Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #211
never.ride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
I talked to them today to place an order for my 800. They said Thursday or Friday for delivery. We'll see
never.ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #212
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,565
Got my Bitubo unit today. Want to verify that these are adjustable for preload right? Asking because I can't turn the adjustment wheel for either one. They look like they are just screwed in tight for max preload. Thought I would check before bringing out the pipe wrench.

Would do you know, springs same length as the Hyperpros. Maybe hyperbitubo
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #213
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,714
My pre load adjusters are pretty stiff to turn. Mine were delivered full out. I believe you can mess things up by unscrewing them further (counterclockwise).
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:57 AM   #214
jeffchri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
Got my Bitubo unit today. Want to verify that these are adjustable for preload right? Asking because I can't turn the adjustment wheel for either one. They look like they are just screwed in tight for max preload. Thought I would check before bringing out the pipe wrench.
Mine were dialed full-out as well, and pretty darn hard to move (e.g. I have a stubby wrench along with me to twiddle them and it doesn't really give me enough leverage to turn them comfortably). I didn't find you could accidentally back them out, though I believe the manual mentions not doing it.
2010 BMW S1000RR - soooooon, very soooon ...

Recent past: Montesa 4RT (now in the hands of the fiancee), Weestrom, F650GS Dakar, Yammy WR250F, (a scooter), (another scooter)
jeffchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #215
never.ride
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm

Would do you know, springs same length as the Hyperpros. Maybe hyperbitubo
Yup, I got mine in last night and noticed the same thing, super hard to turn. Took a quick and it al ready seems different. Higher in the stroke, no brake dive, stiff, all the thing y'all have been saying.

Put a new Ohlins in the rear at the same time. Gonna go roll this AM
Old 08-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #216
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,164
You use a wrench to turn them. I forget the size. as a side note, 4,500 shock asorbing miles and they are still going strong. No problems yet.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #217
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

There is a manual? I didn't get one. Been trying to reach the distributor with no answer results. Basically wanted to know the position of the adjuster as shipped before I hamfisted it the wrong way. Looks like out it is.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #218
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Ok starting to start. I am missing my 50mm torx socket, am I correct in that is the one I need?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #219
never.ride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh man. Just got back from riding some of my local stuff here in and around Boulder. Switzerland Trail, Peaceful Valley, etc. Like riding a different bike. No more dive, it rides over the rocky stuff and washboard with ease. I would bottom the bike out every time I rode these trails and now it didn't even come close. I'm 155 with all my gear and the front seems to work well for me.

The fact I added an Ohlins to the rear at the same time didn't hurt either This guy was made custom to my weight, riding style, etc. Build quality was awesome and the rebound and preload adjustments make a big difference.

Did both the front and rear installations myself and it was a snap. Took about 2.5 hours total.

Crappy cell phone pic:

Old 08-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #220
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Got mine in also, I would like to embellish a little as my base line was the 12th or 13th version of Hyperpro +mods. Disasembly and installation was very easy. I took a little longer as I made some comparisons along the way.
I had toyed with the idea of a Hyper/Bitubo mix, but the Hyperpro spring is a full inch shorter. Could be used along with some spacers but I just went with the supplied kit.
When you guys say rides high in the stroke you were not kidding. A full 1.25" increase in sag higth for the bike alone and 1/2" with bike+rider. Very simliar to my previous coil spacer mod only the percentage of one to other were inverse, which is good.
Maybe not as noticeable an improvement as others have stated, but I think my baseline was different and I am using a stock rear shock with the Hyprpro spring. No question about it, this setup is superior to what I had. The bigger the rock or deeper the hole the better it felt. You can't entirely hide poor valving.
My previous ride at this sag level made the front end feel like it would wash out. This didn't feel like that, but it is slower to turn than my latest mod.
My concerns over loss of balance between front and back is a non issue. The rear suspension feels very good.
I need more time on the bike, but the 15 or 20 miles that I did get to ride is pretty representative and this mod is worth every penney.

edit. Re: the ride height for the front. My previous Hyperpro rear spring had already raised that end of the bike, so the increase of front height was not as pronounced as it would have been on a stock rear shock. I think to use this kit alone will cause some steering issues as it will increase rake significantly.

itsatdm screwed with this post 08-30-2009 at 02:19 PM
Old 08-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #221
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Well I know what I'll be doing at some point in the near future.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #222
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Did someone or can the next person to install them please take some pictures of the top & bottom of the cartridge for me? I'd like to see what there is to work with in the way of accessing valving and how they've pressurised them. By all reports these things sound great, but I'd be changing fork oil twice a year at the rate I'm riding and replacing the units each time (heck, even annually) would get a bit expensive...

Also open to experienced opinions on this!
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #223
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

No picture, but if you look back through the thread you will find some. I asked the same questions and never got a definative answer. Of this I am reasonable sure. The valve cartridge is sealed. It comes precharged with gas and I assume an unknown type oil. The fork tube is filled with a 2 wt. oil that only lubricates the internal tube and provides an airgap and some cushion. Fork oil as we know it does not go through the cartridge. They are completely separate.
I was told it was rebuildable, the bottom of the tube looks like it could be unscrewed, but was not about to do it. I was also told it takes a special tool to recharge it. You should ask the distributer those questions, I got vague answers that amounted to no more than, yes they are rebuildable and parts are available. No one I know has ever reported seeing the internal parts nor have I seen any schematic design.
If anybody knows more, I would love to know also.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #224
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,714
I have no idea how these are recharged, but they do appear easy to disassemble. How the gas is released prior is a mystery to me.

johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #225
mtm100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I've got mine in and a great improvment as stated. The ride height increase
is killing me though. I tried to turn the preload and couldn't easily so I figured it was out all the way. Then had to crank up the preload on the rear
almost to the max to get a reasonable sag settings. Now I'm wondering if the caps had some or all the preload dialed in. My guess is no, the springs
are just stiffer. When you dial the preload out all the way can you feel a
noticable stop in the adjustment?
mtm100 is offline   Reply With Quote