to "fix my suspension." That was from a couple of outfits near me. Needless to say, I'm still looking but I want a better non-progressive spring, damn it!
Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #195
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

I have been giving the Bitubos a workout since install. They are a huge improvement.
If anyone thinks about installing or trying to install the Zoke Shiver innards into these thinking it will be an improvement, dont bother, they are worse then the stock BMW zoke units. I had a 610 and it's the #1 complaint or close to it. They suck. God aweful fork action, or inaction I should say. Even after a complete revalve and re spring, they still were terrible
So far, this was the best thing I did for the 800 hands down. And I have done a lot